Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

2 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Hospitals and their suppliers aren’t essential?  Food?  Medication? Police?  EMS?  I agree that there were a lot of errors made in what was considered essential, but disagree that there are “virtually no essential jobs.”

Hospitals, fire, police, EMT, pharmacies and groceries. We had WAY more open than just those things. 

I continue to be confused on reports of "new cases".  I was formally tested once so far (for hospital admission).  I know others who have been tested multiple times formally.  Is someone tying tests outcomes to specific people?  If the same person test positive multiple times are they all recorded as "new cases"?  Is it common to retest after a positive and get another positive and thus have at least 2 "new cases" when really there is only 1? 

Reporting test results is not the same as actual people result.  I know of one person who has tested positive in this.  And I know hundreds of people.  The statistics do not seem to match real life. 

On deaths, its hard to get a feel for what is explicitly COVID or primarily COVID and where COVID was present but played no factor at all since all deaths where there is a positive test are treated and reported as COVID death.  Yesterdays press briefing included 8 deaths.  6 of the 8 were 88 years old or older.  2 were over 100.  

Finally, on masks.  Still not a fan.  Did a test while hooked up on O2 monitor.   Elevated respiratory a bit while wear the standard "surgical mask".  That should help saturate O2 (started at 98 with a very normal shallow respiratory rate (about 15 bpm)).  It quickly dropped to 95 saturation and the nurse disconnected before I knew where it would level out.  The reason for the reduction was obvious.  The CO2 laden air did not have a chance to clear and you re-breath your exhalation.  So there is definite potential negative impact.  Mask use does impact your respiratory function, especially under exertion.  Maybe it was the fact there was an air pocket inside the mask vs. being tight and snug. 

Went to the Fayette Mall on Friday.  Even if you believe masks have substantial positive impact you should probably avoid going to the mall and seeing how mask use looks in practice.   There is the textbook ideal and then there is the reality out in the field.  Boy are they different. 

Take care all.  Do what you have to do right now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

1. I continue to be confused on reports of "new cases".  I was formally tested once so far (for hospital admission).  I know others who have been tested multiple times formally.  Is someone tying tests outcomes to specific people?  If the same person test positive multiple times are they all recorded as "new cases"?  Is it common to retest after a positive and get another positive and thus have at least 2 "new cases" when really there is only 1? 

2. Reporting test results is not the same as actual people result.  I know of one person who has tested positive in this.  And I know hundreds of people.  The statistics do not seem to match real life. 

3. On deaths, its hard to get a feel for what is explicitly COVID or primarily COVID and where COVID was present but played no factor at all since all deaths where there is a positive test are treated and reported as COVID death.  Yesterdays press briefing included 8 deaths.  6 of the 8 were 88 years old or older.  2 were over 100.  

4. Finally, on masks.  Still not a fan.  Did a test while hooked up on O2 monitor.   Elevated respiratory a bit while wear the standard "surgical mask".  That should help saturate O2 (started at 98 with a very normal shallow respiratory rate (about 15 bpm)).  It quickly dropped to 95 saturation and the nurse disconnected before I knew where it would level out.  The reason for the reduction was obvious.  The CO2 laden air did not have a chance to clear and you re-breath your exhalation.  So there is definite potential negative impact.  Mask use does impact your respiratory function, especially under exertion.  Maybe it was the fact there was an air pocket inside the mask vs. being tight and snug. 

Went to the Fayette Mall on Friday.  Even if you believe masks have substantial positive impact you should probably avoid going to the mall and seeing how mask use looks in practice.   There is the textbook ideal and then there is the reality out in the field.  Boy are they different. 

Take care all.  Do what you have to do right now.

I numbered your post so I could respond appropriately. 

1. I asked the same question last week in here. I think it's probably safe to assume it is not being tracked when the same person tests positive multiple times. Meaning, if I test positive more than once, that's being counted as multiple cases when it should only be counted as one. 

2. This is a dangerous mindset. You know hundreds of people and only know of one positive. Others know many less people and know several positives. This is a prime example of "if it's not happening to me, it isn't real."

3. I've gone back and forth on how I think deaths should be tallied. If someone has multiple issues prior to COVID, it's hard for me to consider that COVID death, especially if they are 70+. 

4. Of course there are tons of people not wearing their masks correctly, but that isn't a reason not to wear them at all. Instead, if you are wearing your mask too, maybe try to correct them. They are obviously wearing them, so they are at least making the attempt. I've had the opportunity to correct a few different people and they were all receptive. Not saying everyone would be, but many likely are. 

Masks do not affect your oxygen levels. This has been proven over and over again during the pandemic. Do they provide a small bit of discomfort? Of course, but there are absolutely zero medical reasons to not wear a mask. I have friends who are at Disney today who are outside in middle of summer Florida weather wearing masks. Universal has been open for a couple weeks and people have been wearing masks. Trust me if they can be outside in the middle of summer in the hottest, most humid part of the country, then we all can wear a mask. I’ll say it again, not many of us have had to deal with Covid on a personal level. So I’ll put it in terms that make it personal to most of us. If wearing a mask ensured we would have football this fall, isn’t that worth it? I’m not sure some people have come to this fact yet, that if we don’t change, we won’t have football this fall. For the large percentage of people on BGP, this is the best time of the year. This is what we look forward to all year and that is going to taken away if we don’t change. Wear a damn mask, so we can play football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

All the gradual closing was wasted time, IMO. We should have seriously locked down when we started the gradual shut downs and I believe we would be in a much better place. 

