Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coronavirus

Featured Replies

23 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

How about 8 hours in an office?

But masks can  have immediate impact on cardio-pulmonary function. 

This has been proven time and time again to be not true. Research your sources. 

  • Replies 3.6k
  • Views 313.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • My wife is home, but is really no better than when I took her to the ER. However everything they were doing for her there, we are going to be able to do at home. She has a very long recovery in front

  • I mean isn’t that kind of what we did with not allowing smoking inside restaurants? Isn’t that why there’s no smoking at sporting events? It’s to make other people feel more comfortable. Kind of simil

  • This is what I envisioned when the shutdown talks started. I would have never imagined that so many employees were “essential”.    We didn’t really shutdown. We quit going out to eat and t

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

So if you have asthma or paroxysmal atrial fibrillation you should never go out in public? 

 

 

 

I know plenty of people that have asthma and are wearing masks with zero implications. 

If you are high risk, you shouldn't be out. 

31 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

How about 8 hours in an office?

But masks can  have immediate impact on cardio-pulmonary function. 

How have doctors, dentists, nurses and techs worn masks for hours on end for years at a time and we've never heard about people falling out from wearing masks?

Let's be 100 about this. Masks have been around for decades and will be around years after COVID. It seems bizarre in the millions of instances of medical professionals and others wearing masks prior to COVID - or the millions of individuals in other countries that have always worn masks, particularly in Asian countries - not one time did we ever know of their dangerous side effects until COVID hit America. As I have said, you can find any article or youtube video that supports what you want to be true. It is similar to the anti-vaxxer campaigns which exist. And maybe there is some hint of legitimacy to these contrarian viewpoints, but there is a reason you don't see any mainstream outlet, CDC, or 99% of medical professionals saying masks are a danger and provide no help.  

25 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

But much of that impact is related to comfort.

Bingo. 

This is about convenience, not about science. It's always been about convenience. 

 

Are we still concerned about suicide rates due to COVID, or nah?

I didn't think so...

30 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

It is home made - its not a double blind study. 

But it points out - that even though she was 'testing' the O2 saturation, and yes - it did remain high, she cited the high heart rates and noted (properly) this is excess CO2 the body wants to eliminate. 

I have an O2/BPM monitor coming tomorrow.  Should be interesting.  Of course the Apple watch records heart rate.

The O2 has received a lot of press.  The elavated heart rate - less so.  And the reason for the elevated rate is notable. 

 

 

 

 

 

Again, how can a mask be so effective at containing CO2 yet so ineffective at containing and reducing the spread of nasal droplets?

its seems crazy to me that people are so willing to take these homemade YouTube videos done by folks who have no scientific background or verifiable credentials, yet ignore or or question the viability of the dozens of real studies done by highly credible sources that say masks are safe.  And even if you think those credible sources are biased or have an agenda, just use your eyes and ears.  If masks are dangerous, where are the real life examples of people being impacted and harmed by masks, other than being hot and uncomfortable? Remember, masks have been used by various professions for years.  And in many Asian countries, masks have been commonplace.  How dangerous can they really be?

From an asthma standpoint, you could argue that masks may filter out pollen and other allergens that trigger asthma attacks, thus being beneficial.

From a cardiovascular standpoint, the benefit of wearing a mask for a short time in a store far outweighs the risk of death by getting COVID, or the risk of spreading it to someone who could die IMO.

Again, I work 12 hour shifts wearing a mask and am on my feet quite a bit, as are thousands of nurses every day.  No one has keeled over.  I don’t believe for a second that the majority of people who have to do this are adversely affected.  Of course, we take breaks From time to time.  Quite frankly, I can’t stand my own breath!

54 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

How about 8 hours in an office?

But masks can  have immediate impact on cardio-pulmonary function. 

If I or someone had some serious asthma or other severe health complications, I'd hope that the organization would do everything they could to allow that individual to work from home and/or telecommunicate.  I know that's not always possible but I think it is more often than not and that person shouldn't be putting themselves at more risk by being there in general.

If the organization wouldn't allow someone with those complications to do this, then shame on them and I certainly wouldn't feel very valued as an employee and it would be time for me to look for employment elsewhere.

