Somerset 34 Mayfield 31 (Class 2A State Championship)

theguru

They're was a lot done on that final play. I watched the back angle, and couldn't believe how lucky the Jumpers were. The RG I believe the Simmons kid picked up the blitz, and turned, and the DE for Mayfield was about 2 yards from hitting Sheron while Harper was losing him, and got popped by Simmons as Sheron released. The offensive line held just enough to get time, and Madden uncovered. Johnson was still cramped up, and stayed on the block. Somerset Offensive line was on point, Sheron was a leader, Madden was the hero. Just a great story year for the Jumpers. Somerset won the trenches.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somerset physically dominated this game from the outset. If we had lost we would go back to the fumbled kickoff return and blame that play for the turnaround but honestly Somerset was the better team overall. Mayfield fans, I’m sorry, but stop. You guys are devaluing a heck of a season and validating what most believe to be true about Mayfield fans - whiners.

I understand I was crying over the pass interference later that evening after the game. When you have to take a 4+ hour trip home after defeat for a third straight year it hurts. I was in the wrong I admit. But since I have congratulated Somerset several times and really am happy it was a public school that beat us and one that had never brought home a championship. But when you say Somerset dominated the entire game you're just flat wrong.

Mayfield

First Downs-20

Rush Yards- 165

Pass yards- 241

Total yards- 406

Penalties- 10 for 83 yards

Somerset

First downs- 18

Rush yards- 137

Pass yards- 175

Total yards- 312

Penalties- 3 for 10 yards

So if you want to call me whatever name you want that's fine. But it was an awesome game between evenly matched teams and that's the bottom line. Congrats once again.

I understand I was crying over the pass interference later that evening after the game. When you have to take a 4+ hour trip home after defeat for a third straight year it hurts. I was in the wrong I admit. But since I have congratulated Somerset several times and really am happy it was a public school that beat us and one that had never brought home a championship. But when you say Somerset dominated the entire game you're just flat wrong.

Mayfield

First Downs-20

Rush Yards- 165

Pass yards- 241

Total yards- 406

Penalties- 10 for 83 yards

Somerset

First downs- 18

Rush yards- 137

Pass yards- 175

Total yards- 312

Penalties- 3 for 10 yards

So if you want to call me whatever name you want that's fine. But it was an awesome game between evenly matched teams and that's the bottom line. Congrats once again.

I stand by my statement that Somerset PHYSICALLY dominated this game from the onset.

Proceed.

Two stands inside the 20 - Somerset was 4/4 in the red zone. Somerset’s offensive line got push on an 8 man box and was still able to make lanes for the backfield.

Stinson and company for mayfield are unbelievable. Timing game for them was phenomenal and the running back is as underrated an athlete as the jumpers have seen.

That said there was only about a 5 minute period on the clock I felt like Somerset wasn’t in control of the game. All said and done I would’ve been disappointed in the loss but proud of what these guys accomplished. I know it’s been there done that for Mayfield fans but the attitude of championship or bust is asinine in public school high school sports. Your kids are PHENOMENAL football players and they deserve credit for an outstanding season.

I can see what you are saying, Somerset did dominate the trenches on the offensive side of the ball, but they didn't dominate the game. This Mayfield team wasn't like the Mayfield of old. They can lose the trench battle, but "outflank" you all game on the outside. I think the first two drives of the game kind of sums up how each other offense dominated in their own style. Somerset pounded it down the middle (later opened up passes by their outstanding qb) and Mayfield hit a bomb right back at them.

Still can't believe this happened, living in Mayfield you can not go anywhere without someone watching that PI call. Just an absolute amazing game that we will hear about forever. I can easily see Somerset winning again next year with quite a bit of talent coming back. Mayfield will lose ALOT of talent. I would say they'll be down next year, but I have come to realize that they're never down.

For me, emotion definitely clouded logic with regards to the PI call. That has happened to everyone on this site at some point or another, so I think we can dispense with the "all Mayfield fans are whiners". If we got beat DECISIVELY and were still on here complaining, there would be absolute merit to that accusation. But given what it came down to, questioning the call is a reaction you would see from any fanbase, not just Mayfield. It didn't matter what the call ended up being (PI or not), there would have been discussion on this site as to the legitimacy of said call, and the result of the game no matter who you were rooting for. And that's what this site is for.

As far as Somerset dominating, their pass blocking was great most of the game. And there were drives where their run game stalled, and then other drives where they methodically marched down. Their red zone defense was a difference maker, forcing Mayfield to kick a field goal twice (missing one) and obviously the 4th and 6 stop on Mayfield's last possession. Both teams made critical errors. Somerset recovered well and Mayfield didn't. But numbers don't lie, and this was a photo finish. Winning by the skin of your teeth is the opposite of domination.