NKY/Cincy Hidden Gem Restaurants

UKMustangFan

The F&N Steakhouse.....

I always wondered why they kept the lights dim. After we got the building through Bankruptcy, we went through to clean the place up. The Rats were so big they use to Arm Wrestle at the bar. Just ask Sweeperboy, he was ran out of board meeting the furry giants were having one day over a piece of steak. I have never seen rodents that big in my entire life. Wow!!!! Sweep opened an Electrical Panel one day to find a monster had snaked through the open conduit to only be roasted when he thought he was biting into a "Slim Jim"

A new place in Bellevue is the Elusive Cow Cafe. We ate there during Christmas and I thought it was pretty good (not cheap though). I believe they have a menu online.

We went in the owner of Virgils (a HS classmate of mine) was sitting at the bar. I made a joke about supporting the competition and he shot back that is exactly what he was trying to do. It was nice to see the friendly competition on Fairfield Ave. was more weighted on the friend side than the competition side.

The F&N Steakhouse.....

I always wondered why they kept the lights dim. After we got the building through Bankruptcy, we went through to clean the place up. The Rats were so big they use to Arm Wrestle at the bar. Just ask Sweeperboy, he was ran out of board meeting the furry giants were having one day over a piece of steak. I have never seen rodents that big in my entire life. Wow!!!! Sweep opened an Electrical Panel one day to find a monster had snaked through the open conduit to only be roasted when he thought he was biting into a "Slim Jim"

F&N had the best prime rib that I ever ate, but after your story, I think I'm going to be ill.

I ate at Wunderbar! in Covington this past Saturday. It was AMAZING - all five of the folks I went down there with agreed completely. They hand-make traditional German and German-inspired cuisine. The menu changes somewhat on a day-to-day basis, depending largely on which sausages they've made; the whole menu and beer selection is written on a chalk-board behind the bar.

I started with a home-made soft pretzel ($4)...and that sucker was the size of a dinner plate. I've seen smaller birthday cakes. I ordered a side of spundekäs cheese dip for the pretzel, and four of use ended up splitting the one pretzel and dip. They've got plenty of German import beers, but I went with a 25oz Hudepohl Amber draft for $5. I ordered the hand-stuffed mettwurst and curry-wurst for dinner, with roasted potatoes on the side. They suggested that I tried the curry-ketchup with the potatoes, and it was pretty fantastic as well. I think my entree came out to $8...and I left stuffed.

That place TOTALLY deserves to be on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives....and I think I'm gonna become a regular.

A new place in Bellevue is the Elusive Cow Cafe. We ate there during Christmas and I thought it was pretty good (not cheap though). I believe they have a menu online.

We went in the owner of Virgils (a HS classmate of mine) was sitting at the bar. I made a joke about supporting the competition and he shot back that is exactly what he was trying to do. It was nice to see the friendly competition on Fairfield Ave. was more weighted on the friend side than the competition side.

That place used to be called Skinny Legs...and it was good then as well. I just glanced over the Elusive Cow menu, and it doesn't look like it's changed too much from the old one (and that's not a bad thing).

I ate at Wunderbar! in Covington this past Saturday. It was AMAZING - all five of the folks I went down there with agreed completely. They hand-make traditional German and German-inspired cuisine. The menu changes somewhat on a day-to-day basis, depending largely on which sausages they've made; the whole menu and beer selection is written on a chalk-board behind the bar.

I started with a home-made soft pretzel ($4)...and that sucker was the size of a dinner plate. I've seen smaller birthday cakes. I ordered a side of spundekäs cheese dip for the pretzel, and four of use ended up splitting the one pretzel and dip. They've got plenty of German import beers, but I went with a 25oz Hudepohl Amber draft for $5. I ordered the hand-stuffed mettwurst and curry-wurst for dinner, with roasted potatoes on the side. They suggested that I tried the curry-ketchup with the potatoes, and it was pretty fantastic as well. I think my entree came out to $8...and I left stuffed.

That place TOTALLY deserves to be on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives....and I think I'm gonna become a regular.

This one I HAVE to check out! Thanks, CWB!

• 2 weeks later...

Ate there today for lunch with the Mrs. We were NOT disappointed! The pretzel was as you said, HUGE and delicious, we had the bier cheese with it. Very good, smokey and an actual beer taste! The two of us split the Ruben and a bratwurst with a side of sauerkraut. Excellent! I had an Einbecker Dunkel to wash it all down, very good as well. We will be going back and spreading the word as well. The staff were friendly and we liked the atmosphere. I highly recommend trying it.

Ate there today for lunch with the Mrs. We were NOT disappointed! The pretzel was as you said, HUGE and delicious, we had the bier cheese with it. Very good, smokey and an actual beer taste! The two of us split the Ruben and a bratwurst with a side of sauerkraut. Excellent! I had an Einbecker Dunkel to wash it all down, very good as well. We will be going back and spreading the word as well. The staff were friendly and we liked the atmosphere. I highly recommend trying it.

I think I may be headed back sometime this weekend with some friends as well.

They probably have great food, but they lost this patron at the front door. :irked: