Somerset 34 Mayfield 31 (Class 2A State Championship)

theguru

Cool story posted by Kaiya Sheron's mom on Facebook.

Please excuse this sappy post... I haven’t been able to tell this story without crying and I’m already starting to tear up typing it so here goes. This is a story of a yellow armband. 29 years ago my husband played for a state championship in Louisville. It was 1990 and the Gulf War had been going on a couple months so they gave out yellow armbands to the participants that year. After the loss, my husband gave one of the armbands to his best friend, Robbie Lucas, (Robbie had graduated the year prior and didn’t get to play for a state title and was a freshman in college planning on teaching and coaching) and told him “One day I’m going to have a son and he’s going to play football for you and you can give this back to him and he will wear it to win you a state championship”. We moved to Somerset when Kaiya was in the 6th grade. When Kaiya became a freshman, Coach Lucas gave the wristband to Kaiya and told him the story. For 2 1/2 years, Kaiya had the wristband in his drawer just waiting to make his dad a prophet. He showed it to Coach Lucas after the semi state win and he wore it in the state championship game. The rest they say is history. #Family #Brotherhood #OnlyMakesTheStoryBetter#StateChamps

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tate Madden is Mr. Clutch for Somerset.

All that kid has done all year is make critical plays on Offense and Defense!

According to the KHSAA website, before the championship game, Tate Madden had caught two passes the entire season.

His third catch was the biggest of big. :)

According to the KHSAA website, before the championship game, Tate Madden had caught two passes the entire season.

His third catch was the biggest of big. :)

He also caught one for 35 yards or so earlier on that last drive. So just 4 total catches for the year.

I disregard the PI because it could have went either way. I get going on two.. but why not run your best players and trust your guys to get one yard?? Then the last drive.. how do you get beat deep twice when you know they're going deep? Why do you have a QB spy with a kid who got two sacks the prior drive? If he runs he runs.. a lot of questionable coaching decisions on Mayfield I thought during that last minute of the game. It looked like Mayfield's first time in the situation, not Somerset. Crazy game on a day that was full of three great games.

I disregard the PI because it could have went either way. I get going on two.. but why not run your best players and trust your guys to get one yard?? Then the last drive.. how do you get beat deep twice when you know they're going deep? Why do you have a QB spy with a kid who got two sacks the prior drive? If he runs he runs.. a lot of questionable coaching decisions on Mayfield I thought during that last minute of the game. It looked like Mayfield's first time in the situation, not Somerset. Crazy game on a day that was full of three great games.

Agreed. So many questionable coaching decisions. After the false start I think you have to throw the ball on 4th and 6. Clock is stopping anyway. I understand bad things can happen i.e. Patriots-Seahawks but you have a very smart QB, go win the game. They had also blown 2 timeouts at very questionable times so they didn't gave any for their defense at the end. The team HAS to know that with 28 seconds and 86 yards to go with no timeouts you CANNOT get beat deep and funnel everything to the middle of the field so the clock can't stop. You have to go at least 3 deep there if not 4 and I mean DEEP. It was a total meltdown.

First class in the past ten years for Mayfield to graduate without a ring. Feel terrible for those kids. They went 3 straight years and come home empty handed. And to lose like that their senior year.

On the other hand you have the first class to ever win a ring in 100+ years for Somerset. Has to feel awesome for them and every Briarjumper that came before them.

One more thing that has been pointed out several times but can't be understated is the wonderful sportsmanship displayed by both teams the entire game.

In my eyes Mayfield has no one else to blame but themselves, "no scapegoats"! 4th and 1 in the redzone with under a minute up 3. Then not coverting and allowing a team to go 86 yards in under 40 seconds.

That was at best a 50/50 call that needed to get made. You don't want the game to end on a controversial call. It allowed both teams one more opportunity to make a play to win a championship. Somerset did and Mayfield didn't. BOTTOM LINE!

I my eyes Mayfield has no one else to blame but themselves, "no scapegoats"! 4th and 1 in the redzone with under a minute up 3. Then not coverting and allowing a team to go 86 yards in under 40 seconds.

That was at best a 50/50 call that needed to get made. You don't want the game to end on a controversial call. It allowed both teams one more opportunity to make a play to win a championship. Somerset did and Mayfield didn't. BOTTOM LINE!

I agree. I cried about the call that whole evening. Could have went either way. Like you said game should have never got to that point and even after the call Somerset still had to go 20 yards in one play. And they did just that.

Watching the final play, right before the snap a Mayfield player leaves the player in the slot and moves over to rush the qb.

DB's on that side had to re-adjust right at the snap of the ball, leaving Madden open in the corner. That last second defensive shift, I think confused the DBs on that side and two went with the first WR in the stack...leaving no one on the back side.

Agreed. So many questionable coaching decisions. After the false start I think you have to throw the ball on 4th and 6. Clock is stopping anyway. I understand bad things can happen i.e. Patriots-Seahawks but you have a very smart QB, go win the game. They had also blown 2 timeouts at very questionable times so they didn't gave any for their defense at the end. The team HAS to know that with 28 seconds and 86 yards to go with no timeouts you CANNOT get beat deep and funnel everything to the middle of the field so the clock can't stop. You have to go at least 3 deep there if not 4 and I mean DEEP. It was a total meltdown.

First class in the past ten years for Mayfield to graduate without a ring. Feel terrible for those kids. They went 3 straight years and come home empty handed. And to lose like that their senior year.

On the other hand you have the first class to ever win a ring in 100+ years for Somerset. Has to feel awesome for them and every Briarjumper that came before them.

One more thing that has been pointed out several times but can't be understated is the wonderful sportsmanship displayed by both teams the entire game.

I felt the same way with the fourth down. Looked like the fourth and 6 call was the same thing the fourth and 1 call was going to be. Why not run the RPO stuff they had been running that seemed to work. That's insane though.. first class in ten years without a ring. Says a lot about their dominance they've had.

I know how bad the Cardinals wanted to win this game, especially for those kids. In no way did one team, just want it more. Both teams played their guts out.

That said, you guys have no idea how much this first title means to not only our team, but our school, our alumni and our community.

To me beating Mayfield is like beating Alabama or the Patriots, if you're going to be called a champion...you want to be the best program around. Mayfield is the gold standard in small school football, I'm happy that's who we got to play.

Somerset physically dominated this game from the outset. If we had lost we would go back to the fumbled kickoff return and blame that play for the turnaround but honestly Somerset was the better team overall. Mayfield fans, I’m sorry, but stop. You guys are devaluing a heck of a season and validating what most believe to be true about Mayfield fans - whiners.

Somerset physically dominated this game from the outset. If we had lost we would go back to the fumbled kickoff return and blame that play for the turnaround but honestly Somerset was the better team overall. Mayfield fans, I’m sorry, but stop. You guys are devaluing a heck of a season and validating what most believe to be true about Mayfield fans - whiners.

Sir yes sir.

Congrats to Somerset! I’m definitely a Mayfield fan. This was a great game that came down to inches. Sometimes you win the games sometimes you lose them. Both teams played with a lot of heart and left it on the field. The # 1 thing I noticed was a lot of sportsmanship during the game. This was not our year. However as long as you have Joe Morris we have a shot to be back in this game next year.