Rare Lion Killed by American Dentist

hoops5

From what I understand it was on a preserve where it was monitored and such and they bribed a guard with around $30,000 then lured the lion off the protected area by tying a carcass to their truck. The guy is claiming since the lion wasn't in its protected area that he didn't know he couldn't kill it.

Hard to defend the guy.

I guess what I don't understand is the fact that, if the lion was on the preserve or not, if the species is on an endangered list, it is illegal to hunt it no matter where it is. Isn't it? If he saw it swimming in the middle of the ocean it would be illegal to hunt it if on the endangered list, right? If that's the case then the guy has no argument at all, no matter where the lion was. But maybe I am wrong about not being able to hunt endangered animals. But if I am then that seems very contradictory.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article says that Cecil and another lion were part of a pride that included 6 lioness' and their offspring. Now with only 1 lion protecting the pride, they fear for the young, as they won't have the protection of Cecil.

And I don't care if he shot it for free. The dentist disgusts me.

I guess what I don't understand is the fact that, if the lion was on the preserve or not, if the species is on an endangered list, it is illegal to hunt it no matter where it is. Isn't it? If he saw it swimming in the middle of the ocean it would be illegal to hunt it if on the endangered list, right? If that's the case then the guy has no argument at all, no matter where the lion was. But maybe I am wrong about not being able to hunt endangered animals. But if I am then that seems very contradictory.

I mean, it's Zimbabwe we are talking about, but it looks like his "companions" have been arrested and the guy has been charged there. He's just not in the country anymore, I guess.

Article says that Cecil and another lion were part of a pride that included 6 lioness' and their offspring. Now with only 1 lion protecting the pride, they fear for the young, as they won't have the protection of Cecil.

And I don't care if he shot it for free. The dentist disgusts me.

I really hope this loser ends up losing his practice over this. No way would I still give him my business. Hopefully the vast majority of his clientele feel the same way.

You lure a lion of protected property with a carcass, then you shoot it, and you call that hunting? What possible thrill could you get out of that? I don't get that at all.

I have a friend, whose wife, brother and father went with him on a bear hunt once. All four of them got a bear. He showed me a video of his brother's "kill". Nearly made me sick. They're sitting up on this elevated perch, with the bear lured in by a freakin' garbage can full of trash. It wasn't hunting, it was target practice. Sickening.

I struggle with killing animals like deer and I actually eat them. I can't imagine killing such an animal just to pose for a picture. That's not even cool in any way.

As long as your doing for the meat than I don't really see how it is any different that killing a cow, chicken or pig.

I do not hunt and have never hunted. Zero interest to me.

However, if this same lion had been off of the protected area and they lured him in and then shot him I'd have no issue with it. I don't care how beloved the animal was. I do not care that he was part of a pride. I do not care if they mount the head on the wall. If it's done legally then I'm cool with whatever you want to do and do not care how much they spend. No different than I don't care how much your boat costs or your country club membership. It's your money.

But the guy knowingly (most likely) knew that his actions were illegal. Not sure if they can try him or not and I doubt he would be extradited. Guy probably got lucky in that regard.

The lion is prey. Prey sometimes loses.

I do not hunt and have never hunted. Zero interest to me.

However, if this same lion had been off of the protected area and they lured him in and then shot him I'd have no issue with it. I don't care how beloved the animal was. I do not care that he was part of a pride. I do not care if they mount the head on the wall. If it's done legally then I'm cool with whatever you want to do and do not care how much they spend. No different than I don't care how much your boat costs or your country club membership. It's your money.

But the guy knowingly (most likely) knew that his actions were illegal. Not sure if they can try him or not and I doubt he would be extradited. Guy probably got lucky in that regard.

The lion is prey. Prey sometimes loses.

Well said, that basically sums up my feelings, too.