NKY/Cincy Hidden Gem Restaurants

UKMustangFan

Camp Washington Chili is terrible. I can't beleive it gets all the accolades (although many are dated). It's just not good chili and you are charged for every little extra. I think the novelty of giving "best chili award" to a small one location place has gotten them far, but IMO the chili itself is not near as good as Dixie.

Hands down, Dixie is the best.

Best Fish in the city is Alabama Fish Bar on Liberty st. north of downtown Cincy. It is "to go" only but the fish is excellent. Large pieces of cod, fried, but not to a crisp. You can then dress the fish yourself with malt vinegar, hot sauce, salt, pepper, etc. They also are grilling up onions and peppers which they give you at no charge. If you like fish, its great. Give it a try.

Camp Washington Chili is terrible. I can't beleive it gets all the accolades (although many are dated). It's just not good chili and you are charged for every little extra. I think the novelty of giving "best chili award" to a small one location place has gotten them far, but IMO the chili itself is not near as good as Dixie.

I won't go "terrible" but I do wholeheartedly agree that Dixie is easily better than CW.

Best Fish in the city is Alabama Fish Bar on Liberty st. north of downtown Cincy. It is "to go" only but the fish is excellent. Large pieces of cod, fried, but not to a crisp. You can then dress the fish yourself with malt vinegar, hot sauce, salt, pepper, etc. They also are grilling up onions and peppers which they give you at no charge. If you like fish, its great. Give it a try.

Agreed on the high quality fish at the Fish Bar. Gets pretty crowded at lunch during Lent.

Used to go to Alabama Fish Bar a bunch, but haven't been since Bayou Fish House opened in Newport. Better fish, breading and sides plus the daily specials are always solid...

Used to go to Alabama Fish Bar a bunch, but haven't been since Bayou Fish House opened in Newport. Better fish, breaking and sides plus the daily specials are always solid...

I think Bayou will get more of my biz as well. Met the owner. Cool cat. Like his lunch specials.

Agreed on the high quality fish at the Fish Bar. Gets pretty crowded at lunch during Lent.

And at the beginning of the month.

Whitefish is awesome. I go with the peppers and onions and with the ketchup and mustard. Never thought I would like it that way, but it is amazing!

Pho Lang Thang in Findlay Market(Cincy) is very good, very cheap, and very filling. They mostly serve Pho which to those who are unfamiliar is a Vietnamese dish, similar to soup, consisting of broth, rice noodles, various herbs, and meat.

Blinkers in Covington is very good. It is owned by the guy who used to own Steak and Pasta out in Alexandria years ago. They have the same steaks they used to have at S & P..If your not looking to spend Ruby prices for a steak this is the place to go...Great food!!:thumb:

I have been twice recently and probably won't go back. It is okay, nothing great, nothing bad.

I disagree completely about Camp Washington. Dixie is the best one with multiple locations, but I'm a big Camp Washington fan.