Strongest Players

SkinsLB22

I agree that athletics is critical to the morale of a school. No argument there. But I'll stick by my belief that weights are better left for after school and these kids need to be getting better educated for an economy that is becoming more and more sophisticated and technical. I'd love to know the percentage of driving age kids at the rural schools that don't drive or couldn't get a ride home after weights. What do they do after football practice? Walk home? What do they do on the M, W and F that they currently lift after school? Walk home? I'm sorry, but while I understand the value of athletics, I just cannot buy the argument that we need to lift during school because of transportation issues. Heck, you should have football practice during school also if transportation issues are your justification.

I agree that the math, science,et. all courses are very important, but I also agree that physical education plays an important role in the development of our youth. You mean to tell me that it's ok for these kids to have dodgeball, softball or tumbling in class which I believe that physical education is a required course in high school, but they shouldn't substitute a more advanced class in its place. We allow the more advanced classes to be substituted for the math, sciences and all the others so why not advanced conditioning for those that could excell at that. To think that these advanced conditioning classes are taking the place of some of the other classes is wrong, at least at Ashland anyway. And if I'm not mistaken , Ashland had 40 plus players in football that made the honor roll, so it appears this class is not taking away from the others.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the math, science,et. all courses are very important, but I also agree that physical education plays an important role in the development of our youth. You mean to tell me that it's ok for these kids to have dodgeball, softball or tumbling in class which I believe that physical education is a required course in high school, but they shouldn't substitute a more advanced class in its place. We allow the more advanced classes to be substituted for the math, sciences and all the others so why not advanced conditioning for those that could excell at that. To think that these advanced conditioning classes are taking the place of some of the other classes is wrong, at least at Ashland anyway. And if I'm not mistaken , Ashland had 40 plus players in football that made the honor roll, so it appears this class is not taking away from the others.

Okay. But I believe these weight lifting classes are nothing other than an opportunity to get the football team lifting during school time. And if your pe program is not making better use of its time with the student than that problem should be addressed. Personally, a great cardio workout playing dodgeball would be a smart move. The health dilemna in the states is not caused by kids not being strong enough; its they are too fat, eat poorly and don't get enough cardio exercise (which isn't addressed in weight lifting or if it is, is a minor point and would be better served playing an intense game of dodgeball and in health class). I am happy and glad to read that a lot of the Ashland football players are on the honor role. That is impressive. I hope all of them go to college and are successes.

I've got a ?, how do they grade these type of classes. Does everyone that takes this class get an ' A ' . Does a certain amount of weight lifted get you extra credit? Just curious to hear what grades are given for this class?

I know a lot of schools that have these classes and there are a lot of them across the state and they have quizzes, tests, mid-terms and finals just as all the other classes do. Participation and attendance is another key factor. If a kid that is in this class always sits out, then their letter grade will be dropped. Before you ask what kind of questions would be asked on the tests, etc. I know when I had the class questions such as proper lifting technique, open responses and math realted questions concerning the weight were asked. Also a portfolio is required for this class, so it isn't like they just lift and do nothing else. While in a Utopian world it would be awesome to have all these students go on to college and get degrees, but at a lot of the rural high schools the kids already know what they will be doing. This kind of preparation needs to be addressed in middle, grade school but not high school because by the time a kid reaches 16, it is much harder to teach them new tricks (Spanish, French, Calculus, etc) I'd say around the state the majority of schools have a ton of football players on their honor roll because in most schools, the coaches know that these kids must be eligible and they are sticklers for making good grades.

Okay. But I believe these weight lifting classes are nothing other than an opportunity to get the football team lifting during school time. And if your pe program is not making better use of its time with the student than that problem should be addressed. Personally, a great cardio workout playing dodgeball would be a smart move. The health dilemna in the states is not caused by kids not being strong enough; its they are too fat, eat poorly and don't get enough cardio exercise (which isn't addressed in weight lifting or if it is, is a minor point and would be better served playing an intense game of dodgeball and in health class). I am happy and glad to read that a lot of the Ashland football players are on the honor role. That is impressive. I hope all of them go to college and are successes.

