Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

Science.....

3 days old. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7338098/

This first randomized cross-over study assessing the effects of surgical masks and FFP2/N95 masks on cardiopulmonary exercise capacity yields clear results. Both masks have a marked negative impact on exercise parameters such as maximum power output (Pmax) and the maximum oxygen uptake (VO2max/kg). FFP2/N95 masks show consistently more pronounced negative effects compared to surgical masks. Both masks significantly reduce pulmonary parameters at rest (FVC, FEV1, PEF) and at maximum load (VE, BF, TV). Furthermore, wearing the masks was perceived as very uncomfortable with a marked effect on subjective breathing resistance with the FFP2/N95 mask.

Conclusion

Medical face masks have a marked negative impact on cardiopulmonary capacity that significantly impairs strenuous physical and occupational activities. In addition, medical masks significantly impair the quality of life of their wearer. These effects have to be considered versus the potential protective effects of face masks on viral transmissions. The quantitative data of this study may, therefore, inform medical recommendations and policy makers.

42 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Science.....

3 days old. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7338098/

This first randomized cross-over study assessing the effects of surgical masks and FFP2/N95 masks on cardiopulmonary exercise capacity yields clear results. Both masks have a marked negative impact on exercise parameters such as maximum power output (Pmax) and the maximum oxygen uptake (VO2max/kg). FFP2/N95 masks show consistently more pronounced negative effects compared to surgical masks. Both masks significantly reduce pulmonary parameters at rest (FVC, FEV1, PEF) and at maximum load (VE, BF, TV). Furthermore, wearing the masks was perceived as very uncomfortable with a marked effect on subjective breathing resistance with the FFP2/N95 mask.

Conclusion

Medical face masks have a marked negative impact on cardiopulmonary capacity that significantly impairs strenuous physical and occupational activities. In addition, medical masks significantly impair the quality of life of their wearer. These effects have to be considered versus the potential protective effects of face masks on viral transmissions. The quantitative data of this study may, therefore, inform medical recommendations and policy makers.

Does it make mention of the effect of masks on the wearer during an hour long trip to the grocery store?  Did I miss where it said mask wearing is dangerous? While it does show reduced numbers, it seems the biggest issue raised and addressed is comfort.  And while the study does say it has a negative impact, it nowhere says that the wearing of masks is dangerous, just  uncomfortable, and that you may want to be careful while at work or in strenous activity.  And in the end, it says the negatives have to be considered against the possible protective effects on viral transmissions. If a mask will reduce the probability of someone transmitting Covid and spreading the disease to others, might that positive be better than being a little uncomfortable?

47 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Does it make mention of the effect of masks on the wearer during an hour long trip to the grocery store?  Did I miss where it said mask wearing is dangerous? While it does show reduced numbers, it seems the biggest issue raised and addressed is comfort.  And while the study does say it has a negative impact, it nowhere says that the wearing of masks is dangerous, just  uncomfortable, and that you may want to be careful while at work or in strenous activity.  And in the end, it says the negatives have to be considered against the possible protective effects on viral transmissions. If a mask will reduce the probability of someone transmitting Covid and spreading the disease to others, might that positive be better than being a little uncomfortable?

This analyzed at rest and with exercise/activity.  Somewhere in-between is the trip to the grocery. 

I do not think they would use the term 'dangerous' in the study.  They did cite this: 

The data of this study are obtained in healthy young volunteers, the impairment is likely to be significantly greater, e.g., in patients with obstructive pulmonary diseases [18]. From our data, we conclude that wearing a medical face mask has a significant impact on pulmonary parameters both at rest and during maximal exercise in healthy adults.

The point is that masks are now this apparent magic solution and being shoved onto the public.  Like shutting down businesses, the downside is ignored though it is very real for some level of people.  People should understand masks have an impact on your physiology and to be mindful of the risks and issues associated with masks.  And those with higher responsibilities should not advertise this a some sort of silver bullet that carries zero risk. 

3 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

This analyzed at rest and with exercise/activity.  Somewhere in-between is the trip to the grocery. 

I do not think they would use the term 'dangerous' in the study.  They did cite this: 

The data of this study are obtained in healthy young volunteers, the impairment is likely to be significantly greater, e.g., in patients with obstructive pulmonary diseases [18]. From our data, we conclude that wearing a medical face mask has a significant impact on pulmonary parameters both at rest and during maximal exercise in healthy adults.

