Strongest Players

SkinsLB22

Like I said, I doubted my opinion would be very popular.

I realize its open to students other than just football players and that students other than just football players do participate it in. Heck what normal kid wouldn't rather lift weight than take another year of spanish, algebra, physics etc.

I personally don't believe there should be any pe in school, although that puts me at odds with some legislators and health advocates. If a kid hasn't heard enough about nutrition and the need for exercise by the time he or she is in high school, his or her parents have been neglectful. But then again, we constantly load more and more non-academic material onto the school system that the parents fail to provide and then wonder why our math and science scores fall further and further behind other countries. We're too busy at school using school time to learn how to dead lift or learning that fatty foods are bad for us to worry about trivial stuff like more math, science, reading and computer technology. Folks, our kids are way behind in those subjects when compared with our global competitors and people just don't want to admit it. One of these days adults are going to wake up and realize that our kids will take education seriously when we start doing so. I'm sure that some of you do, but the unfortunate truth is that a large majority of parents don't place any or enough emphasis on the need for a solid high school education and to me permitting weight lifting sends the wrong message. Not trying to offend and realize that I am in the minority here.

And Graybeard, I am truly impressed by your son's accomplishments. You should be and undoubtedly are very proud of him. And if the majority of high schools students were like him I'd feel a lot better about weight lifting during school time, but I'm speculating that such is not the case around the Commonwealth. And if I'm wrong, someone needs to tell the folks doing all those studies that rate our education system as one of the lowest in the country.

I fully understand the argument that weight lifting is better than playing dodgeball, tumbling etc. However, there is just something about the message of weight lifting during school that I just can't get past. I'm glad it works well for all of you that support it but I'd just have a hard time believing that the Ft. Thomas School Board would ever go along with it.

Leatherneck, I do understand what you are trying to say. If this class were substituted for the math or science class , I probably would not be for it either. However , the school system does require a p.e. class and this advanced conditioning class is not in addition to another p.e. class but rather takes its place. I do know that our country's math and science scores are lower than need be, but to solve that problem we need to work it out with our math and science teachers, and our parents. I want my children to be well rounded mentally as well as physically. I try to stress that the importance of academics will affect 99% of the kids in high school much more than athletics so I push them to be honor students and try to help them when and if needed. I'm in favor of the advanced academics classes and if a student can excell physically then so much the better.

So if our students are required to take a p.e. class then why not push them in this subject as well. I think they will be a much better person for it.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leatherneck, I do understand what you are trying to say. If this class were substituted for the math or science class , I probably would not be for it either. However , the school system does require a p.e. class and this advanced conditioning class is not in addition to another p.e. class but rather takes its place. I do know that our country's math and science scores are lower than need be, but to solve that problem we need to work it out with our math and science teachers, and our parents. I want my children to be well rounded mentally as well as physically. I try to stress that the importance of academics will affect 99% of the kids in high school much more than athletics so I push them to be honor students and try to help them when and if needed. I'm in favor of the advanced academics classes and if a student can excell physically then so much the better.

So if our students are required to take a p.e. class then why not push them in this subject as well. I think they will be a much better person for it.

I've struggled all day to fiigure out why I am opposed to the weight lifting/advanced conditioning or whatever it is caused, as I fully understand that pe is required in our schools (again, which I totally disagree with. Because parents allow kids to eat junk all the time, we have to take precious school time and devote it to trying to undo the parents' failures. PE was fine in the school system years ago, but the changing world and economy now demands much more from our high schools than was demanded just 10 years ago and we better wake up to it and fast or all my corporate clients will be in Asia). And I understand your logic that if there has to be pe, why not weight lifting/advanced conditioning? The only thing I can think of is that for some reason I just can't get past the fact its weight lifting and that's something that should be done on personal time. Its a hobby if you will that shouldn't be done during school hours. I know I'm not expressing my point clear and that's because its not clear in my mind. Dodgeball might be a waste of time totally, but getting better at playing dodgeball is not what school is about. With the emphasis on weight lifting, I'm afraid that in some schools that's what the kids will put more emphasis on and that simply concerns me.

I've struggled all day to fiigure out why I am opposed to the weight lifting/advanced conditioning or whatever it is caused, as I fully understand that pe is required in our schools (again, which I totally disagree with. Because parents allow kids to eat junk all the time, we have to take precious school time and devote it to trying to undo the parents' failures. PE was fine in the school system years ago, but the changing world and economy now demands much more from our high schools than was demanded just 10 years ago and we better wake up to it and fast or all my corporate clients will be in Asia). And I understand your logic that if there has to be pe, why not weight lifting/advanced conditioning? The only thing I can think of is that for some reason I just can't get past the fact its weight lifting and that's something that should be done on personal time. Its a hobby if you will that shouldn't be done during school hours. I know I'm not expressing my point clear and that's because its not clear in my mind. Dodgeball might be a waste of time totally, but getting better at playing dodgeball is not what school is about. With the emphasis on weight lifting, I'm afraid that in some schools that's what the kids will put more emphasis on and that simply concerns me.

