Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

I now know of two people personally that have tested positive for it.  The first I posted in this thread probably within the first 10-15 pages.  I now know of someone else, but he lives in Texas.  He was never hospitalized but basically battled and quarantined in his home.  He said it definitely sucked but sounds like not enough to get him to a hospital, thankfully.

I saw study done by Wake Forrest and Baptist Health showed that 12-14% of people in North Carolina tested positive for Covid antibodies.

ER Dr in Houston said yesterday that they tested 400 people with no symptoms and 20% tested positive.

This shows that Covid is way more spread than people think and testing probably not scratching the surface. Probably spreading like wildfire and death rate much lower than originally thought. Still dangerous though to many people.

5 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I saw study done by Wake Forrest and Baptist Health showed that 12-14% of people in North Carolina tested positive for Covid antibodies.

ER Dr in Houston said yesterday that they tested 400 people with no symptoms and 20% tested positive.

This shows that Covid is way more spread than people think and testing probably not scratching the surface. Probably spreading like wildfire and death rate much lower than originally thought. Still dangerous though to many people.

So probably a more contagious but less deadly flu. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 00Rocket28 said:

So probably a more contagious but less deadly flu. 

One thing to keep in mind is this is a daily evolution in knowledge, treatment, statistics. What was true two months ago is not true now because of new knowledge. The death rate two months ago was significantly different than it is now. The recommended responses may have been exactly the response needed at each time but are different. There are few "see I told you so's" in this fight. Almost no opinions or statements made in March have value now because everything is different now.

Nothing proves that more than the opinions and recommendations on wearing masks. Just because it was stated in March that masks are not effective doesn't mean they truly aren't effective or anyone lied. More knowledge changes opinions. I don't fault anyone who discounted masks in March and now says wear them. All that tells me is they learned and are willing to change their opinion. In fact, I applaud those who are willing to learn and aren't afraid to change their opinion based on what we know now.

As of now, CV19 is still significantly more deadly than the flu based on the numbers we have right now. The death rate is dropping as treatments become better and high risk people do a better job protecting themselves but as of now, CV19 is still about 4-5 times more deadly than the flu. Perhaps in two months it will be no worse than the flu as treatments evolve. That doesn't mean it wasn't 10 times more deadly than the flu in April. It was. We got better in fighting it. That doesn't mean that those early projections of 500,000+ deaths were wrong. With no shutdown, no effective treatment, no changes in behavior those projections may have actually been too low, especially as we look at the new case rate skyrocketing with restrictions still in place, people wearing masks, etc.

"more contagious but less deadly flu." CV19 is clearly more contagious. However, CV19 is still more deadly than the flu. But that is today. One month from now this may be different.

• Like 3

I’m looking forward to data from Eli Lilly’s monoclonal antibody treatment. They were the first company to start testing their antibody treatment on humans around June 1st. They should have good data by now to see how it’s working. May hear some news sometime this month.

14 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

One thing to keep in mind is this is a daily evolution in knowledge, treatment, statistics. What was true two months ago is not true now because of new knowledge. The death rate two months ago was significantly different than it is now. The recommended responses may have been exactly the response needed at each time but are different. There are few "see I told you so's" in this fight. Almost no opinions or statements made in March have value now because everything is different now.

Nothing proves that more than the opinions and recommendations on wearing masks. Just because it was stated in March that masks are not effective doesn't mean they truly aren't effective or anyone lied. More knowledge changes opinions. I don't fault anyone who discounted masks in March and now says wear them. All that tells me is they learned and are willing to change their opinion. In fact, I applaud those who are willing to learn and aren't afraid to change their opinion based on what we know now.

As of now, CV19 is still significantly more deadly than the flu based on the numbers we have right now. The death rate is dropping as treatments become better and high risk people do a better job protecting themselves but as of now, CV19 is still about 4-5 times more deadly than the flu. Perhaps in two months it will be no worse than the flu as treatments evolve. That doesn't mean it wasn't 10 times more deadly than the flu in April. It was. We got better in fighting it. That doesn't mean that those early projections of 500,000+ deaths were wrong. With no shutdown, no effective treatment, no changes in behavior those projections may have actually been too low, especially as we look at the new case rate skyrocketing with restrictions still in place, people wearing masks, etc.

"more contagious but less deadly flu." CV19 is clearly more contagious. However, CV19 is still more deadly than the flu. But that is today. One month from now this may be different.

I think one thing that has been proven is that we can not trust the numbers the media is reporting. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 00Rocket28 said:

I think one thing that has been proven is that we can not trust the numbers the media is reporting. 

The media reports the numbers they are given. If the numbers aren't 100% accurate, it is not the media's fault.

