Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread completely but has anyone else come across the treatment of using an inhaled steroid? Apparently a doctor in Texas has been using it with what he claims is good results. According to him it’s the treatment Japan is using along with a few other countries. 

17 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

When I say uncomfortable, I’m mean it’s hot.  And the straps sometimes bother my ears.  Never has it affected my performance and my part time job is somewhat physical at times. No lightheaded ness, shortness of breath, inability to breathe.   I will tell you wearing a football helmet in 90+ degree weather, or a catching both ends of a summer double header in full gear was much more uncomfortable, with likely more serious possible consequences (ie heatsroke).  

I think most healthy people tolerate a mask well for some period of time.  For us, the Mrs. has put in three days at the office (medical/dental admin/academics) each time comes home with headache and nausea for a couple of hours.  Its a 'discomfort' that extends well beyond the period when just wearing the mask.  She has history of asthma but not had any active treatment in decades, nothing that has been issue for decades.  Source or cause? Hard to say.

Son works in warehouse environment, tolerates it well and seems to be like your experience.  But he still like to take it off when in his private office - "so I can breath". 

I am not saying masks are inherently dangerous to all.  They do change your pulmonary activity though.  And that change can be simple discomfort, longer lasting effects such as above or, at times, the trigger of something more serious.  The study points out, completely healthy people usually have systems that can and do compensate for the change.  Some people have conditions that limit or prevent compensating for the change and create a more substantial risk. People should be aware of that.  Policy makers should be aware and sensitive to that.  But it seems easier to label people as "selfish" by some. 

5 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

But it seems easier to label people as "selfish" by some.

Because it is selfish... If you have some issue that genuinely prevents you from wearing a mask, then I'm sure your doctor would agree and would write up such an explanation. 

At the end of the day, nobody NEEDS to go into a store. If you can't wear a mask, fine. Go through the drive through, order online, or do curbside pickup, have it delivered, etc. Virtually every retail store has all of those options. Use them. 

In a working environment, ask if you can be accommodated so you don't have to wear it, IF your doctor has agreed to such. If an employer won't accommodate someone with a legit medical concern, do you really want to work there anyway?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

I think most healthy people tolerate a mask well for some period of time.  For us, the Mrs. has put in three days at the office (medical/dental admin/academics) each time comes home with headache and nausea for a couple of hours.  Its a 'discomfort' that extends well beyond the period when just wearing the mask.  She has history of asthma but not had any active treatment in decades, nothing that has been issue for decades.  Source or cause? Hard to say.

Son works in warehouse environment, tolerates it well and seems to be like your experience.  But he still like to take it off when in his private office - "so I can breath". 

I am not saying masks are inherently dangerous to all.  They do change your pulmonary activity though.  And that change can be simple discomfort, longer lasting effects such as above or, at times, the trigger of something more serious.  The study points out, completely healthy people usually have systems that can and do compensate for the change.  Some people have conditions that limit or prevent compensating for the change and create a more substantial risk. People should be aware of that.  Policy makers should be aware and sensitive to that.  But it seems easier to label people as "selfish" by some. 

It's also been equally easy for those against wearing masks to label mask wearers as "scared", "silly" or "sheep".  Like most things, it usually works both ways and neither side is as tolerant as they should be of the other side, especially when the make those sorts of assumptions. With no real information to back this up, I would say that wearing a mask shouldn't be an issue physically for the vast majority of people.  

13 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

You’d be surprised.  I visited several Mom and Pops places, and all were actively enforcing masks, and all customers were compliant.  I saw many people not wearing masks outside but putting them on when they walked in. And let’s face it, these Mom and Pops could get fined or worse if they don’t enforce the policy.  That’s a much bigger problem then turning a customer away.

Must be the mom & pops, because I frequent a few on a regular basis.  None of them enforced mask wearing and few people wear them there.

5 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Not really. It’s just whether or not businesses choose to enforce it. It’s pretty easy to keep someone from coming in if they aren’t wearing a mask. 

That's what I'm saying.  I think a lot of businesses will choose not to enforce this, therefore it's left to whom to enforce it?

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Because it is selfish... If you have some issue that genuinely prevents you from wearing a mask, then I'm sure your doctor would agree and would write up such an explanation. 

At the end of the day, nobody NEEDS to go into a store. If you can't wear a mask, fine. Go through the drive through, order online, or do curbside pickup, have it delivered, etc. Virtually every retail store has all of those options. Use them. 

In a working environment, ask if you can be accommodated so you don't have to wear it, IF your doctor has agreed to such. If an employer won't accommodate someone with a legit medical concern, do you really want to work there anyway?

What is the worst thing that can happen by not wearing a mask?

What is the worst thing that can happen by wearing a mask?

This isn't hard, in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

Must be the mom & pops, because I frequent a few on a regular basis.  None of them enforced mask wearing and few people wear them there.

Which makes zero sense because they will be the ones to suffer first. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barrel said:

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread completely but has anyone else come across the treatment of using an inhaled steroid? Apparently a doctor in Texas has been using it with what he claims is good results. According to him it’s the treatment Japan is using along with a few other countries. 

What’s the benefit of an inhaled steroid vs an injection I wonder? If a treatment works then I’m all for it. 

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

What’s the benefit of an inhaled steroid vs an injection I wonder? If a treatment works then I’m all for it. 

From the video segment I watched the inhaled version gets more of the steroid into the system since it is going directly into the lungs. When injected or taken orally the medication dissipates more. The virus affects the lungs so it’s going directly to the area of infection. Now that is my understanding so I could have some or all of that wrong. 

Now of course ever source of information has to be taken with a grain of salt. So the doctor could be correct, full of crap or somewhere in between. This was the first I had heard of it so I was curious if anyone else had heard something similar. 

• Thanks 1

From NKY:

With all of the talk of resurgence of the COVID virus in the news, I wanted to give you a report on what is going on locally with our hospital. I know many of you, especially those of us who are older, are anxious about the recent news. I just had communications with St. Elizabeth’s CEO, Garren Colvin, who has told me that the hospital has had no spike in COVID virus admissions. There is plenty of capacity and there are currently no COVID patients on ventilators. I wanted you to have this information as we go into the weekend. Have a good weekend!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theguru said:

From NKY:

With all of the talk of resurgence of the COVID virus in the news, I wanted to give you a report on what is going on locally with our hospital. I know many of you, especially those of us who are older, are anxious about the recent news. I just had communications with St. Elizabeth’s CEO, Garren Colvin, who has told me that the hospital has had no spike in COVID virus admissions. There is plenty of capacity and there are currently no COVID patients on ventilators. I wanted you to have this information as we go into the weekend. Have a good weekend!

Good news.  I don't hear much about the local hospitals, so thanks for posting. 

I wonder how things are in Cincinnati.  Or Lexington. 

1 minute ago, Randy Parker said:

Good news.  I don't hear much about the local hospitals, so thanks for posting. 

I wonder how things are in Cincinnati.  Or Lexington. 

I came upon that information by chance.  I agree we talk about the macro a lot and not the micro and it is important to keep both in perspective.

No idea RP.