Somerset 34 Mayfield 31 (Class 2A State Championship)

theguru

The still shot photo being posted doesn’t show that the Somerset player initiated 100% of the contact. For me, that is where I don’t get it. Doesn’t matter now.

I will say it was an outstanding game. I thought Somerset played with great sportsmanship (lot of butt and helmet pats, helping opponents up, etc.). They were a fun team to watch and certainly deserving of the title. Congrats to you guys. I’m proud of Mayfield and their perseverance this season. Had some ups and downs. Came up one play short. Wouldn’t trade my alma mater for anyone.

Since I posted it I will comment.

He went straight up claim - no he did not. He launched himself against the back the receiver with force and stopped the receiver in his path.

The Somerset player initiated the contact - no he did not. But it does not matter - this is not basketball.

Leveling a receiver in one pro game is allowed so its allowed in HS. Not sure how that logic works. Different levels different rules - very different rules.

NFHS rule

"Any A or B player who is beyond the neutral zone interferes with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass."

Note that the receiver is entitled to the opportunity to make a play on the pass. A defender is not entitled to hold their ground if it prevents allowing the offensive player to move toward the ball. This is what VOR has pointed out.

I have taken over half a million photos on the sidelines all levels of HS and MS for over 12 years. This is PI without a doubt and this type of contact is not allowed at the HS (or MS) level. Its always going to draw the flag (or should). The referees got it 100% correct. No blown call here.

Its unfortunate that the game comes down to such a bang-bang and close play with 00:00 on the clock. I feel very bad for the defender. But the call was correct according to NFHS rules.

Congrats to both teams. Outstanding achievement by both.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Somerset. Great win.

Somerset's players are very classy.

Proud of the Cardinals for not quitting while being down on the scoreboard. Every team I pulled for has won this week but my Cards. This one hurts. My sons are done playing but they feel this. Once a Cardinal always a Cardinal.

Good post ^

From where I was sitting at in Kroger Field which was around the 30 yard line on the Mayfield side, it looked like PI to me. Tough call but definitely contact.

The play that gave the Jumpers life was the play before the pass interference that got them about 40 yards on the wheel route. I thought Mayfield’d DB’s were way too close and should have been deeper to prevent that.

Most underrated player of the game had to be #17 from Mayfield. He made tons of clutch plays in this game. Losing Neely was a huge blow to the Cards and maybe affected them more on defense because Neely is a ball-hawk.

All in all that was one heck of a football game.

The WR that caught the last two passes is a DB that only had two catches all year before those last two.

Both the long pass and the winning TD were combo routes where the Mayfield DB's went with the in breaking receiver, leaving Tate wide open. Kudos to the coaches for having the perfect play in their pocket and ready to call.

He went straight up claim - no he did not. He launched himself against the back the receiver with force and stopped the receiver in his path.

The Somerset player initiated the contact - no he did not. But it does not matter - this is not basketball.

Leveling a receiver in one pro game is allowed so its allowed in HS. Not sure how that logic works. Different levels different rules - very different rules.

NFHS rule

"Any A or B player who is beyond the neutral zone interferes with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass."

Note that the receiver is entitled to the opportunity to make a play on the pass. A defender is not entitled to hold their ground if it prevents allowing the offensive player to move toward the ball. This is what VOR has pointed out.

I have taken over half a million photos on the sidelines all levels of HS and MS for over 12 years. This is PI without a doubt and this type of contact is not allowed at the HS (or MS) level. Its always going to draw the flag (or should). The referees got it 100% correct. No blown call here.

Its unfortunate that the game comes down to such a bang-bang and close play with 00:00 on the clock. I feel very bad for the defender. But the call was correct according to NFHS rules.

I watched the play several times on video and it was the correct call. This post nails it.

NFHS rule

And this officially ends the PI debate for those who were complaining.