Somerset 34 Mayfield 31 (Class 2A State Championship)

theguru

Here is the play. Looks like the right call to me.

Twitter

Saw a different angle from another twitter post. Which was still left some doubt about accuracy of call. But this was a better angle. And no, not a good call. Mayfield player goes straight up and Somerset player runs into him. Crappy call. But it is what it is.

Hard to argue against pass interference. The defender put his arms into the back of the receiver before the ball got there. Then the ball hits 2-3 yards behind both of them. If that ball comes down where one or both of them get a hand on the ball, it would be a tougher call. When there is contact 3 yards up field from where the ball hits and the defender impeeds the receiver's ability to get to the ball, I think it is pass interference.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to the Briar Jumpers. I am sure have seen most of that team in Lexington on Halloween weekends for the KYMSFA championships as 7th and 8th graders.

On PI - definitely the right call. Sorry to see it come into play but right call - especially in HS.

[ATTACH]69460[/ATTACH]

He wasn’t catching that ball regardless. PI was the best outcome.

He wasn’t catching that ball regardless. PI was the best outcome.

Somerset’s best receiver - a baseball junior Olympian and gamer like none other... I’d say they did a good job with the pass interference bc he would’ve absolutely caught it.

Here is the play. Looks like the right call to me.

Twitter

Not trying to sound like a sore loser but the kid played TEXTBOOK defense on that play. He backpedaled with his eyes on the QB and the ball the entire play and then jumped to make a play on the ball when it arrived. Honestly if anything it is offensive PI. #6 beat him to the spot, was squared up and in perfect position. The receiver then proceeded to run straight through him. Correct me if I'm wrong and losing my mind.

Not trying to sound like a sore loser but the kid played TEXTBOOK defense on that play. He backpedaled with his eyes on the QB and the ball the entire play and then jumped to make a play on the ball when it arrived. Honestly if anything it is offensive PI. #6 beat him to the spot, was squared up and in perfect position. The receiver then proceeded to run straight through him. Correct me if I'm wrong and losing my mind.

It will go down as a controversial call.

Congratulations to the Briar Jumpers. I am sure have seen most of that team in Lexington on Halloween weekends for the KYMSFA championships as 7th and 8th graders.

On PI - definitely the right call. Sorry to see it come into play but right call - especially in HS.

[ATTACH]69460[/ATTACH]

That picture captures the key moment. The ball hits 2-3 yards behind this contact. If the DB does the exact same thing 2-3 yards further back and he or the WR gets their hand on the ball, no PI. Since this contact happened 2-3 yards upfield from the ball, the DB impeded the WR getting to the ball. It is a close call but I can definitely see it as PI and it is hard to argue it isn't.

[ATTACH]69460[/ATTACH]

#6 was in that spot 2 full seconds before the receiver got there. Same idea as a charge in because. He has every right in the world to that spot on the field. He is about to jump up for the ball and the receiver flies right into him. And I second the questionable call of saying the runner made it out of bounds on the first play of that drive. Was definitely in bounds when tackled. Crucial.

That picture captures the key moment. The ball hits 2-3 yards behind this contact. If the DB does the exact same thing 2-3 yards further back and he or the WR gets their hand on the ball, no PI. Since this contact happened 2-3 yards upfield from the ball, the DB impeded the WR getting to the ball. It is a close call but I can definitely see it as PI and it is hard to argue it isn't.

So by rule he is not allowed to be in position where he can time his jump and play the ball? He has to scoot back to where he can catch it flatfooted so that the receiver has a chance to jump and catch it? Seems legit.

Not going to promise I'm done arguing that call lol. But on another note I do want to congratulate Somerset (team, fans, community) on getting over the hump and winning the title in an awesome game. That team was fun to watch and it's scary that Sheron, Grundy and #23 have another year left in them.