Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Strongest Players

Featured Replies

Leatherneck - I don't know if you're trying to, but you are coming off pretty elitist. This class is probably not needed at Highlands, but please understand that the rest of KY is not a lot like Ft. Thomas.

 

I'm afraid that the homelife of kids in and around Ft. Thomas may be substantially different than that of some kids from areas out and about in rural Kentucky. Believe it or not, there are kids that DO have to walk home after football practice (several miles). I've witnessed it myself, and since, rides have been arranged for them. There is no way these kids could participate in after school weightlifting.

 

Since you practice law for a living, it should be relatively easy for you to come up with a valid argument why these kids should not be lifting weights and doing conditioning in PE class vs/ playing ping-pong, badminton, or dodgeball. You've been told several times that the Advanced PE classes are not substitued for "Core" curriculum, but for other PE classes and electives.

 

I also know of kids who "stay in school" only for athletics. If it wasn't for athletics, they would drop out tomorrow. Thank goodness for athletics, and having to make grades, it keeps a lot of kids in school.

  • Replies 194
  • Views 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find it ironic that it is seemingly offensive to Eastern Kentuckians for people in other parts of the state to have "stereotypical" images of Eastern Kentucky and yet Eastern Kentuckians have stereotypical images of other areas. I graduated from Highlands and you presume I grew up wealthy and ate cake all my life.

 

Sorry, seems my "cake-eater" comment was taken as having much more vitriol than was intended. I've seen it used so many times as such a mild perjorative on here in the past that those to whom it was directed actually took some measure of joy in being called such -- seemed they sort of relished the sarcasm. For the record, I do not think that all from that very respected (by me, above all) place considers themselves "eaters of cake" in the true sense of the expression.

 

It just seemed to fit in that instance...that is, my reading your previous post as an indictment on PHS having only a SMALL exceptional student-achievement base.

 

CoachJ, you have just prejudged me entirely and in error I might add.

 

Again, sorry if that is the case. But with your background in the law, I'm sure you can see how I would've made the error in prejudgment based on this statement, previously posted by you...

 

(not the top 15%, but 95% of the graduating students)

 

...perhaps I misread your intent; but it's hard to get "intent" on a message board. It seems you insinuated that we are "one of those schools" that boast "high achievement" as a school when it's actually only a small percentage of "doctor's kids" that skew the test results.

 

And I can say this, because I WAS GUILTY OF THIS MYSELF before actually living in this exceptional community. It is without a doubt a special kind of place that I think has to be experienced to be believed.

 

Sorry Coach, nothing could be further from the truth. Middle class at best. Worked my way through Centre at the chow hall and the library. Worked full time to put myself through lawschool. School loans out the...well lots of them. My upbringing was not close to your sterotype of me.

 

You and I are more alike than different (though my toil was in the library and Sutcliffe; tough to study with the sound of racquetballs pinging and echoing...pinging and echoing). And again, please know that I was not stereotyping "you" (or "Highlands people" for that matter) as much as the GENERAL perception out there that I know DOES exist -- thanks to wonderful people like Jerry Springer -- out in the state (this, from people I heard, first-hand who constantly complained about how "their tax money" was just going to "those hicks out in Eastern Kentucky").

 

And no that was not what I was implying about the percentage.

 

Then, I gladly stand corrected. (But still hope you can see where I got the insinuation.)

 

Now, let me ask you a question: do you think other schools who are not doing near as well academically as PHS should be using valuable school time for weight lifting?

 

Now THIS is a good question! Being a Centre grad and a person that cares about the education of our youth in general today as yourself, I would still have to say, yes. BUT, it is important that there be limits on such a thing -- but with the LIMITED amount of a school day these classes take up, I think the limitation is already achieved.

 

I agree with Boucher in that some would not be able to compete at the same level were it not for in-school opportunities due to distance from school or the need (want?) to have a part-time job after school.

 

But further, think of all the two-and-three sport athletes who are learning what may perhaps be the MOST VALUABLE skill any adult -- especially a "CAREER-MINDED" one -- needs: the ability to successfully MULTI-TASK.