Complete waste of time. I honestly believe the numbers would be close to exactly the same as they are now had we never had the gradual shutdowns to begin with. The only people I know that were truly quarantined and didn’t have interactions with people were my grandparents who live in an assisted living facility and were literally forced to shut down. Everyone else basically went about their daily lives except for the fact that they couldn’t go out to eat. It was utterly useless. The only positive thing is the increased sanitary measures that we should have been doing all along anyways. 

25 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

This is what we look forward to all year and that is going to taken away if we don’t change. Wear a damn mask, so we can play football. 

Take it to the bank... The people that will complain the most about football being canceled will be the ones who won't wear a mask now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I numbered your post so I could respond appropriately. 

1. I asked the same question last week in here. I think it's probably safe to assume it is not being tracked when the same person tests positive multiple times. Meaning, if I test positive more than once, that's being counted as multiple cases when it should only be counted as one. 

2. This is a dangerous mindset. You know hundreds of people and only know of one positive. Others know many less people and know several positives. This is a prime example of "if it's not happening to me, it isn't real."

3. I've gone back and forth on how I think deaths should be tallied. If someone has multiple issues prior to COVID, it's hard for me to consider that COVID death, especially if they are 70+. 

4. Of course there are tons of people not wearing their masks correctly, but that isn't a reason not to wear them at all. Instead, if you are wearing your mask too, maybe try to correct them. They are obviously wearing them, so they are at least making the attempt. I've had the opportunity to correct a few different people and they were all receptive. Not saying everyone would be, but many likely are. 

I’ve gone back and forth on the severity of this virus for months. I’m admittedly as confused today as I was at the beginning.

The reported death rate has been infuriating to me and keeps me from forming what I would consider a valid opinion.

Honest question:

If I cut off my arm and bled out at the hospital and it was later determined that I had the virus, what would my cause of death be listed as ?

16 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

I’ve gone back and forth on the severity of this virus for months. I’m admittedly as confused today as I was at the beginning.

The reported death rate has been infuriating to me and keeps me from forming what I would consider a valid opinion.

Honest question:

If I cut off my arm and bled out at the hospital and it was later determined that I had the virus, what would my cause of death be listed as ?

I just asked my friend who works for the CDC in Atlanta this question. According to the CDC guidelines, the cause of death in this instance would be bleeding to death.  Here are the CDC guidelines for reporting Covid related deaths. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf.

These guidelines are pretty clear, that if Covid is not the primary cause of death, it should not be reported as such.  

21 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

Honest question:

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Take it to the bank... The people that will complain the most about football being canceled will be the ones who won't wear a mask now. 

The CDC explains in pretty high detail how deaths are tallied. It is not a random process how some make it out to be.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

There is a clear delineation between a cause of death and underlying cause of death. Most people that contract AIDS, for example, do not die of AIDS, they die of complications as of result of contracting AIDS. Think of it in those terms. Same goes for the flu. For example, pneumonia is an intermediate cause of death since it can be caused by a variety of infectious agents or by inhaling a liquid or chemical. Pneumonia is important to report in a cause-of-death statement but, generally, it is not the UCOD. The cause of pneumonia, such as COVID–19, needs to be stated on the lowest line used in Part I. Multiple items can be listed on a death certificate.

When a death is due to COVID–19, it is likely the UCOD and thus, it should be reported on the lowest line used in Part I of the death certificate. Ideally, testing for COVID–19 should be conducted, but it is acceptable to report COVID–19 on a death certificate without this confirmation if the circumstances are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty.

13 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I just asked my friend who works for the CDC in Atlanta this question. According to the CDC guidelines, the cause of death in this instance would be bleeding to death.  Here are the CDC guidelines for reporting Covid related deaths. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf.

These guidelines are pretty clear, that if Covid is not the primary cause of death, it should not be reported as such.  

4 minutes ago, bugatti said:

The CDC explains in pretty high detail how deaths are tallied. It is not a random process how some make it out to be.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

Do we believe that is what is happening? I don't know if I do. 

1 minute ago, bugatti said:

Great minds! @rjs4470

I don't know about great minds (at least in my case), but I'm glad to see others actually looking for answers rather than just assuming hospitals and the media are working together and are playing shenanigans and over reporting Covid deaths. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Any cause of death beyond an obvious reason (ie gunshot wound, car accident, heart attack, etc) is really subjective and the opinion of the attending physician. So there's certainly a chance that  deaths could be over reported.  There's an equally good chance that they could be under reported as well.  Think about people who died at home before getting any treatment. Again, I think the distrust of the numbers is sparked more by people being caught up in the idea of "fake news" or looking for ways to just support their opinion that this isn't as serious as it's being made out to be, and is just a grand hoax.

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

We can never know with any certainty that doctors and other medical professionals aren't adhering to ethical guidelines. I would like to think so and not sure what is gained otherwise. Now maybe you can blame the media for not better illustrating what death cause actually means or doesn't mean, but who knows if they have researched it or care to. We do know doctors have learned more about the virus these past few weeks to better treat patients; hence, why deaths aren't (yet) rising at the level they once were. They have been open about this. Point being, why would they suddenly pivot to change their reporting methods?