Even though I think the whole debate is pointless because masks aren't going to cause worse health issues.

46 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

From an asthma standpoint, you could argue that masks may filter out pollen and other allergens that trigger asthma attacks, thus being beneficial.

From a cardiovascular standpoint, the benefit of wearing a mask for a short time in a store far outweighs the risk of death by getting COVID, or the risk of spreading it to someone who could die IMO.

Again, I work 12 hour shifts wearing a mask and am on my feet quite a bit, as are thousands of nurses every day.  No one has keeled over.  I don’t believe for a second that the majority of people who have to do this are adversely affected.  Of course, we take breaks From time to time.  Quite frankly, I can’t stand my own breath!

Good point.  In fact there are several training masks available that are designed to be worn during activity in order to strengthen the cardio vascular system.  I've coached several high level wrestlers that have used these devices during practice...and wrestling practices involve some of the most physically demanding activity you can get yourself into.

Too many people are looking at masks similar to a seat belt law.  "If I want to drive without a seat belt, I should be allowed to.  After all, it's my life I'm risking if I'm in an accident."  And they'll quote one of these two types of stories..."I know of a guy who suffered severe internal injuries by his seat belt when he was in an accident.  They said he would've been alright, if it hadn't been for that."...or..."I know a guy who was trapped in his vehicle by his seat belt and couldn't get out before it exploded."   I'm not going to debate whether or not either type of story is actually possible.  But, possibility does not equal probability.  In the end, you're probably better off by wearing a seat belt, rather than not.

But, this isn't just about you.  It's about everybody else you come in contact with on a daily basis.  We need to look at this more like the drunk driving law.  Because when you drive drunk (ie: don't wear a mask), it is not just you that could be injured/die as a consequence.

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Good point.  In fact there are several training masks available that are designed to be worn during activity in order to strengthen the cardio vascular system.  I've coached several high level wrestlers that have used these devices during practice...and wrestling practices involve some of the most physically demanding activity you can get yourself into.

 

6 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Too many people are looking at masks similar to a seat belt law.  "If I want to drive without a seat belt, I should be allowed to.  After all, it's my life I'm risking if I'm in an accident."  And they'll quote one of these two types of stories..."I know of a guy who suffered severe internal injuries by his seat belt when he was in an accident.  They said he would've been alright, if it hadn't been for that."...or..."I know a guy who was trapped in his vehicle by his seat belt and couldn't get out before it exploded."   I'm not going to debate whether or not either type of story is actually possible.  But, possibility does not equal probability.  In the end, you're probably better off by wearing a seat belt, rather than not.

But, this isn't just about you.  It's about everybody else you come in contact with on a daily basis.  We need to look at this more like the drunk driving law.  Because when you drive drunk (ie: don't wear a mask), it is not just you that could be injured/die as a consequence.

Apparently I’m out of likes for the day so consider this my endorsement of both of your comments. Haha 

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Are we still concerned about suicide rates due to COVID, or nah?

I didn't think so...

Maybe we should be....

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19s-impact-include-20-firearm-suicides-day/story?id=71635386

From two days ago.  That would be almost 7,500 more in a year and that is just via firearms.  Doesn't include other methods of suicide.  Seems significant to me.  

 

4 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

Maybe we should be....

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19s-impact-include-20-firearm-suicides-day/story?id=71635386

From two days ago.  That would be almost 7,500 more in a year and that is just via firearms.  Doesn't include other methods of suicide.  Seems significant to me.  

 

But nobody is. That's my point, and was my point when people were using it before. None of them really care about suicide rates, they will just say anything to "justify" their griping about being inconvenienced. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

But nobody is. That's my point, and was my point when people were using it before. None of them really care about suicide rates, they will just say anything to "justify" their griping about being inconvenienced. 

I get what you're saying but for a lot of folks that inconvenience has been lifted.  Suicides and overdose deaths are definitely still high now.  Difference is that many of those that mentioned it before aren't still stuck at home 24/7.  Since June 1st I've barely looked at the Coronavirus thread, I've been back to work full time since then.  If they were to shut everything down again, I'd be back here scrolling every day.   Going to be that way for most people about most topics we discuss on BGP.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.