 

Our adult lives are ALL ABOUT "multi-tasking." The CEO is probably also a father or mother and a husband or wife, with major responsibilities at home as such. He/she may also be a church-member and serve on several Boards of Directors for civic or other groups. At the same time (what little they have outside of their work and other responsibilities), they must be concerned with maintaining a PHYSICALLY-healthy lifestyle. That takes TIME within an already busy schedule to manage. You have to MAKE TIME. That time might even be DURING THE WORK-DAY (I'll bet there are a lot of your colleagues that take their lunch break to bike, run, or swim).

 

The entire concept of a liberal arts (I hate having to use that term as people might misinterpret it) education has at its core the belief that people benefit most by being educated in a well-rounded manner. The Classical ideal of "mind, body, and spirit" was important enough to Socrates and Aristotle to emphasize; why are those of us that wish to make easier on kids some training that will allow them to become more complete on the "body" part of that equation seen as somehow less caring about a young man or woman's education (the state has already successfully caused us to fracture the equation by deeming the "spirit" as unconstitutional -- but that's a whole other thread topic).

 

Isn't a healthy body still a part of that "Classical" equation?

 

And again, we're not talking about the WHOLE school day or HALF of it. At most, it's 1/6 or 1/7. With the trends UP in OBESITY and the overall poor health and nutrition of our young populace today -- WHICH WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD TO EVEN GREATER INCREASES IN HEALTH CARE COSTS and INSURANCE PREMIUMS on small businesses -- I think a 1/6 or 1/7 emphasis may actually be too low!

 

Look at the overhauls in major corporations that are actually spending precious capital that COULD be used for improvement of other business needs for full-fledged, comprehensive COMPANY FITNESS-CENTERS instead. They're hiring TRAINERS (basically, PE teachers) to help their employees have EASIER ACCESS to a healthy lifestyle. And it's working. 60 Minutesrecently aired a segment demonstrating how cost-effective it was for such corporations to spend capital on fitness.

 

If it's working there, why not in our schools. They ARE all about "training our kids for real life" after all.

 

And above all, I quote the indominable (well, almost) Jack Torrance in The Shining, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." Don't want our students to turn out like that guy, now do we!

Leatherneck - I don't know if you're trying to, but you are coming off pretty elitist. This class is probably not needed at Highlands, but please understand that the rest of KY is not a lot like Ft. Thomas.

 

I'm afraid that the homelife of kids in and around Ft. Thomas may be substantially different than that of some kids from areas out and about in rural Kentucky. Believe it or not, there are kids that DO have to walk home after football practice (several miles). I've witnessed it myself, and since, rides have been arranged for them. There is no way these kids could participate in after school weightlifting.

 

Since you practice law for a living, it should be relatively easy for you to come up with a valid argument why these kids should not be lifting weights and doing conditioning in PE class vs/ playing ping-pong, badminton, or dodgeball. You've been told several times that the Advanced PE classes are not substitued for "Core" curriculum, but for other PE classes and electives.

 

I also know of kids who "stay in school" only for athletics. If it wasn't for athletics, they would drop out tomorrow. Thank goodness for athletics, and having to make grades, it keeps a lot of kids in school.

 

 

Boucher I fully understand that athletics keeps kids in school and have never said anything to the contrary. I place a heavy emphasis on athletics. Lordy, I went to Highlands, a school that supposedly puts such an emphasis on athletics and winning that we supposedly cheat just to win. But even I think there comes a point that we have to get our priorities straight.

 

And I must admit, I am becoming less tolerant of a lot of things involving secondary education these days. It seems we beg and cajole and nuture and beg kids to come to school. Maybe we are going about it all wrong. Maybe we just start telling them: if you want to come to high school and get an education, we'll let you. But we are not going to beg you to help yourself. If you don't want to be here, fine stay home. Go work at Burger King and be content if that's what you want to do. But don't interfere with those kids who want to be at school. Don't force our teachers to spend 90% of their time trying to motivate the 10% of the kids that don't want to be there. Let the teachers do their jobs of educating those kids that want to be there. I know its harsh and maybe un-Christian like of me but I that's the way I'm starting to feel. We try so hard to make it easy for kids and that may be our biggest failure. I'll probably not make it as a social worker.

 

I've already addressed the point there are a lot of other meaningful activities that could be done instead of weight training in PE classes.

 

I'm sorry if I come across as elitist. I'm truly not. Most people who know me have a hard time believing I'm an attorney. I'm much more comfortable down on the farm than I am at the country club. Actually I don't belong to the any country club and no, in case anyone's wondering, I don't play golf. I hunt and fish.

 

Perhaps I have been unfair in generalizing those schools that offer weight lifting in school. As CoachJ so clearly pointed out, some schools offering weightlifting in schools turn out a high percentage of very fine students. But unfortunately, I have a feeling, and its without foundation admittedly, that Pikeville is in a minority.

 

What I do know is that certain areas of the state, including N. Ky, get pennies back on the dollars we send to Frankfort in tax dollars. Which bothers the heck out of me. I have personally dealt with Superintendents throughout the state that are seemingly more interested in getting Proposal 20 passed than they seem interested in improving the rate of kids going to college. And as I've stated previously, something about lifting weights just bothers me.

 

I fully believe you when you say that some kids would not be able to lift weights if they had to do it after school. And if they didn't lift weights because they couldn't do it after school (no transportation) but decided to fill up the block during school otherwise used for weights with an extra class of literature, math or science, what would be wrong with that? Sure his bench might not be as great, but he'd be smarter in geometry or physics or be a better reader. Maybe the team wouldn't win state that year, but if 15 more kids went to college or developed the reading and math skills to do high tech manufacturing, that would seem more important to me.

 

Actually I'm not an elitist at all. If I was an elitist, I'd encourage the kids from the rural areas to lift weights and forget about improving themselves intellectually. I'd be saying that the rural kids aren't going to go to college anyway because they have too many disadvantages, so they need to concentrate on weightlifting classes. I don't want them to use those disadvantages as excuses. Forget that garbage. I want to challenge them to improve themselves and their lives, and the lives of what will be their families.

So your saying it's okay for a kid to take PE and play dodgeball and get a cardio workout, but it's not okay for a kid to take PE and lift weights and do agility and speed drills???? Have you ever done a 20 rep squat set with 75% of your one rep max? If that's not more taxing then 50 minutes of Dodgeball I don't know what is. Or how about a 10 minute plyometric circuit that generates over 100 jumps and tightens the core (abs)? I don't see where a game of dodgeball does any better for the health of the student than some of the exercises I just listed. I can guarantee to you that some of the things these coaches are doing in the weightlifting classes will exceed what the kids are doing in a general P.E. class.

 

Of all the comments on here, this one just got me. Just so you know LN was a Marine, I think he understands a 20 rep squat set with 75% of you one rep. max and then some.

Sorry, seems my "cake-eater" comment was taken as having much more vitriol than was intended. I've seen it used so many times as such a mild perjorative on here in the past that those to whom it was directed actually took some measure of joy in being called such -- seemed they sort of relished the sarcasm. For the record, I do not think that all from that very respected (by me, above all) place considers themselves "eaters of cake" in the true sense of the expression.

 

It just seemed to fit in that instance...that is, my reading your previous post as an indictment on PHS having only a SMALL exceptional student-achievement base.

 

 

 

Again, sorry if that is the case. But with your background in the law, I'm sure you can see how I would've made the error in prejudgment based on this statement, previously posted by you...

 

 

 

...perhaps I misread your intent; but it's hard to get "intent" on a message board. It seems you insinuated that we are "one of those schools" that boast "high achievement" as a school when it's actually only a small percentage of "doctor's kids" that skew the test results.

 

And I can say this, because I WAS GUILTY OF THIS MYSELF before actually living in this exceptional community. It is without a doubt a special kind of place that I think has to be experienced to be believed.

 

 

 

You and I are more alike than different (though my toil was in the library and Sutcliffe; tough to study with the sound of racquetballs pinging and echoing...pinging and echoing). And again, please know that I was not stereotyping "you" (or "Highlands people" for that matter) as much as the GENERAL perception out there that I know DOES exist -- thanks to wonderful people like Jerry Springer -- out in the state (this, from people I heard, first-hand who constantly complained about how "their tax money" was just going to "those hicks out in Eastern Kentucky").

 

 

 

Then, I gladly stand corrected. (But still hope you can see where I got the insinuation.)

 

 

 

Now THIS is a good question! Being a Centre grad and a person that cares about the education of our youth in general today as yourself, I would still have to say, yes. BUT, it is important that there be limits on such a thing -- but with the LIMITED amount of a school day these classes take up, I think the limitation is already achieved.

 

I agree with Boucher in that some would not be able to compete at the same level were it not for in-school opportunities due to distance from school or the need (want?) to have a part-time job after school.

 

But further, think of all the two-and-three sport athletes who are learning what may perhaps be the MOST VALUABLE skill any adult -- especially a "CAREER-MINDED" one -- needs: the ability to successfully MULTI-TASK.

 

Our adult lives are ALL ABOUT "multi-tasking." The CEO is probably also a father or mother and a husband or wife, with major responsibilities at home as such. He/she may also be a church-member and serve on several Boards of Directors for civic or other groups. At the same time (what little they have outside of their work and other responsibilities), they must be concerned with maintaining a PHYSICALLY-healthy lifestyle. That takes TIME within an already busy schedule to manage. You have to MAKE TIME. That time might even be DURING THE WORK-DAY (I'll bet there are a lot of your colleagues that take their lunch break to bike, run, or swim).

 

The entire concept of a liberal arts (I hate having to use that term as people might misinterpret it) education has at its core the belief that people benefit most by being educated in a well-rounded manner. The Classical ideal of "mind, body, and spirit" was important enough to Socrates and Aristotle to emphasize; why are those of us that wish to make easier on kids some training that will allow them to become more complete on the "body" part of that equation seen as somehow less caring about a young man or woman's education (the state has already successfully caused us to fracture the equation by deeming the "spirit" as unconstitutional -- but that's a whole other thread topic).

 

Isn't a healthy body still a part of that "Classical" equation?

 

And again, we're not talking about the WHOLE school day or HALF of it. At most, it's 1/6 or 1/7. With the trends UP in OBESITY and the overall poor health and nutrition of our young populace today -- WHICH WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD TO EVEN GREATER INCREASES IN HEALTH CARE COSTS and INSURANCE PREMIUMS on small businesses -- I think a 1/6 or 1/7 emphasis may actually be too low!

 

Look at the overhauls in major corporations that are actually spending precious capital that COULD be used for improvement of other business needs for full-fledged, comprehensive COMPANY FITNESS-CENTERS instead. They're hiring TRAINERS (basically, PE teachers) to help their employees have EASIER ACCESS to a healthy lifestyle. And it's working. 60 Minutesrecently aired a segment demonstrating how cost-effective it was for such corporations to spend capital on fitness.

 

If it's working there, why not in our schools. They ARE all about "training our kids for real life" after all.

 

And above all, I quote the indominable (well, almost) Jack Torrance in The Shining, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." Don't want our students to turn out like that guy, now do we!

 

Nice post. My position on this issue is not about PHS. A PHS supporter/teacher came on pretty strong towards me, called my position foolish and brought PHS into the discussion. I didn't.

 

I must admit that if weightlifting is taken as the state required PE class (not as an elective) and it is in lieu of wasted time learning about the basics of badminton, than I have less of a problem with it. And admittedly if the students taking the class, such as Graybeard's son, are all taking advanced courses and/or have adequately prepared themselves for college, I can't argue with that either.

