Louisville 31 Miami 13

Pura Vida

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That. Was. Awesome.

I live in a world where Louisville is 1-0 in league play... in the ACC. How amazing is that?

Ultimately not surprised by the score line but didn't have that particular recipe. Impressed by how well the defense managed to contain Duke Johnson (Kaaya being essentially a zero threat downfield helped that). Horrified by Gardner's inability to take care of the ball.

Lots to build on. Lots of concerns (the offensive line was a real weakness).

It's going to be a fun season.

The bolded is what stood out to me. Room to grow, but UL had some major breakdowns up front.

I really enjoyed the game. I watched a lot of football this weekend, and I didn't see a team that had more defensive closing speed than Louisville. I'm interested to see how they respond to someone who can attack them vertically.

I'm sure next week will be a cake walk with Murray, but I hope Jonathan Jackson has 25 tackles.

Miami is down 24-13 late in the 3rd or early in the 4th quarter with the ball on UofL's 25 (approximately). They just turned 3rd and 23 into 4th and about 6. Instead of going for the field goal to get it within 8 he went for it and, essentially, game over.

Of course, if they can't stop Louisville it doesn't matter but I stopped watching after they didn't get it on 4th down because I knew it was over. I guess he has zero confidence in his kicker?

Three straight losses to those fellas in red and black.

Miami hasn't been Miami since Larry Coker. All their recruits end up at Louisville.

Miami hasn't been Miami since Butch Davis. Coker road Davis' departing wave for a few years but it caught up to him pretty quickly. Maybe they should give Luther back his sideline pass.

I think Louisville needs to be a little bit concerned about the offense. Could just be first game jitters but they looked extremely unimpressive in the first half. That said Brown was one of the best backs I watched all weekend. He is a freaking load. He flat laid out one of Miami's LB on one play. I'm not looking forward to watching UK try and stop that train. Louisville's D looked really good. They looked fast and did a great job against one of the best backs in the NCAA.

I think if Petrino can get the kinks worked out on offense they will make some noise in the ACC. I watched Clemson and FSU both this weekend and neither looked head and shoulders above Louisville.

I saw the final game in the old Fairgrounds Cardinal Stadium and was there last night for the ACC debut.

And saw Louisville get thrashed in the old Orange Bowl in 1983 42-14.

My how things have changed in so many ways for Cardinal football.

That they have. The only time I've seen a L'ville game was when EKU thrashed them in Schnellenberger's first season. (This after a jab at 1-AA teams that was poorly timed by Coach)

Cards have truly come a long way.

Impressed to see the fan support last night as well. Seemed to be a raucous crowd in a weekend full of college football where UofL got the spotlight all to itself for the Labor Day evening weekend capstone without any NFL or other college football competition. Good scheduling by UofL and the ACC.

Gardner seems to have the physical capabilities. Poor decisions led to worse results (e.g., free LB on a blitz and instead of heaving it in the direction of a WR and out of bounds, Gardner retreats and tries to get away. Bad result would have been 15 yd. loss and a drive killer. Worse result was coughing up the ball when hit -- although credit to him for grabbing a leg and holding on for dear life. Turned out saving them 4 points and momentum.)

Dyer and Parker will help when they return. Also, some drops by UofL WRs need to be fixed.

Finally, hope the refs are not a sign of what to expect in the ACC. Several missed facemask and pass interference penalties. On 1 of the pass interference penalties, not only was the DB early, he targeted the head of the WR in the process. Even if the zebra thought he got there on time (he didn't), that is supposed to be an area of emphasis this year. Saw a kid get tossed in the GA v. Clemson game for a much less violent effort.