Joker is OUT at Season's End

Hangman

After the year Louisiana Tech is having, it's conceivable that Franklin could be in line for bigger jobs than Kentucky offensive coordinator, chief of which might be the head coach at Louisiana Tech is Dykes leaves (for Kentucky, Arkansas, Auburn, or wherever).

Good point.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that say Cutcliffe, his career head coaching record is 65-66. I'll pass. The Neal

Brown and Bud Foster idea is intriguing with both being Kentucky boys.

I'm in the same boat with you on Cutcliffe. While the record isn't great at Duke (who's would be?), he has proven himself to be a pretty good coach. He's also 58 years old. Older guys can be successful, but when you are a school like Kentucky, looking for an instant shot of energy, I don't think hiring a senior citizen would be the best route to take.

I'm not sure why hiring Sonny Dykes would be underwhelming. There probably arent any real big name guys that will want the job. Gotta do the best with what's available.

Who do you suggest btw?

I wish I knew the guy to turn the program around but unfortunately I don't. I don't think anyone does...but I think a list without Bobby Petrino is a bad one. He may not be the answer but if they're already ruling him out I don't have much confidence in a home run hire. Go big or go 1-10...or both. I'd rather take high risk high reward than low risk low reward/long term chance of high reward.

Saban, Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly...what do they have in common? They all did the same thing as Petrino. People forget that he was all in with Arkansas and didn't make the decision to leave. He made a mistake, but he was committed to Arkansas. Arkansas wasn't Kentucky bad, but they weren't world beaters when he took over. At least I don't recall them being that great. Petrino has had his negatives, but I really think he could do great here. Plus, if he was able to turn uk into a contender, why would he leave? The gamble worked on Cal, and I think it could work with Petrino as well. If not him, Mitch has to do his homework and make a killer hire.

And btw, to the post about how we NEED a big name coach to put butts in the seats...I don't think that's true. The fans stopped coming because of the bad football and to make Mitch make a decision. They will back any coach that comes in next year, no matter who it is, until that coach has shown he is not capable of doing the job. I'd almost guarantee attendance will be back up next year no matter what, because we will still be excited about the new opportunity and start.

Not a surprise but, it still doesn't solve the 50 yr problem of UK football. Name a Coach that has left UK and had future success as a Head Coach. Name one that left that wasn't fired. Who will want a job were you can't recruit Alabama type players but the school thinks you should have Alabama results. 7-5 expectations are better that 2-10; both are mediorce. When is 7-5 not good enough. Just saying, Coach Phillips did his best, got rid of the people who wasn't doing the job but in the end, didn't get results. let's hope they can get someone to fix a 50 year problem.

When did Joker hit the 7-5 mark? 6-7, 5-7, and currently 1-9. This programs fans do NOT have anywhere near Bama expectations. That's crazy talk.

I think UK needs to hire someone with head coaching experience to turn the ship around. It worked with Mumme (athough it didn't end well) and it worked with Brooks. I think Joker proved that good coordinators don't turn into good head coaches.

Kliff Kingsbury is the flavor of the month but can he turn the program around quicker than he should be allowed to because of SEC expectations? Can any coordinator?

I can't see any scenario where UK hires Petrino or Tressel but there were those who thought UK would steer clear of Calipari.

I think the new UK coach needs to show the committee he can put together a top-notch staff. That's what turns programs around. The ability of the staff to develop talent and UK has been lacking here under Joker. Which coach out there can come in day one and have a top staff assembled?

Is Sonny Dykes the best option? And will Tony Franklin be the deal-breaker? Will UK allow Franklin to come back?

How much input will Barnhart get from former players such as Tim Couch, Dermonti Dawson, and Wesley Woodyard?

If hiring Calipari was the #1 biggest hire of Barnhart's tenure, then I believe this is 1A. The new coach has to show the fanbase that Mitch's 700+ words he blathered about in his open letter today before he lowered the boom on Joker wasn't just lip service.

I'm going off topic for a minute, but to the bolded, thank you. That letter reminded me of Beowulf. Talk about a tough read. UK needs to find a football coach, then in short order, find Mitch a press secretary.

The guy had to have the same contract law professor as leatherneck.

If UK wants to hire someone quickly, they'll either have to seriously over-pay or think outside the box. The top-tier candidates are going to wait and see which jobs are open and where they have a chance to be hired. Including Kentucky, more than a quarter of the SEC is going to be looking for a new head coach, not to mention other potential openings in power conferences and the NFL.

Yeah, but do we want to wait the 3-5 years it took for Brooks to get going or do we want immediate success or what would be conceived as immediate success for UK football?

That's the question.

I don't think ANYBODY is going to have any form of "immediate" success. This isn't basketball. One or two stud recruits isn't going to do it.

And as far as Brooks goes, his progress was hampered by probation when he arrived, which won't be the case this time.

I don't think ANYBODY is going to have any form of "immediate" success. This isn't basketball. One or two stud recruits isn't going to do it.

And as far as Brooks goes, his progress was hampered by probation when he arrived, which won't be the case this time.

I did put 'immediate success for UK football' at the end.

Right now that is winning 4-6 games or AT THE VERY LEAST being somewhat competitive next season isn't it?