Enes Kanter appeal

SportsGuy41017

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really just isn't fair that A father who shops his kid around is found eligible because it was his dad doing it, but a kid who's parents turn down money and don't use anything is ruled ineligible, at least rule both ineligible because it makes the NCAA look like an even bigger joke than they already are.

Really just isn't fair that A father who shops his kid around is found eligible because it was his dad doing it, but a kid who's parents turn down money and don't use anything is ruled ineligible, at least rule both ineligible because it makes the NCAA look like an even bigger joke than they already are.

The money they turned down is still in their bank account isn't it? Newton will be found ineligible most likely at some point. His Heisman will be stripped and Auburn will go from 13-0 to 0-13. Just a matter of time. Meanwhile your post got me thinking........if they knew they were getting 33,033 dollars extra for expenses why accept it in the first place? Whether they knew it would mess up his eligibility or not, if you know you are getting extra cash for your services and you accept it, whether you try to give it back or not, you are in the wrong. Am I wrong in this assessment?

The money they turned down is still in their bank account isn't it? Newton will be found ineligible most likely at some point. His Heisman will be stripped and Auburn will go from 13-0 to 0-13. Just a matter of time. Meanwhile your post got me thinking........if they knew they were getting 33,033 dollars extra for expenses why accept it in the first place? Whether they knew it would mess up his eligibility or not, if you know you are getting extra cash for your services and you accept it, whether you try to give it back or not, you are in the wrong. Am I wrong in this assessment?

I'm not sure how banking in Turkey works, but I'd doubt it's too much different than here in the US. I'd also bet that the Turkey club knew what would give the NCAA fits and what wouldn't, more so than Kanter's parents. In addition to that, if I get a hold of your checking account info I can deposit money in to your account no matter what. You won't be able to stop it, and it'll be hard to explain later if someone questions the reason as to why. What I'm getting at, is if the money is still there, just sitting, doesn't that sounds like miscommunication, or some mistake on the clubs part? It'd be different if the money had been used or if they refused to give the money back. It's their, let him give it back and it be forgiven. Why not let him give the money back?

I'm not sure how banking in Turkey works, but I'd doubt it's too much different than here in the US. I'd also bet that the Turkey club knew what would give the NCAA fits and what wouldn't, more so than Kanter's parents. In addition to that, if I get a hold of your checking account info I can deposit money in to your account no matter what. You won't be able to stop it, and it'll be hard to explain later if someone questions the reason as to why. What I'm getting at, is if the money is still there, just sitting, doesn't that sounds like miscommunication, or some mistake on the clubs part? It'd be different if the money had been used or if they refused to give the money back. It's their, let him give it back and it be forgiven. Why not let him give the money back?

I hear you and that is logical. I'll pose this then.....Turkey Team deposits the money into their account. They notice it but think nothing of it because they are so comfortable financially that they can spend it and pay it back if needed because they have that kind of money in the bank. Everyone says they didn't need the 33,033(as if need makes it acceptable) so they must have that kind of cash and paying it back can be construed as 'we never touched it' which can be translated into 'we can pay it back today straight cash if it makes him eligible'. That makes me wonder why they didn't call the NCAA as soon as the extra money was noticed if their intentions were for Enes to play college bball. If his dad is a doctor he had to have been smart enough to know he should have withdrew that money ASAP and alerted the NCAA immediately. At the very least it would have helped his case.

This is fun. It males me wonder what kind of investigating the NCAA did.

Very well explained by DeCourcy. Now if only the hearing committee will use common sense and fairness in their judgement. I guess we'll know later today. If they rule him ineligible they and the NCAA are going to take a lot of heat from the media for the duration of the basketball season. Bilas and Vitale will probably mention it quite often, as well as others.

Plus it will be a precedent setting ruling. If I were the Kanters and he is ruled ineligible I would wait to see if similar cases with European players are ruled differently in the future, and if so, sue the NCAA for a large amount of money. They would have a very good case imo.

Yes, you're dead wrong.

$20,000 of that money was used for education expenses, which is okay by the NCAA. The other $13,000 has never been touched, and they've tried to give it back, but the Turkish team won't accept it back. They weren't wrong in taking the money, because it was supposed to be used to cover the necessary expenses, which is allowed. Once those were covered, they attempted return the excess. Not sure how that's wrong?

Very well explained by DeCourcy. Now if only the hearing committee will use common sense and fairness in their judgement. I guess we'll know later today. If they rule him ineligible they and the NCAA are going to take a lot of heat from the media for the duration of the basketball season. Bilas and Vitale will probably mention it quite often, as well as others.http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3974974

Plus it will be a precedent setting ruling. If I were the Kanters and he is ruled ineligible I would wait to see if similar cases with European players are ruled differently in the future, and if so, sue the NCAA for a large amount of money. They would have a very good case imo.

:thumb:

Meanwhile your post got me thinking........if they knew they were getting 33,033 dollars extra for expenses why accept it in the first place? Whether they knew it would mess up his eligibility or not, if you know you are getting extra cash for your services and you accept it, whether you try to give it back or not, you are in the wrong. Am I wrong in this assessment?

My guess is that the money was distributed before the actual costs were incurred (so they didn't know what the actual expenses would be). They used the money to pay the actual expenses, and then tried to the return the excess.

The numbers I keep hearing are $30,000 too much, of which $20,000 was actually used for education. That leaves $10,000 which is still sitting in a bank account.

Not sure how this is worse than taking money from an agent.