Its official, Kentucky will be moving to 6 classes

The KHSAA website does not reflect Harlan Consolidated. Maybe they have elected not to compete for state title as their superintendent stated earlier this year.
"Harlan Consolidated" refers to the new Harlan County school that will be formed with the consolidation of Cawood, Cumberland and Evarts sometime in the next 2-3 years.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys make sure you go to the celebrations next year at the six state champion schools and remind them that their trophy means little since it is watered down.

Note: Wear padding.

Nah, some of them would know, that's enough for me.,

First off I said 1000-3000 not knowing the exact number.

I guess your right, a school of 700-800 boys is pretty fair playing against schools with 1400-1500 boys. :rolleyes: Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of dollars that go into the these private school football programs. Some of the now 4A soon to be 6A are happy to get a few thousand dollars a year. Heck St.X probably spends as much on their mouthpieces as some entire football teams do all season. It's unfair. Until private schools have their own playoffs it will always be a lop-sided tournament..

It's hard enough getting 80 of the 800 boys to play football. I wouldn't doubt that St. X doesn't turn kids away..

The money Trinity and X gets are through Boosters. Public schools are allowed to have boosters as well, on top of that public schools are supported by the state. That gives publics an advantage over privates. Getting kids to turn out is another problem for the school, being public or private does not matter. If you are going to whine about it, bring up things that are unchangeable. If your football culture is weak in terms of amount of participants, how can that be blamed on public-vs-private. That is your schools problem, that is the culture that your school has cultivated. Look in the mirror and make a concerted effort to change that. In terms of size of the schools, what can you do about it, kick St. X and Trinity out of the playoffs?

Maybe not...but they would still KNOW>

The fact that they play down (way down usually) in every game save one doesn't seem to stifle the crowing of certain Trinity faithful. Deep down, do the Shamrocks think their titles are a sham?

If I were a Trinity fan, I sure wouldn't be taunting others about winning watered-down championships.

Its here, so my attitude is that I don't care. Play what's in front of you because that's all there is. For us (and most teams), "watered down" still means getting past Covington Catholic, Highlands, etc., so at most it ptobably means more money for all involved and advancing a little farther than usual for good teams. Private schools undeniably enjoy a general unfair advantage, simply because they get to exist under different rules. If you lose, you have a built-in excuse. If you win, you get to rub it in. 4 champs vs. 6...there's room. It doesn't matter beyond that. There was a time when a Class A team was pretty much consensus (e.g., Pikeville in the late 80s) the best team in the state. There was a Danville team or two that could claim the same. Until the powers that be let the playoffs continue beyond a "class" state champ, to a "Super Saturday" with 6 champs and 2 at large, then 8 to 4 to 2 to 1 true champ, we'll never know. It'll never happen either. Good or bad, it probably doesn't matter 20 years later anyway.