Everything posted by two bad teams
-
Caleb Jefferson
Caleb Jefferson is going to NCC. I stated this is Feb, in March, and now in June. I'm not trying to scoop anyone but with all the BS on here felt I needed to give my opinion. That's ok. That's what happens on a site like this. I haven't wavered. Wherever he goes he'll be fine. But he's going to NCC. Enrolling tomorrow. He should round out a nice class. Good luck to him.
-
Dunbar/Doss Updates (Sweet 16 Championship)
Great updates. Sounds like its rather chippy out there and the refs are doing what they need to do.
-
How do you stop Ben Weyer?
This thread is stupid as good players get pitted against one another. I can tell you that being down here the ENTIRE state knows about Weyer and loves his game. He has the best hands and arm length that I can remember. He is one of the best big man shooters in a while. He rebounds STRONG. Enjoy his game. Leave it at that.
-
Question for Covington Catholic fans
I'm an Ncc grad with CCH ties. I am sitting at the Hyatt Bar with half of the CCH coaching staff. I can tell you with full certainty that they aren't breaking ranks with their 9th Region Brethren. They are rooting for NCC. Good guys. They know the 9th Region struggles in long past years. They are on board. They want the 9th to be recognized as a top region.
-
How many Sweet 16 teams have you seen play this year?
OMG...Halycon Days is one of the greatest phrases of all time, but I seldom find time and place to use it. I wasn't sure of its definition, but that must be the genesis of how its used. anyway, Well played. Typically it gets replaced with "salad days"...meaning, best times of your life, when you were the "stuff", etc. etc. Steely Dan has an album entitled "Halcyon Days" If you need any other useless info, I'm here... :popcorn:
-
Trinity 52 St. Xavier 48 (OT) (7th Region Championship)
Congratulations Trinity. What is the makeup of this year's Trinity team? Starters, Size, best player? Style of play? (Scores indicate they can play some D for sure).
-
Newport Central Catholic 52 Covington Catholic 47 (9th Region Championship)
I stayed a little too late at the postgame celebration at Barleycorn's Cold Spring. It was great to see the packed house greet the team and coaching staff with a standing ovation upon their arrival. Equally great is reading the class being shown here by the CCH fans and others congratulating the Breds. Very classy. I have to believe that legendary teachers/Administrators/and friends Carl Foster and Jack Kaelin are proud of both teams and the fan bases. These two teams have been going at it for 50+ years. They espouse the same virtues on and off the court. The pride, toughness, and gravel in the guts is typically on display when these two teams play. It's great basketball. Great for Ron Dawn, Jimmy Pangallo and the staff. Very humble in victory, deferring all credit to the kids. They have tremendous respect for CCH and Coach Ruthsatz. They know the future at CCH is very bright and in very capable hands with Coach R. Jimmy is basically the ambassador for the school and just about every kid in the 9th region. He is often seen hugging the downtrodden opposing player in defeat (McNeil of Cooper comes to mind) or congratulating them in victory. Jimmy is 50 years old but could still play out there today. His energy is boundless. I thought Ron Dawn coached a fantastic game last night. Having Weyer slagging off of Mayer to keep him from driving, also allowing Weyer to stay down low. Then the master stroke of going zone (typically a four letter word for Ronny). They didn't want Ruthsatz and CVH driving for buckets or drawing fouls to extend the game at the line. Putting CCH on the line you are basically saying goodnight. They have shown to hit many a clutch free throw during Coach R's tenure. Ronny also showed great patience in sitting Hall for a quarter and a half. In the end it paid off as the sophomore hit one of the biggest 3's in school history. The Seniors got it done. Cliché as heck, but they did it for all the teams that were disappointed to not go down state. Many of those players were in attendance and on the floor postgame. I have posted on here prior that NCC, CCH, and Brossart play the best defense in the State. With apologies to a lot of teams I have not seen. My sampling is the 8-9-10 region and a little bit of the 11th. If there is a better defensive team than NCC right now I would like to see it. The Anderson twins get after you 84' x 50' (or 94' by 50') depending on court size and Weyer blocks whatever comes his way. Hall, Neff, and Moeves play great D as well. Congratulations NCC team and staff. Next stop Rupp. The bracket is tough, but go get the Ring. Lawnboy is buying for everyone at the Hyatt bar. Just put it on his tab
-
Covington Catholic v Newport Central Catholic 9th Region Finals Prediction Thread
While I agree that Christian County seems to have a never ending supply of athletic talent and has amassed an impressive 28-2 record, I have to pause when I look at their schedule. They will have played Hoptown and U. Heights like 5 times? Additionally, I have no idea how good the out of state teams are. Why no King of the Bluegrass or any 6,7, or 11th teams on their schedule? They might be great, but the schedule is not, so, I have to wait and see. Full disclosure I have not seen them play in person this year. That matchup would not come to the finals anyway so if the 9th region representative (CCH or NCC) makes it that far I will be happy for the opportunity to play Christian County or the Golden State Warriors for the chance to win State. Good luck.
