Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Strongest Players

Featured Replies

Strength is a very important Role in Football and can really give a team the upper hand. However they are some disadvantges to Weight lifting. If these weights that are being done in correctly it can destroy a Player.

Yes I believe that they are some very strong athletes in the Mountains but when you say a player can Squat 500 Bench 400 and so on, can u say that with them doining it the proper way. I myself consider a squat, tp be paralle with no Box. And Bench must be done with the back on the bench. Getting the weight up any way you can is not a good way to judge strength. If a kid is doing that kinda of weight the right way then he is a Strong Athlete

 

What do you think about Benching with an Arc or Box Squats.

Benching with an arc is incorrect and can cause back damage, as for squats with todays technology i am still amazed all these educated strenght trainers cannot find other forms of exercise that will provide the same results. It is wrong to put the human spine under such pressure. Lets get into the 21st century and quit using these Max #'s to prove their worth.:thumb:

  • Replies 194
  • Views 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for squats with todays technology i am still amazed all these educated strenght trainers cannot find other forms of exercise that will provide the same results. It is wrong to put the human spine under such pressure.

 

What kind of "pressure" do you think the game of FOOTBALL puts on the spine? (force applied diagonally downward by the opponent on the shoulders, counter-force applied diagonally upward by the ground; and no "machine" balancing the forces out)

 

If the FIRST time a young athlete encounters those opposing forces is on the football field, SOMETHING is going to "give."

 

Strength training (the kind done under GOOD, professional supervision looking for near-perfect form) is as much about INJURY-PREVENTION as it is strength-building.

I've seen a few 500 lb squats but the 600 is bit hard to believe, and to have that many good squatters ashland needs to be winning some state championships or running for about 1,000 yards an outting.

 

I agree, I just dont see a High School kid lifting 600 pounds.

I've seen a few 500 lb squats but the 600 is bit hard to believe, and to have that many good squatters ashland needs to be winning some state championships or running for about 1,000 yards an outting.

 

I agree, I just dont see a High School kid lifting 600 pounds.

 

 

There is an echo on this thread.

And unfortunately for those kids that are lifting those weights, their accomplishments are doubted. If you would see the high school kid in question of lifting 600 lbs.( I believe last years program lists him at 6'2, 310#)then you might reconsider your thoughts.

May i ask what Schools, do allow Arc during Bench Reps. And which Schools do not. I am the first to say that I know a few schools that do and even a College or too.

What kind of "pressure" do you think the game of FOOTBALL puts on the spine? (force applied diagonally downward by the opponent on the shoulders, counter-force applied diagonally upward by the ground; and no "machine" balancing the forces out)

 

If the FIRST time a young athlete encounters those opposing forces is on the football field, SOMETHING is going to "give."

 

Strength training (the kind done under GOOD, professional supervision looking for near-perfect form) is as much about INJURY-PREVENTION as it is strength-building.

 

Amen!

First – I would like to say thank you to all of the Ashland posters that added their eye witness accounts to support my original post.

 

Second – Ashland got new, state of the art, weight room equipment last spring and we have top-notch strength coaches. The team seems to be using it well. I’m sure that our sponsors will be pleased.

 

I originally thought a 600 pound squat was quite an accomplishment. But, due to the surprised reaction to my first post I’m even more convinced of how rare this must be. In fact I think it is worth repeating.

 

Ashland’s top three Squat maxes were:

 

Walters - 600

Gallaher - 535

Davis – 515

 

 

Congratulations guys – you seem to be raising some eyebrows – as well as the bar!

 

Graybeard

First – I would like to say thank you to all of the Ashland posters that added their eye witness accounts to support my original post.

 

Second – Ashland got new, state of the art, weight room equipment last spring and we have top-notch strength coaches. The team seems to be using it well. I’m sure that our sponsors will be pleased.

 

I originally thought a 600 pound squat was quite an accomplishment. But, due to the surprised reaction to my first post I’m even more convinced of how rare this must be. In fact I think it is worth repeating.

 

Ashland’s top three Squat maxes were:

 

Walters - 600

Gallaher - 535

Davis – 515

 

 

Congratulations guys – you seem to be raising some eyebrows – as well as the bar!

 

Graybeard

 

Agreed that these guys have worked very, very hard to reach these good numbers. Congrats guys. You know youve done somthing well when there are those that dont even believe that youve done it.:dancingpa

What kind of "pressure" do you think the game of FOOTBALL puts on the spine? (force applied diagonally downward by the opponent on the shoulders, counter-force applied diagonally upward by the ground; and no "machine" balancing the forces out)

 

If the FIRST time a young athlete encounters those opposing forces is on the football field, SOMETHING is going to "give."

 

Strength training (the kind done under GOOD, professional supervision looking for near-perfect form) is as much about INJURY-PREVENTION as it is strength-building.

Strength training i agree. NOt 500 to 600lb SQUATS. Like i said. (Lets get into the 21st Century.)

Football Fever: I have to agree with CoachJ. Strength training is as much about injury prevention as anything else. Injury prevention (and this type of training) certainly has a place in the 21st century - and will always have a place in football.

Strength training i agree. NOt 500 to 600lb SQUATS. Like i said. (Lets get into the 21st Century.)

 

The stronger they are, the more force they exert in games. If you tell a kid that's strong enough to squat 600 to only work out as if he can do 400, then he gets into a game and exerts all the force he's capable of, his knee, ankle, and hip joints won't have had the kind of TRAINING they need to handle the force applied.

 

There's nothing "barbaric" about it as you suggest. Why is it that doing good old fashioned hard work NOT on fancy machines is considered "antiquated?"

 

Give me my team trained on free weights, going to maximum INTENSITY (which can be done in many ways OTHER THAN a "one-rep max") vs. anybody else's team trained on "21st-Century Machine weights" anyday.

The stronger they are, the more force they exert in games. If you tell a kid that's strong enough to squat 600 to only work out as if he can do 400, then he gets into a game and exerts all the force he's capable of, his knee, ankle, and hip joints won't have had the kind of TRAINING they need to handle the force applied.

 

There's nothing "barbaric" about it as you suggest. Why is it that doing good old fashioned hard work NOT on fancy machines is considered "antiquated?"

 

Give me my team trained on free weights, going to maximum INTENSITY (which can be done in many ways OTHER THAN a "one-rep max") vs. anybody else's team trained on "21st-Century Machine weights" anyday.

 

 

I agree Coach J, and know that the numbers on these Ashland players are true and good, but with the reactions of some I now realize that these players are truly utilizing there offseason talents in a good way.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.