Strongest Players

SkinsLB22

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a good program, those numbers are easily attainable. The number 600 just doesn't come up alot in these parts, so thats why theres dissbelief. It just takes commitment.

Ex. The 1994 Leslie Co. team that went 13-1 and lost to Cov Cath in the state semi's, had 7 guys squatting over 500lbs. The leader was Randall Cobb, who squatted 645, and the bar was bending over his back.

I don't buy that a 600lb squat is easily attainable. If it were easy, everyone would do it. It is rare and an accomplishment that should be impressive. Those few who get it have done something IMHO.

If 3 wishes says it, I believe it. I have never seen any dishonesty in his posts and have no reason to doubt him. This does seem unrealistic to me, but if he says it, I have to buy into it. That is amazing.

3 Wishes is correct. I have seen it myself. The kid is stacked from top to bottom. Come spend a week at the Rock and see the work going on. 5 days during 4th block and M-W-F after school till 5:00. Got the time. Come on down. Working hard again for another regional championship.

3 Wishes is correct. I have seen it myself. The kid is stacked from top to bottom. Come spend a week at the Rock and see the work going on. 5 days during 4th block and M-W-F after school till 5:00. Got the time. Come on down. Working hard again for another regional championship.

Regional championship? I am thinking that if Rock can get their skill positions on track, they could be back on the carpet again this year. Their line is phenomenally large, strong and experienced. Could you imagine having Regan at TB and Anderkin at QB with this line? OMG!!! :scared:

Sounds like pretty reliable sources, I apologize for coming off so harshly but with reason you can understand that in lifting threads numbers tend to get exaggerated and thats quite a feat for a young man, nonetheless its been achieved with some hardwork and a good workout plan. However, at the college level we do not condone squatting over 600 for it is very bad for the back at that amount, I would believe these coaches know when to cut off the weight for their players.

I believe it but it is in no way easily attained. I played at a Divison 1aa college and we only had 3 or 4 the whole time I was there that could squat 600 hundred or more. congratulations to these kids and keep up the good work let me know when you can get 700 that is my personal best. But I was 21 years old.

This week we were doing maxes on bench,cleans, and deadlift...and Tyler Jones got 295 on bench and 300 halfway up...i saw him do it

He's just going to be a junior isn't he? I expect to see good things from this young man.

However, at the college level we do not condone squatting over 600 for it is very bad for the back at that amount, I would believe these coaches know when to cut off the weight for their players.

I saw in UK's media guide last year that the top lift on the squat was by Jason Leger from Rockcastle County, it was over 660.:confused:

I know this will start a fire storm, but it still amazes me that a board of education would allow weight lifting to be a course offered as part of the school day. I know and have heard all the responses and justifications for it and I'm sorry, I'm just not buying them. These kids should be taking spanish, more math, more english, literature, computers ect, any elective that will help them prepare for college. Not weight lifting. Sorry to offend, but that's just how I feel.

I know this will start a fire storm, but it still amazes me that a board of education would allow weight lifting to be a course offered as part of the school day. I know and have heard all the responses and justifications for it and I'm sorry, I'm just not buying them. These kids should be taking spanish, more math, more english, literature, computers ect, any elective that will help them prepare for college. Not weight lifting. Sorry to offend, but that's just how I feel.

Most schools/programs across the country now offer weightlifting/Advanced PE classes for strength and conditioning. I think it is great for rural schools with limited transportation after school to get kids to and from practices and weightlifting sessions. Some kids do not weight lift after school because they will not have a ride home if they do so. This class offers them a chance to train during the school day and relieves some of the transportation issues. Some schools in Ohio and other states are even hiring certified strength and conditioning coaches to teach a full load of weightlifting classes during the school day. Most of the schools I know about only offer one period of weightlifting but there are many schools starting to offer it 5 to 6 periods a day in order to accomodate all the athletes in all sports. I think everything is tied in together, Athletics, Academics and school morale. Generally if the sports programs are winning there is a better atmosphere in the school and the academics seem to improve with the success the kids are having in their extracurricular activities. I think this type of class is a positive thing and hope more schools began to offer it.

The fitness industry is a multi-billion dollar affair in our country now which makes this feild just as important as others in our country, if you are a school that offers career clusters or electives the wieghlifting or advanced fitness classes are completely beneficial and tied into the curriculum, and should be offered as an alternative to the old dodgeball 101 PE class that the state requires. If done correctly meaning the students do learn vocabulary, in the fitness feild and nutrition and muscle anatomony I see no reason why it is not a good idea to have in schools. As far as more math, more english etc. I agree if that is what you will use in the future, not many kids will be writing poems, short stories or 3 page algebra problems after high school.

Most schools/programs across the country now offer weightlifting/Advanced PE classes for strength and conditioning. I think it is great for rural schools with limited transportation after school to get kids to and from practices and weightlifting sessions. Some kids do not weight lift after school because they will not have a ride home if they do so. This class offers them a chance to train during the school day and relieves some of the transportation issues. Some schools in Ohio and other states are even hiring certified strength and conditioning coaches to teach a full load of weightlifting classes during the school day. Most of the schools I know about only offer one period of weightlifting but there are many schools starting to offer it 5 to 6 periods a day in order to accomodate all the athletes in all sports. I think everything is tied in together, Athletics, Academics and school morale. Generally if the sports programs are winning there is a better atmosphere in the school and the academics seem to improve with the success the kids are having in their extracurricular activities. I think this type of class is a positive thing and hope more schools began to offer it.

I agree that athletics is critical to the morale of a school. No argument there. But I'll stick by my belief that weights are better left for after school and these kids need to be getting better educated for an economy that is becoming more and more sophisticated and technical. I'd love to know the percentage of driving age kids at the rural schools that don't drive or couldn't get a ride home after weights. What do they do after football practice? Walk home? What do they do on the M, W and F that they currently lift after school? Walk home? I'm sorry, but while I understand the value of athletics, I just cannot buy the argument that we need to lift during school because of transportation issues. Heck, you should have football practice during school also if transportation issues are your justification.

The fitness industry is a multi-billion dollar affair in our country now which makes this feild just as important as others in our country, if you are a school that offers career clusters or electives the wieghlifting or advanced fitness classes are completely beneficial and tied into the curriculum, and should be offered as an alternative to the old dodgeball 101 PE class that the state requires. If done correctly meaning the students do learn vocabulary, in the fitness feild and nutrition and muscle anatomony I see no reason why it is not a good idea to have in schools. As far as more math, more english etc. I agree if that is what you will use in the future, not many kids will be writing poems, short stories or 3 page algebra problems after high school.

In re your last sentence, I think its more important to remember that not many kids will be lifting weights or acting as personal trainers after high school to support their families. And unless they are happy working in the coal mines, working at Burger King or being laid off from some low tech manufacturing plant that is being shut down because the jobs are being sent to China or India where the workers are happy to work for $3 a day, parents and students better wake up and wake up quick. Keep your nose in the math, science and reading books and go to college or some advanced technical college, or be ready to stay poor and looking for the next state handout. The days of making a good living and being able to support a family doing unskilled manufacturing are dead and won't come back. Ever. Its real simple now. Get smart, get educated or get in the unemployment line. The fact that schools in Ohio are doing something is not justification for us doing it. Trust me, my guess is the OHSAA is not meeting this morning saying we need to put limitations in place dealing with private vs public issues because the KHSAA is doing it.