Its official, Kentucky will be moving to 6 classes

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible, terrible move for KY High School football. First they allow 4 teams in each district to make the playoffs. Now this. It will mean much less to win a state title now. Especially in the lower classes. Hopefully when the KHSAA realizes what a terrible idea this is, they will return to a four class system. Unfortunately the teams that win state titles during this period will probably have asterisks next to their names.

Will there still be four teams from every district in the playoffs? If that is the case, then only one team won't make the playoffs in all of 2A. That is terrible. What's the point of playing the regular season?

Looks like Somerset is dodging another district that doesn't suit them.

That rings kind of hollow when they're playing up a class and none of their district opponents is more than an hour drive from home. Even in the proposed 2A district Somerset should have been in the top 2 most years and in the top 3 every year. You're actually going to down a team for playing up a class when they would have been one of the smaller 2A teams--is it just jealousy or are you going to continue to make Somerset the scapegoat for the whole public/private thing?

District 2 -- Beth Haven, Bethlehem, Caverna, Evangel, Lou. Holy Cross, Kentucky Country Day

This has to be the easiest district anyone could ever come up with. Evangel and Beth Haven just started football, Caverna and KCD are not very competitive and Bethlehem can't compete on a yearly basis with Holy Cross. The Cougars should never lose a district game!

Fantastic FballStud. Covington is a town that IMO is on the verge of a renaissance. Cincinnatti is in decline and the committment to growth has moved to NKY. Holmes needs to hold their head high, continue the trend of community growth, and things will gradually and noticable improve IMO.

You're point is well taken and appreciated. I don't know if Covington is really 'depressed', it's simply a diverse inner city district with all the good and bad that goes with that. As a life long resident of the area, I will tell you that Holmes is one of the best schools in this state, and the spirit and support for their kids is deep and has been for as long as I can remember. People take their shots, but they all make Holmes night on their schedule...You should have seen the cheering section give the Colonel Crazies all they could handle this year in basketball...it was awesome! It's the only night I remember seeing the blue colonels pause and try to think up a response...several times. I am very proud to have the Bulldogs in NK...they deal with a lot that some of us don't have to, and they always keep moving forward. (btw...I'm a CCH parent)

This is stupid..

Until they split Private school and Public school tournaments it doesn't really matter...

Schools of only 400 to 500 boys shoudln't have to play schools of 1000-3000 boys.. It's Ridiculous..

As to your last paragraph, they don't.

That rings kind of hollow when they're playing up a class and none of their district opponents is more than an hour drive from home. Even in the proposed 2A district Somerset should have been in the top 2 most years and in the top 3 every year. You're actually going to down a team for playing up a class when they would have been one of the smaller 2A teams--is it just jealousy or are you going to continue to make Somerset the scapegoat for the whole public/private thing?

Very good post! :thumb: . I've tried to be conservative with my post on this subject just for the reason that Somerset has been somewhat of the scapegoat for the P/P debate. I'm still curious though for the official reason that Somerset petitioned for the class move up.

Very good post! :thumb: . I've tried to be conservative with my post on this subject just for the reason that Somerset has been somewhat of the scapegoat for the P/P debate. I'm still curious though for the official reason that Somerset petitioned for the class move up.

From what I heard it put them in a district with 6 teams instead of 5 so there was one less game to schedule plus all of the teams in that district are located within an hour's drive instead of the longer drives to Middlesboro, Knott, and Leslie. I would have liked to have seen the Corbin-Middlesboro games each year but maybe we can get at least one of them on the schedule each year as a non-district game.

The district that Somerset was placed in makes sense as far as travel time and I can see that as the main reason for asking to be moved up. But the fact that Somerset's Principal in on the KHSAA Board of Control will cause a lot of people(not me) to question why they were allowed to move up to what appears to be a much easier district.

Corbin will more than likely be in that district also after the initial 2-year period is up, so maybe they can resume their rivalry then. If the KHSAA used current enrollment figures, Corbin would already be classified as 3A with over 360 boys in the high school this year.