:thumb:

Leatherneck: I’ve certainly enjoyed your posts. Thank you for the thought provoking commentary. I think I understand your point. I agree that we as a nation have to get better at math and science to stay competitive. But, advanced conditioning at Ashland does not take the place of these classes. My oldest son took accelerated (or advance placement) physics, chemistry, and calculus – as well as advanced conditioning. He took all of the hardest math and science classes that were offered. He also enjoyed the benefits of weight lifting – he is strong and fit.

Physical fitness is the biggest failure in my life and it was important for me to see this corrected in my sons’ lives. I appreciate the passion for fitness that this class has instilled in them. I think there is room for both strong academics and a strong body. But, I agree that parents have to make academics come first.

That’s really all I have to say on this subject, so I won’t post again.

Thanks again for the stimulating discussion. I don’t think that we really see things that much differently.

Graybeard

Leatherneck: I’ve certainly enjoyed your posts. Thank you for the thought provoking commentary. I think I understand your point. I agree that we as a nation have to get better at math and science to stay competitive. But, advanced conditioning at Ashland does not take the place of these classes. My oldest son took accelerated (or advance placement) physics, chemistry, and calculus – as well as advanced conditioning. He took all of the hardest math and science classes that were offered. He also enjoyed the benefits of weight lifting – he is strong and fit.

Physical fitness is the biggest failure in my life and it was important for me to see this corrected in my sons’ lives. I appreciate the passion for fitness that this class has instilled in them. I think there is room for both strong academics and a strong body. But, I agree that parents have to make academics come first.

That’s really all I have to say on this subject, so I won’t post again.

Thanks again for the stimulating discussion. I don’t think that we really see things that much differently.

Graybeard

Ditto :thumb:

I know this will start a fire storm, but it still amazes me that a board of education would allow weight lifting to be a course offered as part of the school day. I know and have heard all the responses and justifications for it and I'm sorry, I'm just not buying them. These kids should be taking spanish, more math, more english, literature, computers ect, any elective that will help them prepare for college. Not weight lifting. Sorry to offend, but that's just how I feel.

Get into the real world.

So your saying it's okay for a kid to take PE and play dodgeball and get a cardio workout, but it's not okay for a kid to take PE and lift weights and do agility and speed drills???? Have you ever done a 20 rep squat set with 75% of your one rep max? If that's not more taxing then 50 minutes of Dodgeball I don't know what is. Or how about a 10 minute plyometric circuit that generates over 100 jumps and tightens the core (abs)? I don't see where a game of dodgeball does any better for the health of the student than some of the exercises I just listed. I can guarantee to you that some of the things these coaches are doing in the weightlifting classes will exceed what the kids are doing in a general P.E. class.

A 20 rep squat that is 75% of your max is unheard of.:confused:

I was just throwing some numbers out there for you guys, just trying to make an example that high rep squats were a better workout than 50 minutes of dodgeball.

However in light of the question, there are several college and h.s programs who follow a H.I.T. philosophy or High Intensity Training program. In this type of program, an athlete would do one set of an exercise for as many reps as possible,using as much weight as possible. During that one set, a rest/pause method could be used where the athlete would rest the weight as long as possible to recover and then do another rep. I have seen several types of this style of training at Michigan, Michigan St. and other programs. The athlete in this style of program would just do one set for that particular exercise.

So to give you a better description of what I'm talking about read this:

An athlete who maxes 400lbs on squat for 1 rep, would load the bar with 300lbs or 75% and then do that weight as many times as possible without coming out from under the bar. The athlete could pause, stand there, or do some heavy breathing to recuperate between reps but would never come out from under the bar until they reach 20 reps or failure, whichever comes first. Mike Mentzer and Dorian Yates who were professional bodybuilders first made this type of training popular. Many football strength programs have copied it because it provides good gains in strength, size, and anaerobic conditioning.

Could that 20 rep squat mean total number of reps in all sets?

I know at 75% of their maxes at Ashland they do 5 sets of 5.

65% 6 of 5

75% 5 of 5

80% 5 of 4

85% 5 of 3

90% 3 of 3

95% 3 of 1

That gets up there when you have some big numbers on your maxes.

When I said easily attainable, I was not meaning that you could just lay around and do very little, and achieve your goal. When I said that, I meant if you really set your goals, and with a good program, you could reach those goals. The numbers were just an example of how we reached our goals that year.

Newport just maxed out on some lifts recently and a couple of notable numbers were:

Jr to be Devin Boxx: Bench 315

Sr to be Curtis Marshall: Squat 515

Those two are the highest numbers Newport has had in a while on those lifts. Coach Schlarman has the guys on a great program it seems and they are all getting stronger.

Leslie Co. maxxed out Tuesday, didn't get alot of the squat numbers, heres some notable numbers:

Bryan Hubbard benched 275 (5'9 175? cb/wr)

James Mosley benched 325 (OL/DL)

7 Lineman over 250 in bench

Ryan Howard inclined 265 and squatted 505 (5'8 180? HB/LB/QB/DB)

Get into the real world.

I appreciate the advise, but I think I'm looking at the real world out of my office window right now. Still waiting for one of my clients to ask me about what I bench press or squat, but I do regularly use and need my english, math and reading skills in dealing with them. But again, thanks for your advise. I'm sure it was well intended.