 

But if kids are taking the class as an elective and in lieu of taking another math class, or literature class or science class, and these aren't kids like Graybeard's son, then I still have a problem with it. If that makes me a snob or an elitist, I'm sorry. I just want more emphasis placed on the academics and to see the average high schooler more prepared for their first job or college. Most of our high schools are doing a very poor job getting our kids ready for college and their first job. That's not just my opinion formed out of the blue sky. Its a fact. And the overall report card on the state's high schools confirms it. Discussions with employers confirm it. It is undeniable by you or anyone else. But the really odd thing is that I supposedly come across as an elitist as a result of wanting kids to take more math and science classes in high school in lieu of lifting weights. And I get painted as being a bigot; of thinking everyone from Eastern Ky. drinks RC and eats Moon Pies because I think we need to worry more about getting ready for college than about getting strong in high school. Seems odd to me.

 

Personally, I don't think any part of the school day should be spent on PE to be honest with you unless and until our schools start doing a better job turning out kids academically ready for college, not withstanding what Aristotle or Socrates may have written (forgive me Dr. Matheny) or what 60 Minutes may air (any other source would have had more credibility with me). I realize the PE teachers (my sister who a retired PE teacher in particular) aren't going to like that idea however. But most of the teachers I know complain that there just is not enough time available in the classroom to adequately instruct the subjects. Topics are becoming more complex and impossible to handle in the same amount of time that they used to require. CATS testing instruction takes up too much time. History classes are not even getting to current history, or if they are, they are shortchanging important segments of history. With our math, science and reading scores dropping, I just believe any emphasis placed on fluff school activities is a mistake and we'd be serving our kids better if we took that time and dedicated to more important academic issues.

 

And something you wrote sort of confirms my unease with the concept of lifting during school. Its being done in part (small part, large part, wholly?) to "accomodate" (my word, not yours) those kids who have jobs after school or could not otherwise lift after school for transportation or other reasons, so that they will be able to "compete at the same level" (your words or Boucher's words, not mine) as they otherwise would if they could lift after school. Being honest then and putting aside the rationalizations, its really being done during the school day because of the need to get players stronger to increase the chances of winning the games; players that would not otherwise be able to lift due to work, transportation or other issues. And if that's the case, and we are using time that these kids could otherwise use to better themselves intellectually, I think that's wrong. You may not and that's okay. We'll just disagree.

 

I'd have to think that the kids taking these weight lifting classes also take the required health class, so they are already going to receive instruction about the need for fitness, good nutrition etc. I'd also like to think that a large percentage of the kids taking these weight lifting classses, particularly the 2 and 3 sport athletes that you mention, are already going to be getting a lot of exercise and fitness training, so its not like they are going to turn into couch potatoes if they don't lift during school. Don't you agree? If they don't lift during the school day, they might not be as strong and might not win as many games, but if they are playing 2 or 3 sports, they are still getting a lot of exercise one logically would think.

 

I'll let you have the last shot in responding. But I want some things to be clear. I don't think people from Eastern Kentucky are hillbillies. Some of my best friends in college and law school hailed from places like Stinking Creek, Hazard and Jackson. They are good people. I might have been more fortunate than some folks growing up, but I did not have a silver spoon. When I told my folks I wanted to go to Centre for college so I could continue playing football, their response, with an older brother and sister at EKU at the time, was "good luck" and plan on borrowing money and working year round. I take offense to people thinking everyone in Ft. Thomas has had an easy life and not worked hard to get what we have just as much as people from Eastern Kentucky take offense to the shoeless, toothless stereotype.

 

Now I'm off to use the treadmill, as I don't have time to work out during the work day.

Of all the comments on here, this one just got me. Just so you know LN was a Marine, I think he understands a 20 rep squat set with 75% of you one rep. max and then some.

I didn't doubt that he knew about it, I was just comparing this exercise with a game of Dodgeball and arguing which one was tougher on the body. I still don't think 40 minutes of dodgeball can compare with a leg workout that most teams do in their advanced conditioning classes. That was my point. Sorry to get you so upset. :D

I was also explaining the HIT method to several posters on here if you cared to read the rest of the posts, I was not just addressing Leatherneck.

