NKY/Cincy Hidden Gem Restaurants

UKMustangFan

Newport Pizza Co. at Sixth and Monmouth.....NY style, super thin crust and the best part, $10 for any pizza, any size all day Mondays!! They have a Highlands Country Club pie, surprisingly devoid of cake but very good nonetheless. My boys like the Cincinnatus and the Chicken BBQ, and at that price, they can have both!

Very good pizza, as a New England native, their pizza can make it anywhere, unlike some large local chains.

Believe it or not, I actually had dinner tonight at a place called "Guru India," with RTS and his clan. Talk about being apprehensive about a dining experience! The name alone was intimidating for a devout BGPian like me! :eek: On top of that, everything I'd heard and read about Indian cuisine had me updating the will and notifying the next of kin. I spent the whole day mentally and emotionally preparing for the unholy that lie ahead!

But you know what? It was good...it was really good! And it was nothing at all like I expected. Now granted, I did not venture beyond the friendly confines of the "Li'l Buckaroo's" end of the fire scale, but it was plenty hot enough for a first try. But most importantly, it tasted awesome!

I had something called Lamb Do Piazza. I went in considering the Lamb Vindaloo -- after all, it was meat and potatoes. What red-blooded American chicken coould pass that up? But RTS' daughter (and others) cautioned me against attempting that level of difficulty on the first visit to The Land of the Atomic Curry. So I went with something a little more tame....but still so good!

I'm looking forward to a return visit. Although, who knows when that will be, as I doubt I'll have much luck convincing my family to give it a try. :cool: In any case, I had a great time and enjoyed, as always, the chance to catch up with the RTS crew. :thumb:

We'll get you there soon again, no doubt!

Great hanging out with you again!

Haven't noticed Mokka at 5th and Monmouth in Newport mentioned, so I'll toss that one in. Friendly place, good food, nice burgers, decent prices especially on Thursday with their "$6 you call it' deal. For even bigger savings you can go to this coupon website Perkopolis that gives you 50% off deals at Mokka as well as a bunch of other places, some already mentioned here like Whackburger, and Bayou Fish House.

Little story about my 'Bards Burgers' experience that goes back a few years. I walk in and sit down probably looking like a newbee. Waitress comes over before I have a chance to look at menu (which typically I like to look at to get sorted out about offerings and pricing) "You here for the burgers!" "Sure am!" says I, with eyes aglow. So I forego looking at menu and follow her prompts. "Would you like cheese on that?", "Yup".... "Lettuce, Tomato, Onions, Pickles"?... "Sounds Good", "Ketchup?"... "Sure"... "Fries", "Yup"... .... Ok... so the burger was fine and tasty and I think that I have a general idea of what the bill will come to without doing my normal menu once over. The bill comes and is about few dollars more than I expected. I look closely to find that EVERYTHING, Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Onions, Pickles .... all the way down to the squirt of ketchup was an up charge??? Are you serious??? ... I felt like I had been duped and that her quick attention to me was meant to keep me from looking at the prices on the menu... I step up to the counter to pay and the owner says "How'd you like your burger?" ... I say..."Really nice burger", with enthusiasm... "but ... I'll never eat here again!" ... He looks puzzled and I go on to tell him that I felt duped and that I'd be sure to let everyone that I know about the ridiculous up charges. He didn't look too happy, and neither was I.