Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Strongest Players

Featured Replies

Leslie Co. maxxed out Tuesday, didn't get alot of the squat numbers, heres some notable numbers:

 

Bryan Hubbard benched 275 (5'9 175? cb/wr)

James Mosley benched 325 (OL/DL)

7 Lineman over 250 in bench

Ryan Howard inclined 265 and squatted 505 (5'8 180? HB/LB/QB/DB)

 

Hubbard and Howard have always impressed me. This is very impressive for the 2 'little guys' for the Eagles. (Little only in stature, not in athletic ability. They are both outstanding and could play for me anyday!)

  • Replies 194
  • Views 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a list of Holmes strongest players for each lift

 

Squat- Mike Sharp (605..new record at Holmes)

Bench- Tommy Britton (330)

Power Clean- Thomas Benton (285)

Dead Lift- Several players over 500

Sam Flynn for Cov Cath has shown some power.

Bench- 305+

Clean- 235+

Squat- 405+

^^not maxs^^

Benching with an arc is incorrect and can cause back damage, as for squats with todays technology i am still amazed all these educated strenght trainers cannot find other forms of exercise that will provide the same results. It is wrong to put the human spine under such pressure. Lets get into the 21st century and quit using these Max #'s to prove their worth.:thumb:

Plain and simple if you dont want to do squats dont play football.

Plain and simple if you dont want to do squats dont play football.

 

Totally agree you need to experience a little of pain to appreciate what you got out of weight training:ylsuper:

Mike sharp of Holmes may be one of the strongest o lineman in nky next year..kid squats 605 and benches 300 +...also has a nice frame, about 6'2 230

I appreciate the advise, but I think I'm looking at the real world out of my office window right now. Still waiting for one of my clients to ask me about what I bench press or squat, but I do regularly use and need my english, math and reading skills in dealing with them. But again, thanks for your advise. I'm sure it was well intended.

 

I have sit here and watched you write all of this foolish that I can handle. Just because you are sitting behind some desk somewhere waiting on your "CLIENT" does not make you better than the rest of us. I am one of the people that you are talking about, as I teach the classes that you are talking about. I have a master degree in exercise physiology and are continually studying fitness.

 

There is more to this class than just lifting weights, we teach plyometrics, several locomotor movements, both fine and gross, hand eye and foot eye coordination, flexibility drills, cardio drills and mental toughness. We have test, we research several different fitness concepts, and pick a position and defend it. We also write a portfolio in this class. There is a section on the CATS test for Health/Physical Education.

 

We are not taking anything away from other classes. They are getting all of thier math, science, english, etc. Even those that want are being able to take CP courses. I do not know what school you are with, so I do not know your CATS score, but Pikeville Ind. has in school weight and they are one of the top 5 CATS scores every year and also thier acedmic team is the class A state champions.

 

Yes there is alot of athletes in this class, but there are other students also.

The class gives the athletes that have trouble getting home after school a chance to lift weights and also kids that play several diiferent sports a chance to lift without missing thier other practices.

 

Not every student is meant to look "out your window" some students have alot of problems that you and the math teacher know nothing about, but I do and I help those kids everyday. If it was not for atheltics and weight class some of these kids would not even come to school, they would be breaking into your house while you are "looking out your window while waiting for your client". You should see the number of e-mails I get from 9th teachers in the begining of the school year to see if I can do something with little Jimmy in thier class.

 

I thought you were highly eduacted, but I am begining to wonder because someone that was would not get on here and write about something that they know nothing about!!! :madman:

Plain and simple if you dont want to do squats dont play football.

Plain and simple you dont have to do squats to play football!

Plain and simple you dont have to do squats to play football!

You do if you want to be any good at it.

I have sit here and watched you write all of this foolish that I can handle. Just because you are sitting behind some desk somewhere waiting on your "CLIENT" does not make you better than the rest of us. I am one of the people that you are talking about, as I teach the classes that you are talking about. I have a master degree in exercise physiology and are continually studying fitness.

 

There is more to this class than just lifting weights, we teach plyometrics, several locomotor movements, both fine and gross, hand eye and foot eye coordination, flexibility drills, cardio drills and mental toughness. We have test, we research several different fitness concepts, and pick a position and defend it. We also write a portfolio in this class. There is a section on the CATS test for Health/Physical Education.

 

We are not taking anything away from other classes. They are getting all of thier math, science, english, etc. Even those that want are being able to take CP courses. I do not know what school you are with, so I do not know your CATS score, but Pikeville Ind. has in school weight and they are one of the top 5 CATS scores every year and also thier acedmic team is the class A state champions.