I didn't doubt that he knew about it, I was just comparing this exercise with a game of Dodgeball and arguing which one was tougher on the body. I still don't think 40 minutes of dodgeball can compare with a leg workout that most teams do in their advanced conditioning classes. That was my point. Sorry to get you so upset. :D

 

When you asked if he had ever done a 20 rep squat set I took that to question his knowlegde of a workout. I was just letting you in on a little back ground on the workout knowledge of ole LN. There isn't much tougher than the Marine Corp. PT.

I've seen a few 500 lb squats but the 600 is bit hard to believe, and to have that many good squatters ashland needs to be winning some state championships or running for about 1,000 yards an outting.

Harlan's Jake Anderson last season put up around 700 lbs on squat, i think the highest he got was 670?

Before you start claiming a 700lb. squat in high school, you better have done that in a sanctioned compitition. USPF, NASA, USAPL all have meets in Ky so get out there and give it a try. With a 700lb squat at this age you could earn some cash by turning pro and getting sponsers. By the way i personally know a few of the kids on this page that have claimed big numbers. To say the least they are a tad exagerated. But if you want to see some real squats you can come to the USPF meet tomorrow, April 1st, at the National Guard Armory in Prestonsburg. Weigh ins are at 8 am. I'll be there.

Before you start claiming a 700lb. squat in high school, you better have done that in a sanctioned compitition. USPF, NASA, USAPL all have meets in Ky so get out there and give it a try. With a 700lb squat at this age you could earn some cash by turning pro and getting sponsers. By the way i personally know a few of the kids on this page that have claimed big numbers. To say the least they are a tad exagerated. But if you want to see some real squats you can come to the USPF meet tomorrow, April 1st, at the National Guard Armory in Prestonsburg. Weigh ins are at 8 am. I'll be there.

 

 

There you go! All of those weights listed on here that weren't done at one of these meets were not done properly and therefore don't count.

There you go! All of those weights listed on here that weren't done at one of these meets were not done properly and therefore don't count.

Thats true. If they weren't done in a meet they don't count. Powerlifting is a sport just like anything else. There has to be a governing body.

Thats true. If they weren't done in a meet they don't count. Powerlifting is a sport just like anything else. There has to be a governing body.

 

So 40 yard dash times dont count unless done at a track meet. Lifting is a part of the sport... the sport of Football. And to say that the maxes that kids do for football dont count is ridiculous.

Nice post. My position on this issue is not about PHS. A PHS supporter/teacher came on pretty strong towards me, called my position foolish and brought PHS into the discussion. I didn't.

 

I must admit that if weightlifting is taken as the state required PE class (not as an elective) and it is in lieu of wasted time learning about the basics of badminton, than I have less of a problem with it. And admittedly if the students taking the class, such as Graybeard's son, are all taking advanced courses and/or have adequately prepared themselves for college, I can't argue with that either.

 

But if kids are taking the class as an elective and in lieu of taking another math class, or literature class or science class, and these aren't kids like Graybeard's son, then I still have a problem with it. If that makes me a snob or an elitist, I'm sorry. I just want more emphasis placed on the academics and to see the average high schooler more prepared for their first job or college. Most of our high schools are doing a very poor job getting our kids ready for college and their first job. That's not just my opinion formed out of the blue sky. Its a fact. And the overall report card on the state's high schools confirms it. Discussions with employers confirm it. It is undeniable by you or anyone else. But the really odd thing is that I supposedly come across as an elitist as a result of wanting kids to take more math and science classes in high school in lieu of lifting weights. And I get painted as being a bigot; of thinking everyone from Eastern Ky. drinks RC and eats Moon Pies because I think we need to worry more about getting ready for college than about getting strong in high school. Seems odd to me.

