Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coronavirus

Featured Replies

I know that we've seen a spike of positive cases the past few weeks, no news there.  I haven't been able to locate any where how many of these cases are symptomatic vs asymptomatic, is this being tracked at all?  I'm obviously aware that an asymptomatic carrier can pose a threat towards everyone else, especially high risk people.  

  • Replies 3.6k
  • Views 313.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • My wife is home, but is really no better than when I took her to the ER. However everything they were doing for her there, we are going to be able to do at home. She has a very long recovery in front

  • I mean isn’t that kind of what we did with not allowing smoking inside restaurants? Isn’t that why there’s no smoking at sporting events? It’s to make other people feel more comfortable. Kind of simil

  • This is what I envisioned when the shutdown talks started. I would have never imagined that so many employees were “essential”.    We didn’t really shutdown. We quit going out to eat and t

Posted Images

Everytime I look at data I get more frustrated. 

Stumbled onto this site tonight.  Gee-whiz graphics, state by state break-out, etc. 

Then I look at Kentucky and it says we have

19,653 Cases

422,232 Negative tests

441,885 Total TESTS (Emphasis added)

So the math is easy above.  And from the math it certainly appears Cases == Positive Test

A positive testing PERSON will most certainly have multiple tests done on them. 

Thus the number of "cases" is not a number of people at all.  The number of people who actually test positive would be somewhat less than that.  How much less?  Who knows?  Someone does. 

But if you like numbers, here is another site. 

 

https://covidtracking.com/data

 

 

 

 

1 hour ago, sportsfan41 said:

I know that we've seen a spike of positive cases the past few weeks, no news there.  I haven't been able to locate any where how many of these cases are symptomatic vs asymptomatic, is this being tracked at all?  I'm obviously aware that an asymptomatic carrier can pose a threat towards everyone else, especially high risk people.  

The science thus far says asymptomatic carriers rarely transmit the virus. 

The apparent new term is "pre-symptomatic" which should just be a subset of "asymptomatic".  But it seems to the new fad. 

 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?__twitter_impression=true

"From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual," Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency's Geneva headquarters. "It's very rare."

 

 

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7219423/

455 contacts who were exposed to the asymptomatic COVID-19 virus carrier became the subjects of our research.

...

No severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infections was detected in 455 contacts by nucleic acid test.

It seems things are getting interesting in Florida. 

Hundreds of testing sites with 100% positive tests (cases). 

And as of July 1, Orange county started reporting those who test positive for antigen as new cases.  Other states have been doing this for some time now. 

 

53 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

It seems things are getting interesting in Florida. 

Hundreds of testing sites with 100% positive tests (cases). 

And as of July 1, Orange county started reporting those who test positive for antigen as new cases.  Other states have been doing this for some time now. 

Exactly why I'm interested in whether or not these positive cases are symptomatic. 

 

1 hour ago, sportsfan41 said:

Exactly why I'm interested in whether or not these positive cases are symptomatic. 

100% is not a statistically realistic number for hundreds of testing sites by any stretch.

The metrics coming of out of Florida may be grossly (order of magnitude) flawed.  Especially when antigen tests results are added to the "positive case' count. 

 

 

 

19 hours ago, PP1 said:

If I am responsible for other's health I am going to start grabbing cigarettes out of people's hands. 

 You are looking at that wrong. If you are the person who is not wearing a mask, you are the smoker. You are walking around spraying germs everywhere.

Now that it keeps getting talked about, the way our society handles smoking is the same way we could look at Covid. You can smoke in your home, you can smoke in your car, you can smoke outside. What you can’t do is smoke inside of a restaurant because it protects the people inside. I don’t hear anyone shouting about their liberties being violated by not being allowed to smoke inside. Its basic common sense that yeah smoking inside around other people is a very inconsiderate thing to do. Not wearing a mask is also a inconsiderate thing to do under the circumstances with Covid. There is no difference. Why are we looking at requiring masks as such an abhorrent abuse of our civil liberties, when smoking laws have been around for basically my whole life time? 

2 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

Now that it keeps getting talked about, the way our society handles smoking is the same way we could look at Covid. You can smoke in your home, you can smoke in your car, you can smoke outside. What you can’t do is smoke inside of a restaurant because it protects the people inside. I don’t hear anyone shouting about their liberties being violated by not being allowed to smoke inside. Its basic common sense that yeah smoking inside around other people is a very inconsiderate thing to do. Not wearing a mask is also a inconsiderate thing to do under the circumstances with Covid. There is no difference. Why are we looking at requiring masks as such an abhorrent abuse of our civil liberties, when smoking laws have been around for basically my whole life time? 

I wish we had a super like for this post. I can’t like this post enough. I absolutely could not agree more. 
 

And I’m a smoker...

I can honestly say I’m still on the fence about the severity of this virus. That being said, I’ll wear a hazmat suit in public if it means we can have college football...

Good news today from Moderna regarding vaccine. All 45 participants who received different doses of vaccine developed antibodies with highest dose creating 4 times the amount of antibodies that someone who has had covid. They are starting phase 3 trial on July 27th which will test on 40,000 people. They are also producing vaccine so when approved will have it to distribute immediately. A second dose is given 29 days after first dose so could be potential approval by FDA in late September or October if phase 3 trial goes well.

3 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Good news today from Moderna regarding vaccine. All 45 participants who received different doses of vaccine developed antibodies with highest dose creating 4 times the amount of antibodies that someone who has had covid. They are starting phase 3 trial on July 27th which will test on 40,000 people. They are also producing vaccine so when approved will have it to distribute immediately. A second dose is given 29 days after first dose so could be potential approval by FDA in late September or October if phase 3 trial goes well.

How many people rush to get the vaccine?     Should high risk folks?   Interesting question when the time comes.  

7 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

How many people rush to get the vaccine?     Should high risk folks?   Interesting question when the time comes.  

I saw a poll that said only 60% would get the vaccine. It will probably be rolled out first to healthcare workers and vulnerable population.

10 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I saw a poll that said only 60% would get the vaccine. It will probably be rolled out first to healthcare workers and vulnerable population.

I would put teachers, coaches and others in education right behind first responders and healthcare workers in the rollout.

13 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Good news today from Moderna regarding vaccine. All 45 participants who received different doses of vaccine developed antibodies with highest dose creating 4 times the amount of antibodies that someone who has had covid. They are starting phase 3 trial on July 27th which will test on 40,000 people. They are also producing vaccine so when approved will have it to distribute immediately. A second dose is given 29 days after first dose so could be potential approval by FDA in late September or October if phase 3 trial goes well.

Very encouraging news indeed.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.