Open Job: Danville

Coach Judy Mason announced on Facebook that she will be stepping down. She cited another change in Administration influenced her decision. Hats off to Coach Mason for a great career at Danville.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hate to see it.  Coach Mason has been an amazing coach for the Lady Ads, easily the best in program history.  Only coach to take the Lady Ads to the state tournament (and also win a game there).  Had some close calls in the regional tournament to get back there as well in recent seasons.  She will be sorely missed on the sidelines.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 9:33 PM, DanvilleFan said:

Hate to see it.  Coach Mason has been an amazing coach for the Lady Ads, easily the best in program history.  Only coach to take the Lady Ads to the state tournament (and also win a game there).  Had some close calls in the regional tournament to get back there as well in recent seasons.  She will be sorely missed on the sidelines.

Where will the Ads turn in your opinion?

7 hours ago, LethalPG said:

Where will the Ads turn in your opinion?

That's a good question.  I'm honestly not sure.  This job hasn't tended to attract a wide pool of candidates in the past because of the size of the school and the Ads did get lucky a long time ago when Boyle drove Mason out and she came to Danville. 

Former Garrard coach Jimmie McCulley was an assistant coach under Mason for several years and could be a target but I'm not sure if there's any interest there.  They could run it back with Cliff Berry, who went 14-14 with a young team in his one year at the helm from 2017-2018 and who came back for a while to coach the boy's team as an assistant (he worked under McKinney).

The two attractions to this job is that with Danville you will always have some athletes/players in the building if you can get them.  And you have a chance to make the All A state tournament every year.  DCA's recent rise complicates some the latter, though.

It's going to be hard to replace Coach Mason's drive, competitiveness, and energy.  She demanded a lot of her players but got an awful lot back in return.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Ads end up with a first-time coach for this job but I'm hoping they could hit a home run with an accomplished coach, obviously.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...