The point is that mask are now this apparent magic solution and being shoved onto the public.  Like shutting down businesses, the downside is ignored though it is very real for some level of people.  People should understand masks have an impact on your physiology and to be mindful of the risks and issues associated with masks.  And those with higher responsibilities should not advertise this a some sort of silver bullet that carries zero risk. 

How many people have died because they wore a mask?

7 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

How many people have died because they wore a mask?

Seems to be a statistic the CDC does not care about.

The most well known case is the two Chinese students.  Though they refuse to say it was "because" of the mask. 

There is also potential unrecoverable long term damage potential. 

Edited by Bluegrasscard
Added

8 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

The point is that masks are now this apparent magic solution and being shoved onto the public.  Like shutting down businesses, the downside is ignored though it is very real for some level of people.  People should understand masks have an impact on your physiology and to be mindful of the risks and issues associated with masks.  And those with higher responsibilities should not advertise this a some sort of silver bullet that carries zero risk. 

I don’t feel like it’s being toted as a magic solution.  At least that’s not the impression I get.  I think it’s just a piece of the puzzle that will help slow and combat the spread.  Some people are a little overzealous with their attitude towards those that won’t wear masks, just as some are being overzealous in dealing with those who choose to wear a mask.  Personally, I see mask wearing as  being courteous and respectful.  I don’t see it as an affront to our civil liberties or a plot to control society.

4 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Seems to be a statistic the CDC does not care about.

When was the last time you heard about a mask related death pre or post COVID?  Or even someone who has been harmed by wearing a mask?  

I’ve now worked a side job for 3 months, where mask wearing is required.  It is uncomfortable.  But I’ve seen no one struggle or heard of anyone who’s struggled wearing the mask, or suffered any ill effects.  And there’s a wide range of ages, and all physical types from very fit to very obese.  

21 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

When was the last time you heard about a mask related death pre or post COVID?  Or even someone who has been harmed by wearing a mask?  

I’ve now worked a side job for 3 months, where mask wearing is required.  It is uncomfortable.  But I’ve seen no one struggle or heard of anyone who’s struggled wearing the mask, or suffered any ill effects.  And there’s a wide range of ages, and all physical types from very fit to very obese.  

So from how you phrased this it sounds like its "uncomfortable" every time you work. 

So I will ask - when do you know that the "uncomfortable-ness" (a definitive indication that your physiological system is under some sort of stress)  has become some sort of injury? 

Mandatory mask mandate goes into affect tomorrow at 5:00 pm. 

Basically, if you are indoors (not at home), you have to wear a mask. If you are outside and can't be six feet apart, you have to wear a mask. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

Mandatory mask mandate goes into affect tomorrow at 5:00 pm. 

Basically, if you are indoors (not at home), you have to wear a mask. If you are outside and can't be six feet apart, you have to wear a mask. 

Laughable... 

1 hour ago, Bluegrasscard said:

So from how you phrased this it sounds like its "uncomfortable" every time you work. 

So I will ask - when do you know that the "uncomfortable-ness" (a definitive indication that your physiological system is under some sort of stress)  has become some sort of injury? 

When I say uncomfortable, I’m mean it’s hot.  And the straps sometimes bother my ears.  Never has it affected my performance and my part time job is somewhat physical at times. No lightheaded ness, shortness of breath, inability to breathe.   I will tell you wearing a football helmet in 90+ degree weather, or a catching both ends of a summer double header in full gear was much more uncomfortable, with likely more serious possible consequences (ie heatsroke).  

• Like 1

If masks work, than why is there any debate as to whether or not kids should return to school this fall.  Just make 'em all wear masks.  Problem solved.  If they don't work, than why the charade of making them mandatory.  

If something is shown to make things safe fine, but it seems to me a lot of these regulations are just window dressing so that people can feel like something is being done.  Case in point is the NFL's rule that came out today making it illegal for players to exchange jerseys after the game.  So JJ Watt can chase Tom Brady around for 60 minutes, grab, hold, sweat on, and fall onto him, and it will be fine, but somehow trading jerseys puts them in danger.  

• Like 2