 

Yes there is alot of athletes in this class, but there are other students also.

The class gives the athletes that have trouble getting home after school a chance to lift weights and also kids that play several diiferent sports a chance to lift without missing thier other practices.

 

Not every student is meant to look "out your window" some students have alot of problems that you and the math teacher know nothing about, but I do and I help those kids everyday. If it was not for atheltics and weight class some of these kids would not even come to school, they would be breaking into your house while you are "looking out your window while waiting for your client". You should see the number of e-mails I get from 9th teachers in the begining of the school year to see if I can do something with little Jimmy in thier class.

 

I thought you were highly eduacted, but I am begining to wonder because someone that was would not get on here and write about something that they know nothing about!!! :madman:

 

I hope you feel better. I certainly do not think I am better than anyone else; certainly not because I am an attorney that's for sure. I am glad that you are having a positive influence on some children's lives. I am very disappointed to learn that some of your students would not come to school but for a weight class and for the record I've never questioned the importance of athletics and the role that athletics plays in molding young men and women. Quite the contrary, I feel athletics is critically important to academics. I have indeed questioned the propriety and need for weight lifting classes during the school hour,when it should be done after school. If a kid can find transportation home after he/she gets done with practice, I have to believe he/she could find a way home after weight lifting. If a kid has time for weights during school, then they should take pass on the weights and take another class to better prepare them for their job after graduation or to prepare them for college. If we were doing better preparing our high school students for their jobs after graduation or to go to college, I'd agree with you, but as I will discuss below, that's not the current case in most of Kentucky. Pikeville is a very good school and I am well aware of such. I graduated from Highlands and my sons go there now since you asked. As you are someone who teaches such classes I would expect you to strongly defend the class you teach. Make sense you would feel the way you do and I understand your perspective.

 

Likewise, I hope you understand my perspective. As a corporate attorney who regularly deals with companies needing to employ qualified employees and as a board member of an agency tasked with recruiting new businesses to Northern Kentucky and encouraging existing businesses to expand, I am continually confronted with the rather disappointing status of kids graduating from high school these days. Their math and reading skills are atrocious to put it mildly. Its not something that's unique to N. Ky either. In fact several of my corporate clients have considered relocating some of their manufacturing operations to eastern Kentucky to take advantage of some state incentives available in that region, as well as to try to reduce their labor costs. Unfortunately, because of what they considered to be a lack of qualified labor pool they have not chosen eastern Kentucky. If you doubt what I say, ask some of your local Chamber of Commerce types.

 

Businesses now have to spend considerable money training employees so they can just start working in their plants. In order for American manufacturing businesses to be able to compete with overseas businesses that pay dollars a day to their employees, American businesses must be super efficient, which generally means being able to use the most technical manufacturing equipment. This requires a knowledge of math. It requires being able to read technical manuals.

 

And for those kids going to college, universities spend way to much time teaching kids stuff they should have learned in high school just so they can start basic college classes. Sorry to have to say it, but our high schools just aren't getting it done to the degree needed and its having a detrimental effect on our economy in this state. And I'm sorry if I don't think a weight class, even one that seems to be ran as well as yours, is going to help get it done for a majority of the students. And that's what I see looking out my office window at the real world that I was accused of not living in. I live in the real world every day and its the world these high school students are going to be living in real soon and we better prepare them for it. I am glad you place such emphasis on what you teach. Health, nutrition, and the benefits of exercise need to be taught to kids, but should it be taught in school or should it be taught by these kids parents at home? Is this just another one of those things that we are saddling our schools with taking care of because the parents aren't doing it at home?

 

If Pikeville Ind. is turning out students ready to go get decent paying jobs or to go to college (not the top 15%, but 95% of the graduating students) then I would think it should by all means continue on with its in school weight lifting classes. But if not, perhaps that school time would be better spent on preparing them for their lives work after graduation or for college. And that's just my opinion based on my perspectives and experiences. Is it absolutely correct for all school systems? Of course not. I realize that. But its still how I look at the issue.

If Pikeville Ind. is turning out students ready to go get decent paying jobs or to go to college (not the top 15%, but 95% of the graduating students) then I would think it should by all means continue on with its in school weight lifting classes.

 

I seemed to get a hidden implication from this line that maybe PHS's high ranking academically might be seen as skewed by some that think our school does well ONLY because we have a very small percentage of very high-achieving students (a typical prejudicial response by those out in the state toward anything good coming out of Eastern Kentucky I'm coming to figure out).

 

But thought some actual FACTS from the state's required "District Report Card" might help some see that Pikeville has a little more going for it than drinking RC's and eatin' Moon Pies.

