Joker is OUT at Season's End

Hangman

He didn't get slaughtered in the Big 12. A gimmick coach is exactly what UK needs, IMO. We aren't going to get the 5-star athletes required to line up toe-to-toe with Alabama, Florida, LSU, etc.

If we aren't going to get a gimmick coach, we need to recruit huge, SEC running backs, line up in the I and run the ball. Then mix in a few play action passes.

I think that is far from the truth. I believe UK has the players to COMPETE (not dominate) in the SEC. We have athletes on this squad I mean look at the USC, UGA games this year we were in those games. A team doesn't just compete like that with below average players. I think we have some good players--it just seemed like at times that that extra ingredient was missing. I believe that extra ingredient more often than not was coaching. Not all of it, but most of it.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big 12 isn't the SEC. That offense isn't going to fly against SEC caliber D's. They need a complete coach who will pay attention to both sides of the ball.

It doesn't matter what you pay attention to if every player on the other team is bigger, faster and more talented than every player on your team. You have to think outside the box.

We need a poll in this thread on who UK fans would want (realistically) as the coach next season.

Good idea.

By the way, is there a "Coach Cal" out there for the football team? Someone who can actually go out and get top players? Is that even possible at Kentucky? Thoughts?

Good idea.

By the way, is there a "Coach Cal" out there for the football team? Someone who can actually go out and get top players? Is that even possible at Kentucky? Thoughts?

I tried to explain this in a separate post last night to a fellow BGP'er, but I think I was a bit unclear. Football I think is different. A coach can rise to be succesful I think w/o coming in as a high profile guy. I think someone who can restore pride in these players, Like Snyder did at K-state, would be the best choice. I do not know who that is per say, but that would be my answer.

I tried to explain this in a separate post last night to a fellow BGP'er, but I think I was a bit unclear. Football I think is different. A coach can rise to be succesful I think w/o coming in as a high profile guy. I think someone who can restore pride in these players, Like Snyder did at K-state, would be the best choice. I do not know who that is per say, but that would be my answer.

Yeah. Pride is the issue at hand... :lol:

I saw today that one guy UK has contacted has asked UK to put it in writing that they will make a commitment to facilities and other things needed to further the program. I think Mitch is going to make a big hire and dish out the money to do so. He knows if he doesn't, his job will become in question.

Good idea.

Much like basketball elite recruiters end up at elite programs. That eliminates UK from the conversation...

We need a poll in this thread on who UK fans would want (realistically) as the coach next season.

Good idea.

Ask and you shall receive.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/college-football/who-do-you-244030-page2.html

One problem (a good problem) is that if the next coach is a success, then he'll be gone to a better job in 3-4 years anyway. However, the program would then be in much better shape obviously. I doubt if any of the men whose names have been bandied about so far would consider UK anything but a stepping-stone job. Schnellenberger might have been the lone exception but he's way too old. Solich maybe. UK football is mediocre at best for the same reason USA soccer is bad----people just don't care enough.

One problem (a good problem) is that if the next coach is a success, then he'll be gone to a better job in 3-4 years anyway. However, the program would then be in much better shape obviously. I doubt if any of the men whose names have been bandied about so far would consider UK anything but a stepping-stone job. Schnellenberger might have been the lone exception but he's way too old. Solich maybe. UK football is mediocre at best for the same reason USA soccer is bad----people just don't care enough.

I think the wrong people care(the fans). I think the right people who can make a difference(administration) will show how much they care going forward.

Don't let the lack of attendance ths year make you believe UK fans don't care. They are dying for a winning football team. Remember how we were during 2007 when we were beating UofL and LSU and had GameDay on campus? The fans stayed away this year for the fact this is a bad 1-9 football team with a coach they had grown tired of. If UK makes the proper commitment to football and gets the $100 million grant for an upgrade to facilities, the right coach will want to stay here.

Don't let the lack of attendance ths year make you believe UK fans don't care. They are dying for a winning football team. Remember how we were during 2007 when we were beating UofL and LSU and had GameDay on campus? The fans stayed away this year for the fact this is a bad 1-9 football team with a coach they had grown tired of. If UK makes the proper commitment to football and gets the $100 million grant for an upgrade to facilities, the right coach will want to stay here.

Dang right! My 2nd vote is for that pirate in your avatar!!