Louisville 31 Miami 13

Pura Vida

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no real allegiance in college football, so I watched this very neutral. I thought Louisville's OL and QB have lots of room to improve, but they did make plays. Offense is Petrino's strength and they will improve in those areas. I was most concerned about the QB's mobility, but Petrino doesn't ask that. He just seemed like a statue back there. The defense was quick and very impressive. They looked like a Top 25 team to me from what I saw of the many games the weekend. They will go bowling no doubt, but there is lots of room for improvement. Miami looked dreadful, not sure if they are that bad or Louisville is that good. We have a month to really see how good Louisville is because they will cruise the next few weeks.

We have a month to really see how good Louisville is because they will cruise the next few weeks.

The game at Virginia seems like a bit of a trap, but sandwiched between Murray State and Florida International, it's the biggest game for the rest of September, so they should be ready to roll. Nonetheless, on the road in a conference game against a team with a pretty decent defense that just gave Top 10 UCLA everything they could handle (again, at least on defense).

Impressed to see the fan support last night as well. Seemed to be a raucous crowd in a weekend full of college football where UofL got the spotlight all to itself for the Labor Day evening weekend capstone without any NFL or other college football competition. Good scheduling by UofL and the ACC.

Gardner seems to have the physical capabilities. Poor decisions led to worse results (e.g., free LB on a blitz and instead of heaving it in the direction of a WR and out of bounds, Gardner retreats and tries to get away. Bad result would have been 15 yd. loss and a drive killer. Worse result was coughing up the ball when hit -- although credit to him for grabbing a leg and holding on for dear life. Turned out saving them 4 points and momentum.)

Dyer and Parker will help when they return. Also, some drops by UofL WRs need to be fixed.

Finally, hope the refs are not a sign of what to expect in the ACC. Several missed facemask and pass interference penalties. On 1 of the pass interference penalties, not only was the DB early, he targeted the head of the WR in the process. Even if the zebra thought he got there on time (he didn't), that is supposed to be an area of emphasis this year. Saw a kid get tossed in the GA v. Clemson game for a much less violent effort.

I was as well. It seemed like at times the box was as loud as I've ever heard it, at least it was as best you can tell on TV.

Folks that are talking about UL struggles on offense have to understand a few things.

1. UL offensvie line is a work in progress

2. Gardner Started his first college game

3. UL was missing a couple of guys

Yes The U isnt the U of the 80's or 90's. But they still aint Ohio or Missouri State - 2 teams the Cards played last 2 years.

I am excited that UL fans are a little uneasy about the Offensive production - We wouldnt have cared in 1989 in old Cardina Stadium - Times have changed and this team will be much better each week.

Not to mention our Special Team return teams killed us - opening kick off and first two times Miami punted. That is 3 times started inside the 10.

Saw Petrino take Kai De La Cruz aside and give him a talking to (read: yelling at) after he fair caught one at the six. He was not pleased.

Folks that are talking about UL struggles on offense have to understand a few things.

1. UL offensvie line is a work in progress

2. Gardner Started his first college game

3. UL was missing a couple of guys

The line shored up just as the game went on. They continued to struggle with pass protection, but the run block opened up some nice holes for Brown in the second half, most notably on that touchdown run. I do believe they'll get better and it'll be nice for them to get some more reps in against Murray before another league game.

I thought Gardner played fairly well except for the fumbles and an errant throw-away. I think Petrino was quoted in the paper that Gardner has not had any contact all year, if not longer. Could that be true? If so, I can see how he would not be prepared to secure the ball. The young man has a strong arm. I am not really worried about him. Petrino made some beautiful play calls last night. I think this ability of his will take some of the pressure off Gardner and the evolving OL. UL was a little sloppy, both in performance and discipline, but I guess that is to be expected for the first game under a new coach. Miami's QB was not good but of course he is a true freshman. When UL was sealing the deal with the 7-8 minute drive in the 4th quarter, all I could think of was Michael Bush doing the same thing as Dom Brown. BTW, when did he all of a sudden become 240 pounds, as the TV commentators said? The heaviest that I recall him being listed at is 222.