NKY/Cincy Hidden Gem Restaurants

UKMustangFan

Believe it or not, I actually had dinner tonight at a place called "Guru India," with RTS and his clan. Talk about being apprehensive about a dining experience! The name alone was intimidating for a devout BGPian like me! :eek: On top of that, everything I'd heard and read about Indian cuisine had me updating the will and notifying the next of kin. I spent the whole day mentally and emotionally preparing for the unholy that lie ahead!

But you know what? It was good...it was really good! And it was nothing at all like I expected. Now granted, I did not venture beyond the friendly confines of the "Li'l Buckaroo's" end of the fire scale, but it was plenty hot enough for a first try. But most importantly, it tasted awesome!

I had something called Lamb Do Piazza. I went in considering the Lamb Vindaloo -- after all, it was meat and potatoes. What red-blooded American chicken coould pass that up? But RTS' daughter (and others) cautioned me against attempting that level of difficulty on the first visit to The Land of the Atomic Curry. So I went with something a little more tame....but still so good!

I'm looking forward to a return visit. Although, who knows when that will be, as I doubt I'll have much luck convincing my family to give it a try. :cool: In any case, I had a great time and enjoyed, as always, the chance to catch up with the RTS crew. :thumb:

Love me some Indian food.

Incredible! Mac n cheese was perfect...mashed potatoes browned in the grill we're creamy. Pulled pork sandwich was big, and had the perfect amount of sauce. Sandwich, 2 sides, and a drink...$12

I knew it...I am tired of putting this off. My buddy does Eli's books for him as a part time gig and goes down every other friday. We have been trying to get together and it hasnt worked out.

I think he said they have jalepeno flavored biscuits? or maybe its mashed potatoes. I need to clarify that.

I knew it...I am tired of putting this off. My buddy does Eli's books for him as a part time gig and goes down every other friday. We have been trying to get together and it hasnt worked out.

I think he said they have jalepeno flavored biscuits? or maybe its mashed potatoes. I need to clarify that.

Jalapeño biscuits and jalapeño cheese grits. Both are excellent...

Believe it or not, I actually had dinner tonight at a place called "Guru India," with RTS and his clan. Talk about being apprehensive about a dining experience! The name alone was intimidating for a devout BGPian like me! :eek: On top of that, everything I'd heard and read about Indian cuisine had me updating the will and notifying the next of kin. I spent the whole day mentally and emotionally preparing for the unholy that lie ahead!

But you know what? It was good...it was really good! And it was nothing at all like I expected. Now granted, I did not venture beyond the friendly confines of the "Li'l Buckaroo's" end of the fire scale, but it was plenty hot enough for a first try. But most importantly, it tasted awesome!

I had something called Lamb Do Piazza. I went in considering the Lamb Vindaloo -- after all, it was meat and potatoes. What red-blooded American chicken coould pass that up? But RTS' daughter (and others) cautioned me against attempting that level of difficulty on the first visit to The Land of the Atomic Curry. So I went with something a little more tame....but still so good!

I'm looking forward to a return visit. Although, who knows when that will be, as I doubt I'll have much luck convincing my family to give it a try. :cool: In any case, I had a great time and enjoyed, as always, the chance to catch up with the RTS crew. :thumb:

For what it's worth, Guru India is pretty excellent. It's operated by the same folks as Ambar India up in Clifton...which is almost annually named Cincinnati's best Indian restaurant in CityBeat's "Best Of" issue.

Vindaloo is excellent...and spicy. It's generally what I get almost every time anymore. I learned when visiting my fiancee over in Wales last year while she was studying, though, that the vindaloos served in the Indian restaurants in the US pale in comparison to the heat of the vindaloos served in the Indian restaurants of the UK...where Indian restaurants are as prevalent and pizza places are in the US. By UK scales, vindaloo is considered a "medium/hot" spice level, and there was one restaurant I ate at where the "medium/hot" lamb vindaloo I had there was EASILY three times as spicy as any I had ever eaten at Ambar. It took me almost 45 minutes to finish my helping, and for the next 14 hours or so, I could have given precise minute-by-minute updates on my meal's advancing location in my digestive tract. HOT HOT HOT!

For what it's worth, Guru India is pretty excellent. It's operated by the same folks as Ambar India up in Clifton...which is almost annually named Cincinnati's best Indian restaurant in CityBeat's "Best Of" issue.

Vindaloo is excellent...and spicy. It's generally what I get almost every time anymore. I learned when visiting my fiancee over in Wales last year while she was studying, though, that the vindaloos served in the Indian restaurants in the US pale in comparison to the heat of the vindaloos served in the Indian restaurants of the UK...where Indian restaurants are as prevalent and pizza places are in the US. By UK scales, vindaloo is considered a "medium/hot" spice level, and there was one restaurant I ate at where the "medium/hot" lamb vindaloo I had there was EASILY three times as spicy as any I had ever eaten at Ambar. It took me almost 45 minutes to finish my helping, and for the next 14 hours or so, I could have given precise minute-by-minute updates on my meal's advancing location in my digestive tract. HOT HOT HOT!

I agree about Guru. For those that want to try Indian food for the first time, I recommend going to Guru during lunch. They have a nice buffet with a variety of foods and spice levels. Go there several times a month with guys from work.

Speaking of spice levels, some Indian restaurants will differentiate between 'Indian hot' and 'American hot' Be careful as Indian is quite a bit hotter than american! Believe me I learned! :lol:

The New Garden in Ft Thomas up on the south side by the Armory is outstanding Chinese. They have a sushi bar and the presentation and taste is excellent.

Prices are wonderful as well.

I took my two teenagers the other Night and here is what we got for $26.

Sushi crab roll (8 pieces). $5.95 crazy

Bowl of Wonton soup.

Médium size Chicken Lo Mein (seemed big to me)

2 orders of the Orange Chicken Combo.(.these come with Lita of vegetables an egg roll and rice.

3 waters

Then after you eat they bring you an orange that is half peeled and cut really cool.

I cant say enough about this place.

I hope to check this place out tonight, Q.