-
Covington Catholic v Newport Central Catholic 9th Region Finals Prediction Thread
Fair enough on the strength of the 11th. I would have to say that overall the 11th is stronger but not by much. Plus, let's face it, you only have to play one of these teams and that team has to get by Mercer Co.....so, yes, a lot can happen. Based on this year's regular season results, anything can happen.
- Covington Catholic v Newport Central Catholic 9th Region Finals Prediction Thread
-
Covington Catholic v Newport Central Catholic 9th Region Finals Prediction Thread
Yes, this will be something. I was surprised to see Ziegelmeyer in warmup gear only tonight. Did not know he was also injured. That said CCH does a great job of "team rebounding"...tipping balls, scrapping for loose balls, etc. On the flip side, NCC has had two great Halves the first two games. The other halves, not so much. Still, ask any ardent follower of the 9th region if NCC would take a double digit win over Cooper followed by a big victory over HC, they would take it in a heartbeat and feel good about their chances. I'm going to choose to look at the two good halves of basketball they've played and feel NCC has gotten their sea legs. Tomorrow, I think Weyer and Hall play better than the last game vs CCH and without Heppler and Zigelmeyers size leaning on Weyer I can see NC breaking through for the W. I suppose Walter could get more time but we'll have to see how Coach Ruthsatz plays it. Just a guess, but I see: NCC 56 CCH 54 In a thriller. Further, the winner of this game will play for the State Title. Yes, the 9th will beat the 6th in the opener and continue to roll from there. Not a stretch for CCH being ranked #1 but NCC has a chance too. (Here is where the arrows are shot from 'round the state...) Good luck both teams.
-
Holy Cross/ Newport Central Catholic (9th Region Semifinal) Predictions
I thought #1 Hacker started vs. Dixie. He had a couple of early 3's.
-
Augusta 72 Scott 71 (10th Region Quarterfinals)
Outstanding account of the game. Nice work. I also love the River to Rupp. I see tee-shirts with the phrase if they can do it. George Clooney has offered to pay for them ?
-
Newport Central Catholic 48 Cooper 34 (9th Region 1st Rd.)
Weyer had a ton of rebounds and guarded the rim well. This all leads to Cooper shooting from outside and missing. You have to give NCC credit for only allowing 9 points at half. Cooper couldn't even draw a foul brcause they were either blocked at the rim or kicked out for a 3. I realize Cooper not a full strength but also realize this was no nail biter. Up 17 at half and winning by 14 or so is pretty dominant. They were up 20 for parts of the game. Perhaps not pretty or flashy I'll agree but It was a business-like performance. Good luck Jags next year.
-
Newport Central Catholic 48 Cooper 34 (9th Region 1st Rd.)
