Rare Lion Killed by American Dentist

hoops5

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or any of the other animals he's pictured with in the article, but I guess that's a topic for a different thread...

I agree, I love to shoot and would every day if I could. But I have rarely ever hunted, hunting for food I have zero issues with. Hunting for sport, is completely different IMO.

I agree, I love to shoot and would every day if I could. But I have rarely ever hunted, hunting for food I have zero issues with. Hunting for sport, is completely different IMO.

While I could never do it, I'm with you. You kill a deer and make deer sausage and the like, good on you. You kill a deer just to mount it's head, and do nothing with the meat, sorry I have a very poor opinion of you.

While I could never do it, I'm with you. You kill a deer and make deer sausage and the like, good on you. You kill a deer just to mount it's head, and do nothing with the meat, sorry I have a very poor opinion of you.

I truly don't know of anybody who does that, and I'd consider myself a rather avid outdoorsman for the most part.

The only animals out there I know that most hunt just to kill are coyotes, which I'm completely fine with.

With that said, this dude disgusts me as well.

And deer hunting is truly necessary for conservation purposes. There is a severe deer overpopulation in many areas, and population control is a necessity. While I don't hunt (I was taught how to hunt, and hunted deer and rabbits as a teen with my Dad and Uncles, but didn't have the stomach or heart to kill animals), many I know that do hunt, not only use the meat themselves, but also donate it to those in need. This big game stuff...killing lions, elephants, rhino's for sport is just sickening. The fact that these animals are somewhat captive on preserves really doesn't make it very sporting, and hunting one of these animals that are used to the presence of people from a jeep doesn't seem like it would take too much skill.

It seems that the very rich do this for sport. Probably because there is no struggle in their life. They are bored.

I have always said that happiness is in the struggle. Take away the struggle, and people "manufacture" struggle/drama/the hunt, in order to find happiness.

It seems that the very rich do this for sport. Probably because there is no struggle in their life. They are bored.

I have always said that happiness is in the struggle. Take away the struggle, and people "manufacture" struggle/drama/the hunt, in order to find happiness.

You've alluded several times to this individual's wealth. Should he not have the same opportunities as you & I to spend his money however he sees fit? If he wants to pay $50,000 to go on a (legal) hunting safari, more power to him.

Dentist is saying that he paid the guides for a legal hunt and he had no idea this was a "Famous" lion until afterwards.

While that sounds plausible, I think his history of illegally shooting a bear and moving the carcass 40miles to a legal hunting zone and a past history of paying off sexual harassment claims would tend to paint him as a real jerk.

I don't see how anyone could shoot a lion.

Trust me, if I'm in Africa, or somewhere , and a lion comes after me, I'm shooting a lion. :sneaky:

You've alluded several times to this individual's wealth. Should he not have the same opportunities as you & I to spend his money however he sees fit? If he wants to pay $50,000 to go on a (legal) hunting safari, more power to him.

You are right. I have brought up his wealth. Shame on me. I am guilty of judging him on how he spends his money.

Read the comment section, dude has been charged and found guilty of poaching black bear before in MN.

I brought this up in a similar thread a while back...but the article states that the African lion is on the endangered species list. If so, how can it legally be hunted at all?

From what I understand it was on a preserve where it was monitored and such and they bribed a guard with around $30,000 then lured the lion off the protected area by tying a carcass to their truck. The guy is claiming since the lion wasn't in its protected area that he didn't know he couldn't kill it.

Hard to defend the guy.

From what I understand it was on a preserve where it was monitored and such and they bribed a guard with around $30,000 then lured the lion off the protected area by tying a carcass to their truck. The guy is claiming since the lion wasn't in its protected area that he didn't know he couldn't kill it.

Hard to defend the guy.

And yet....

Trust me, if I'm in Africa, or somewhere , and a lion comes after me, I'm shooting a lion. :sneaky:

OK yeah, that's a little different than stalking and hunting it :thumb:

In this case he shot it with a bow and then followed it for 40 something hours before shooting it to kill it.

Hard to defend the guy.

And yet....

I'm not defending this dude's actions. By all accounts he is an experienced hunter and likely knew (or should have known) that luring an animal from the preservation park into an unrestricted area is wrong. This is even more troubling considering his history of doing the same (or similar) things. But he's not the first person to pay to hunt.

My point is that people all over the country spend their money on things that don't make sense to me -- but it's their money and they are free to spend it however they wish (obviously within the confines of the law).

Hoops' two comments about this individual's wealth were made prior to any posts about him bribing a guard. If he indeed bribed the guard with $30,000, then hoops' comments are fair. I was not aware of that until after I made my post.