More importantly, we know there are large numbers of people dead because of CV19. If it is 75,000 dead instead of 130,000, it is still a big problem. 

So West Virginia just announced a mandatory mask mandate in all public places. I have zero issues with it. It makes me wonder though if our best strategy looking back would have simply been to do a mandatory 15 day quarantine. Give everyone a heads up way in advance so they can stock up necessities receive stimulus funds, etc. Schools can provide packed lunches for students for 15 days. We close for 2 weeks on the 15th day businesses could have gone in, sanitized to an agreed upon level. Then we simply wear masks for the foreseeable future until there is a vaccine and/or reliable ways to treat the virus. My opinion on masks has changed a lot over this time as I’ve become more and more educated on the use of them. The masks work. I mean I get this would have freaked a lot of people out back in March, myself included, but is my hindsight 20/20 on this? I feel like if we would have done this in April or May we would be light years ahead of where we are now. How much pushback would it receive if we knew then what we know now? It’s just insanely frustrating to me and I can’t help but look back at how we handled this and not think of what if scenarios. Every major university has basically said in more sophisticated terms, that we won’t get football this fall if we don’t start wearing masks. I know there are way more important things than football this fall, but it’s still hard to grasp the devastating effects of this virus on lives when you haven’t been personally impacted by it. So I’m choosing to look at it through the lense of wanting to have football this fall. If you want football this fall, wear a freaking mask. If you don’t want football this fall, then I’m not sure why you’re on BGP (but to each their own). You may think this whole thing is blown out of proportion by the media or whoever. You may think that the numbers are completely false and we don’t have cause to be concerned or change our way of life. Isn’t wearing a mask worth it anyways so we can have football? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

So West Virginia just announced a mandatory mask mandate in all public places. I have zero issues with it. It makes me wonder though if our best strategy looking back would have simply been to do a mandatory 15 day quarantine. Give everyone a heads up way in advance so they can stock up necessities receive stimulus funds, etc. Schools can provide packed lunches for students for 15 days. We close for 2 weeks on the 15th day businesses could have gone in, sanitized to an agreed upon level. Then we simply wear masks for the foreseeable future until there is a vaccine and/or reliable ways to treat the virus. My opinion on masks has changed a lot over this time as I’ve become more and more educated on the use of them. The masks work. I mean I get this would have freaked a lot of people out back in March, myself included, but is my hindsight 20/20 on this? I feel like if we would have done this in April or May we would be light years ahead of where we are now. How much pushback would it receive if we knew then what we know now? It’s just insanely frustrating to me and I can’t help but look back at how we handled this and not think of what if scenarios. Every major university has basically said in more sophisticated terms, that we won’t get football this fall if we don’t start wearing masks. I know there are way more important things than football this fall, but it’s still hard to grasp the devastating effects of this virus on lives when you haven’t been personally impacted by it. So I’m choosing to look at it through the lense of wanting to have football this fall. If you want football this fall, wear a freaking mask. If you don’t want football this fall, then I’m not sure why you’re on BGP (but to each their own). You may think this whole thing is blown out of proportion by the media or whoever. You may think that the numbers are completely false and we don’t have cause to be concerned or change our way of life. Isn’t wearing a mask worth it anyways so we can have football?

This is what I envisioned when the shutdown talks started.

I would have never imagined that so many employees were “essential”. 

We didn’t really shutdown. We quit going out to eat and to chiropractors. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

There are virtually no essential jobs in a true shutdown. I’m a huge golfer so at the time I was ecstatic that golf was still allowed to stay open. Looking back I would have definitely put the clubs down for 15 days and never thought twice about it. The problem when we started is there was no definite numbers for the shutdown. We need numbers to grasp things and that’s why the initial “shutdown” was so hard to grasp and so many workers became “essential” real quick. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

It makes me wonder though if our best strategy looking back would have simply been to do a mandatory 15 day quarantine. Give everyone a heads up way in advance so they can stock up necessities receive stimulus funds, etc. 

This is EXACTLY what should have happened, and is exactly why we've been far behind other countries from the get go. 

1 hour ago, MBWC41 said:

Yep. We never shut down. We just made it look that way. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

There are virtually no essential jobs in a true shutdown. I’m a huge golfer so at the time I was ecstatic that golf was still allowed to stay open. Looking back I would have definitely put the clubs down for 15 days and never thought twice about it. The problem when we started is there was no definite numbers for the shutdown. We need numbers to grasp things and that’s why the initial “shutdown” was so hard to grasp and so many workers became “essential” real quick. 

Hospitals and their suppliers aren’t essential?  Food?  Medication? Police?  EMS?  I agree that there were a lot of errors made in what was considered essential, but disagree that there are “virtually no essential jobs.”