 

Personally, I don't think any part of the school day should be spent on PE to be honest with you unless and until our schools start doing a better job turning out kids academically ready for college, not withstanding what Aristotle or Socrates may have written (forgive me Dr. Matheny) or what 60 Minutes may air (any other source would have had more credibility with me). I realize the PE teachers (my sister who a retired PE teacher in particular) aren't going to like that idea however. But most of the teachers I know complain that there just is not enough time available in the classroom to adequately instruct the subjects. Topics are becoming more complex and impossible to handle in the same amount of time that they used to require. CATS testing instruction takes up too much time. History classes are not even getting to current history, or if they are, they are shortchanging important segments of history. With our math, science and reading scores dropping, I just believe any emphasis placed on fluff school activities is a mistake and we'd be serving our kids better if we took that time and dedicated to more important academic issues.

 

And something you wrote sort of confirms my unease with the concept of lifting during school. Its being done in part (small part, large part, wholly?) to "accomodate" (my word, not yours) those kids who have jobs after school or could not otherwise lift after school for transportation or other reasons, so that they will be able to "compete at the same level" (your words or Boucher's words, not mine) as they otherwise would if they could lift after school. Being honest then and putting aside the rationalizations, its really being done during the school day because of the need to get players stronger to increase the chances of winning the games; players that would not otherwise be able to lift due to work, transportation or other issues. And if that's the case, and we are using time that these kids could otherwise use to better themselves intellectually, I think that's wrong. You may not and that's okay. We'll just disagree.

 

I'd have to think that the kids taking these weight lifting classes also take the required health class, so they are already going to receive instruction about the need for fitness, good nutrition etc. I'd also like to think that a large percentage of the kids taking these weight lifting classses, particularly the 2 and 3 sport athletes that you mention, are already going to be getting a lot of exercise and fitness training, so its not like they are going to turn into couch potatoes if they don't lift during school. Don't you agree? If they don't lift during the school day, they might not be as strong and might not win as many games, but if they are playing 2 or 3 sports, they are still getting a lot of exercise one logically would think.

 

I'll let you have the last shot in responding. But I want some things to be clear. I don't think people from Eastern Kentucky are hillbillies. Some of my best friends in college and law school hailed from places like Stinking Creek, Hazard and Jackson. They are good people. I might have been more fortunate than some folks growing up, but I did not have a silver spoon. When I told my folks I wanted to go to Centre for college so I could continue playing football, their response, with an older brother and sister at EKU at the time, was "good luck" and plan on borrowing money and working year round. I take offense to people thinking everyone in Ft. Thomas has had an easy life and not worked hard to get what we have just as much as people from Eastern Kentucky take offense to the shoeless, toothless stereotype.

 

Now I'm off to use the treadmill, as I don't have time to work out during the work day.

 

 

You are a trained person who likes to argue points and I am not going to get into that with you. I am a coach and teacher, who has worked with KDE to help build CATS questions for the practical living section of the test. I am not from Pikeville nor do I teach at PHS, I was just stating some facts, and using them as a example (thier are many others in the state similar to them) I work at a school that is very diverse, and I work everyday to help all students, so I think that I may understand them a little better than you. I do not think that the 52 minutes that we spend in weight training is the downfall of society. Not every student in school takes weight training. What is the problem with these students? :confused:

 

I have heard of large corp. that have hired fitness experts/trainers to come in during the work day to work with thier employees. Helps the insurance rates go down. Maybe you need to get your firm to look at this. Then you would not have to hit the treadmill after work.

 

Let's get this thread back on track. Who has the best power clean around? :banana:

So 40 yard dash times dont count unless done at a track meet. Lifting is a part of the sport... the sport of Football. And to say that the maxes that kids do for football dont count is ridiculous.

Count for what? State records? Then no they don't count unless you've done them in a meet. Count for bragging rights? Sure you can brag about anything you want. I'm sorry i didn't know they added a 40 yard dash to track. Oh wait they ddin't. So that arguement doesn't hold. Its different having a coach watch you and having a 3 certified judeges watching you. I've done 480lbs on the bench in a workout. But i can only claim 440 in compitition. The rules are stricter.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.