I'm a little confused with your stance on this issue. I do not deny that the football players in these classes benefit from this, but not all football players are in these classes. There are players of other sports. I first thought you felt that this class was interfering with academics class but they are not. I also agree that cardio is just as important as strength conditioning. But I do find it dificult to believe how some of the other subjects ( tumbling, bowling, golf or numerous other subjects coveredin p.e. class ) can be any more beneficial than weight lifting. Granted there may be some cardio benefits from dodgeball, but they don't play dodgeball the entire year. Some of these other subjects are covered, depending on the teachers preferences. The one benefit to students of this advanced class I see is that the players that do get to have do not have to stay after school to lift weights with all of the other players that don't have this class.

As far as the question of how the classes are graded, I cannot tell you how. But the question I have is how are all of these other p.e. classes graded as well. My guess would be effort and ability.

I know this will start a fire storm, but it still amazes me that a board of education would allow weight lifting to be a course offered as part of the school day. I know and have heard all the responses and justifications for it and I'm sorry, I'm just not buying them. These kids should be taking spanish, more math, more english, literature, computers ect, any elective that will help them prepare for college. Not weight lifting. Sorry to offend, but that's just how I feel.

At Ashland-Blazer advanced conditioning (a PE class) is offered as one of many possible classes. They have 7 periods a day and none of them can be used for “study hall”. So, that leaves 6 classes a day to cover the academic subjects.

My oldest son is graduating this year. He has taken many accelerated classes and all the electives he wants. He will have more than the required credits to graduate. He has about a 4.4 GPA, is a Governors’ Scholar, scored well on his ACT and SAT tests, and is receiving academic scholarship offers from colleges. He accomplished all of this and still had time for an advanced conditioning class every year.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. But, I for one don’t see much validity in your argument – at least not in the Ashland school system, or in my son’s experiences.

I’m happy that my son has had this balance of academic and athletic opportunities.

I agree that athletics is critical to the morale of a school. No argument there. But I'll stick by my belief that weights are better left for after school and these kids need to be getting better educated for an economy that is becoming more and more sophisticated and technical. I'd love to know the percentage of driving age kids at the rural schools that don't drive or couldn't get a ride home after weights. What do they do after football practice? Walk home? What do they do on the M, W and F that they currently lift after school? Walk home? I'm sorry, but while I understand the value of athletics, I just cannot buy the argument that we need to lift during school because of transportation issues. Heck, you should have football practice during school also if transportation issues are your justification.

I was not using that as justification, only stating that there a many students in rural settings who do not play athletics AT ALL, because of transportation. Especially when we are in an age where the coach is telling the players that they have to lift in order to play. If they can't lift during school, than most do not play. Therefore this gives them a chance to lift and play. There will always be people for and against this issue. I respect your opinion though.

At Ashland-Blazer advanced conditioning (a PE class) is offered as one of many possible classes. They have 7 periods a day and none of them can be used for “study hall”. So, that leaves 6 classes a day to cover the academic subjects.

My oldest son is graduating this year. He has taken many accelerated classes and all the electives he wants. He will have more than the required credits to graduate. He has about a 4.4 GPA, is a Governors’ Scholar, scored well on his ACT and SAT tests, and is receiving academic scholarship offers from colleges. He accomplished all of this and still had time for an advanced conditioning class every year.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. But, I for one don’t see much validity in your argument – at least not in the Ashland school system, or in my son’s experiences.

I’m happy that my son has had this balance of academic and athletic opportunities.

With wisdom and life's experiences to back them up.

Very good, Greybeard. :thumb:

At Ashland these classes are offered to not only Football Players, but Basketball, Baseball players, Wrestlers, and cheer leaders, and for anyone else who is interested in taking their strenght to a new level. There are Weight Lifting classes after school as well, and you have that choice to go then. And for the guys and girls that need that extra period of the day for educational purposes then it is supported 100% by the Coaching staff, School comes first. But how is this any different than a PE class? Or a shop class? This is simply a class for kids who want to lift. If you like to cook, take Culinary skills.