 

Transition to Adult Life Pikeville HS (State Avg. in parentheses)

College PHS: 84% (state: 57%)

Work + Part-time School PHS: 8% (state: 6.4%)

Work PHS: 4% (state: 27.5%)

Voc/Tech Training PHS: 1.3% (state: 4.8%)

Military PHS: 1.3% (state: 2.6%)

Not Successful PHS: 1.3% (state: 4%)

 

I'm sure nowhere NEARLY as impressive as those who "eat cake" all their lives, but not too shabby for a bunch of hillbillies dontcha think!

 

** And, using the previous logic, does this mean it's OKAY for us to have in-school weightlifting!!!?? :banana:

I seemed to get a hidden implication from this line that maybe PHS's high ranking academically might be seen as skewed by some that think our school does well ONLY because we have a very small percentage of very high-achieving students (a typical prejudicial response by those out in the state toward anything good coming out of Eastern Kentucky I'm coming to figure out).

 

But thought some actual FACTS from the state's required "District Report Card" might help some see that Pikeville has a little more going for it than drinking RC's and eatin' Moon Pies.

 

Transition to Adult Life Pikeville HS (State Avg. in parentheses)

College PHS: 84% (state: 57%)

Work + Part-time School PHS: 8% (state: 6.4%)

Work PHS: 4% (state: 27.5%)

Voc/Tech Training PHS: 1.3% (state: 4.8%)

Military PHS: 1.3% (state: 2.6%)

Not Successful PHS: 1.3% (state: 4%)

 

I'm sure nowhere NEARLY as impressive as those who "eat cake" all their lives, but not too shabby for a bunch of hillbillies dontcha think!

 

** And, using the previous logic, does this mean it's OKAY for us to have in-school weightlifting!!!?? :banana:

GIT EM COACH!!!!!!!!:flame:By the way this Pikeville boy prefers Dr. Pepper and Little Debbie (with the occasional marlboro of course)LOL!!!!

Plain and simple you dont have to do squats to play football!

On second thought, maybe youre right. Lets all trade our squat racks for yoga mats and spend time in the weight room stretching and lifting the spirit and lets see how far that gets these boys in the 4th quarter. :rolleyes:

GIT EM COACH!!!!!!!!:flame:

Isnt that ironic, Im a Pikeville alumnist agreeing with Coach J about how good our school system is and I mispell "GET".:laugh: Oh well I guess if I hadnt had weight lifting class I could have learned better.:rolleyes:

I seemed to get a hidden implication from this line that maybe PHS's high ranking academically might be seen as skewed by some that think our school does well ONLY because we have a very small percentage of very high-achieving students (a typical prejudicial response by those out in the state toward anything good coming out of Eastern Kentucky I'm coming to figure out).

 

But thought some actual FACTS from the state's required "District Report Card" might help some see that Pikeville has a little more going for it than drinking RC's and eatin' Moon Pies.

 

Transition to Adult Life Pikeville HS (State Avg. in parentheses)

College PHS: 84% (state: 57%)

Work + Part-time School PHS: 8% (state: 6.4%)

Work PHS: 4% (state: 27.5%)

Voc/Tech Training PHS: 1.3% (state: 4.8%)

Military PHS: 1.3% (state: 2.6%)

Not Successful PHS: 1.3% (state: 4%)

 

I'm sure nowhere NEARLY as impressive as those who "eat cake" all their lives, but not too shabby for a bunch of hillbillies dontcha think!

 

** And, using the previous logic, does this mean it's OKAY for us to have in-school weightlifting!!!?? :banana:

 

CoachJ, you have just prejudged me entirely and in error I might add. I do find it ironic that it is seemingly offensive to Eastern Kentuckians for people in other parts of the state to have "stereotypical" images of Eastern Kentucky and yet Eastern Kentuckians have stereotypical images of other areas. I graduated from Highlands and you presume I grew up wealthy and ate cake all my life. Sorry Coach, nothing could be further from the truth. Middle class at best. Worked my way through Centre at the chow hall and the library. Worked full time to put myself through lawschool. School loans out the...well lots of them. My upbringing was not close to your sterotype of me.

 

And no that was not what I was implying about the percentage. If PHS is doing as well as the report card indicates, and I have no reason to think to the contrary, I have no problem with the weight lifting class during school hours because they are getting it done. As you will read in my long winded post I stated as much about schools in general. But PHS is not the norm in the state and you and I know it. Your report card makes it clear to all. Now, let me ask you a question: do you think other schools who are not doing near as well academically as PHS should be using valuable school time for weight lifting?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.