Then how do you explain the regular season game? Look, I admire Coopers fight with an undermanned team, but let's give the winners their due. They didn't squeak this one out. It wasn't a nail biter. NCC answered every Cooper run. They were Up 20 points, allowed 9 points at half. Sure, you can blame poor shooting but then you have to say that Cooper are not a team that can get a basket inside. Come on guys, the game got close but the final score tells the tale. Good luck next year as they figure to have the 2nd best team in region.
-
Newport Central Catholic 48 Cooper 34 (9th Region 1st Rd.)
They have a lot coming back but will lack height. A clear #2 but a distance 2nd to what CCH brings. This year, fully healthy, they still lose this game. NewCath Dominated. Not a single basket at the rim in the first half. NewCath handled them in regular season as well, lest we forget. Let's not get too carried away. Would have taken quite an effort to beat NewCath. Weyer just too much on the boards.
-
South Oldham 81 Owen County 76 (8th Region)
Please tell me about the Cronin and Bostic situation?
-
Scott 58 Bishop Brossart 52 (37th District Semifinals)
"What I had, I gave. What I kept, I lost" -Anonymous, but on the wall in Elder HS locker room. This Brossart team left nothing on the court. This senior class of: Jackson Crawford Jacob Zai Joey Hickman Justin Rolf Logan Schultz John Ridder David Kelley Will go down as one of the most hard working, unselfish, most improved and just generally likeable group to come through the halls at BBHS. They had a fantastic season and should hold their heads high. They out hustled, out worked, and out schemed their opposition throughout the year, all along doing it with the respect and class we have come to know from the Brossart program. Scott was better last night, and they deserved the victory. Good luck moving on. To the Brossart Seniors, good luck in your future endeavors.... "Let's take this Rocketship to the moon!"
-
Covington Catholic 63 Holmes 36 (35th District Semifinals)
No worries here. One of the things I LIKE about this site is that you can have discussions of differing opinions. (and not just because Clyde pointed out you are a CCH fan :up: We can agree to disagree but I find no malice in my comments when I say a team that is barely above .500 is not very good. Teams have down years, it happens. It's certainly not even in the same galaxy as what has been written on this site over the years. Coaches and players getting ripped, school administrators getting torched, its all been written about on here by several others. It's all good here. I'm on to the next game.
- Covington Catholic 63 Holmes 36 (35th District Semifinals)
-
Covington Catholic 63 Holmes 36 (35th District Semifinals)
Wow. This one made me spill my coffee. I am not sure you are qualified to give advice based on this statement. "This site is keen on manners" Really? You can't be serious? While I respect and admire a lot of posters on here and get along with them, its a great place to get info, etc. but there have been MANY MANY instances where threads would not be considered "manners". Please review other threads going on right now...and some in the past. I don't think referring to a team as not being good would even come CLOSE to what else has been written on here. You might be a Holmes fan and I get that. For further background I am good friends with a Dawgs fan and attended all of their state runs. There wasn't a bigger non Holmes associated fan in Rupp arena than me. (I was hooting loudly at the bad call vs. Madison Central a few years back as one example). So, this is not personal. I have seen this years team play a few times and just didn't see much talent. If we cant say a team isn't good, how else shall we do it? This site will become very Pollyanna quickly. If you are bothered by this, please stay away from some of the other threads, I feel you might not be able to handle those at all.
-
Covington Catholic 63 Holmes 36 (35th District Semifinals)
Walter, please point out where i bashed a player individually. Just let me know where I did that....please. I am reporting on a team, Holmes, that just had a down year and you are afraid to accept it. I could have gone on here and said they were "dangerous" or a "tough out" but I didn't because I knew they weren't. They were just not a good team. Can we state the obvious on here? Just a team barely above .500 So, while my math may have been off, my analysis wasn't. Holmes just wasn't very good. Accept it. They have a great tradition and will be back, but this year they were never really good. Sorry if that offends. I have to call it like it is.
- Covington Catholic 63 Holmes 36 (35th District Semifinals)
- Covington Catholic 63 Holmes 36 (35th District Semifinals)
- Covington Catholic 63 Holmes 36 (35th District Semifinals)