Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

@TTS_JF

Granted I've not read through all of this just the latest and greatest, but I'm curious with Summer around the corner how do you all feel about vacationing? I've got several people at work who are starting to travel for vacation to Tennessee, Florida, Myrtle Beach etc.
My wife and I were looking at booking a trip, and were wanting to go back to the Dominican Republic but are going to wait for the time being.

@bugatti

Quote Originally Posted by TTS_JF View Post
Granted I've not read through all of this just the latest and greatest, but I'm curious with Summer around the corner how do you all feel about vacationing? I've got several people at work who are starting to travel for vacation to Tennessee, Florida, Myrtle Beach etc.
My wife and I were looking at booking a trip, and were wanting to go back to the Dominican Republic but are going to wait for the time being.

I am not against traveling. But I would stay domestic for the time being and going more scenic (maybe rent a cabin or beach house) as opposed to doing typical touristy things with big crowds around.

@TTS_JF

Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
What is alarming is when you compare us to other leading nations in that their curves were flattened, and you got the decline. We flattened but not seeing the rate of decline. We have practically created a plateau.

I think a lot of this is mass testing. We have drive thru tents set up throughout Cincy, I passed 2 yesterday that had 3-4 cars in line.

@bugatti

Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
I think a lot of this is mass testing. We have drive thru tents set up throughout Cincy, I passed 2 yesterday that had 3-4 cars in line.

Hopefully that is all it is, but hasn't more widespread testing been around the last few weeks? I would hope the numbers would begin to dissipate. But are other countries not testing?

Like anything else, it is probably something in-between there.

@TheDeuce

Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Hopefully that is all it is, but hasn't more widespread testing been around the last few weeks? I would hope the numbers would begin to dissipate. But are other countries not testing?

Like anything else, it is probably something in-between there.

Other countries had more strict shutdowns. We never had a complete shutdown like other places.

@bugatti

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
Other countries had more strict shutdowns. We never had a complete shutdown like other places.

I had a friend over from Norway last weekend (small social gathering, folks happy.png) Granted, their population is a fraction of ours, but they did the full-on shut down a couple weeks before we took any action and they had about 300 deaths, he said. To compare, their population is the size of Phoenix metro. In fairness, Norway is not a compacted population epicenter like Phoenix.

@Kentucky Windage

We're in Naples, Florida right now. Not too many people worried about COVID here. We've mainly gone to Delnor Wiggins State Park beach. Very nice beach, but small which helps to limit the interaction between people. They have hourly patrols on the beach who are reminding people to keep their distance. Everyone I've seen has been compliant with the distancing. We've also completed a 2 hour Everglades air boat tour which was a blast. Going out for our first dinner tonight so we will see how that pans out. Been really nice to get away!

Can't wait for fishing on Friday!

@Beechwoodfan

I have one trip to Florida and one trip to Hilton Head. Going to both. It is with immediate family members only and we hang together, cook out and eat in. We kind of auto social distancing anyway. No amusement parks or huge beach parties.

We did book a trip for December for Dominican Republic, but paid for travel insurance which we never do. The thing with the insurance we purchased is we'd have to use the money already paid for a future trip, which is fine by us since we use the same company 90% of the time to book our travel.

Came back from Smokies a couple of weeks ago.  Seemed more crowded around the Gatlinburg - Pigeon Forge area than normal, we were there Mon-Fri (during the unofficial Spring Rod Run that had supposedly canceled yet the car exhibitors showed anyway).  Excluding business staff and restaurant staff, I could count on one hand the number of folks walking around with masks.  As far as "social distancing" was concerned, we didn't see much of it as it was darn near impossible to obtain it.  My wife and I stayed away from the crowded areas, we mainly puttered around in the mountains and outskirts around G'Burg and PF.  Of course washing hands and/or using a LOT of disinfecting wipes.  The restaurants were all prepared for the extra disinfecting as we saw. Many times we had to wait a little longer for a dine-in table because they were being wiped down thoroughly.  We just kind of used our common sense with regards to crowds.  We still had a great relaxing time with no issues.

I recently watched a Smokies vlogger who stated he had talked to G'Burg City officials and Sevier County officials which indicated to him this July 4th weekend is going to break area attendance records.  Seems like folks are giving up on going to the beach and coming to G'Burg and PF.

56 minutes ago, OlDog75 said:

Came back from Smokies a couple of weeks ago.  Seemed more crowded around the Gatlinburg - Pigeon Forge area than normal, we were there Mon-Fri (during the unofficial Spring Rod Run that had supposedly canceled yet the car exhibitors showed anyway).  Excluding business staff and restaurant staff, I could count on one hand the number of folks walking around with masks.  As far as "social distancing" was concerned, we didn't see much of it as it was darn near impossible to obtain it.  My wife and I stayed away from the crowded areas, we mainly puttered around in the mountains and outskirts around G'Burg and PF.  Of course washing hands and/or using a LOT of disinfecting wipes.  The restaurants were all prepared for the extra disinfecting as we saw. Many times we had to wait a little longer for a dine-in table because they were being wiped down thoroughly.  We just kind of used our common sense with regards to crowds.  We still had a great relaxing time with no issues.

I recently watched a Smokies vlogger who stated he had talked to G'Burg City officials and Sevier County officials which indicated to him this July 4th weekend is going to break area attendance records.  Seems like folks are giving up on going to the beach and coming to G'Burg and PF.

Going there in a few weeks, probably going to spend the majority of our time in the cabin. 

2 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

Panhandle of Florida is packed as well. Seems the whole nation has cabin fever from lockdowns.