How many hours a day does your son go to school with him having 7 periods . I know at Highlands the kids have 6 periods. I think they start at 8:10 and are dismissed at 2:40. That leaves about 1 hour a class with 1/2 hr for lunch. It just seems like it would be hard pressed for time for a weight lifting class with an extra class thrown in.

It sounds as if Highlands has a very short school day compared to Franklin County Highschool the first class there starts at 8:00 and the day is done at 3:20 you get 25 minutes for lunch here with Five minute passing times on a 7 period day.That is seven 50 minute classes.

So your saying it's okay for a kid to take PE and play dodgeball and get a cardio workout, but it's not okay for a kid to take PE and lift weights and do agility and speed drills???? Have you ever done a 20 rep squat set with 75% of your one rep max? If that's not more taxing then 50 minutes of Dodgeball I don't know what is. Or how about a 10 minute plyometric circuit that generates over 100 jumps and tightens the core (abs)? I don't see where a game of dodgeball does any better for the health of the student than some of the exercises I just listed. I can guarantee to you that some of the things these coaches are doing in the weightlifting classes will exceed what the kids are doing in a general P.E. class.

So your saying it's okay for a kid to take PE and play dodgeball and get a cardio workout, but it's not okay for a kid to take PE and lift weights and do agility and speed drills???? Have you ever done a 20 rep squat set with 75% of your one rep max? If that's not more taxing then 50 minutes of Dodgeball I don't know what is. Or how about a 10 minute plyometric circuit that generates over 100 jumps and tightens the core (abs)? I don't see where a game of dodgeball does any better for the health of the student than some of the exercises I just listed. I can guarantee to you that some of the things these coaches are doing in the weightlifting classes will exceed what the kids are doing in a general P.E. class.

Hence the name , 'advanced conditioning'. :D

How many hours a day does your son go to school with him having 7 periods . I know at Highlands the kids have 6 periods. I think they start at 8:10 and are dismissed at 2:40. That leaves about 1 hour a class with 1/2 hr for lunch. It just seems like it would be hard pressed for time for a weight lifting class with an extra class thrown in.

I think they go from about 8:00 - 3:20, having 7 periods of 50 minutes each. It looks like we may go about 1 hour more than you everyday.

Like I said, I doubted my opinion would be very popular.

I realize its open to students other than just football players and that students other than just football players do participate it in. Heck what normal kid wouldn't rather lift weight than take another year of spanish, algebra, physics etc.

I personally don't believe there should be any pe in school, although that puts me at odds with some legislators and health advocates. If a kid hasn't heard enough about nutrition and the need for exercise by the time he or she is in high school, his or her parents have been neglectful. But then again, we constantly load more and more non-academic material onto the school system that the parents fail to provide and then wonder why our math and science scores fall further and further behind other countries. We're too busy at school using school time to learn how to dead lift or learning that fatty foods are bad for us to worry about trivial stuff like more math, science, reading and computer technology. Folks, our kids are way behind in those subjects when compared with our global competitors and people just don't want to admit it. One of these days adults are going to wake up and realize that our kids will take education seriously when we start doing so. I'm sure that some of you do, but the unfortunate truth is that a large majority of parents don't place any or enough emphasis on the need for a solid high school education and to me permitting weight lifting sends the wrong message. Not trying to offend and realize that I am in the minority here.

And Graybeard, I am truly impressed by your son's accomplishments. You should be and undoubtedly are very proud of him. And if the majority of high schools students were like him I'd feel a lot better about weight lifting during school time, but I'm speculating that such is not the case around the Commonwealth. And if I'm wrong, someone needs to tell the folks doing all those studies that rate our education system as one of the lowest in the country.

I fully understand the argument that weight lifting is better than playing dodgeball, tumbling etc. However, there is just something about the message of weight lifting during school that I just can't get past. I'm glad it works well for all of you that support it but I'd just have a hard time believing that the Ft. Thomas School Board would ever go along with it.