Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Enes Kanter appeal

Featured Replies

Yes, you're dead wrong.

 

$20,000 of that money was used for education expenses, which is okay by the NCAA. The other $13,000 has never been touched, and they've tried to give it back, but the Turkish team won't accept it back. They weren't wrong in taking the money, because it was supposed to be used to cover the necessary expenses, which is allowed. Once those were covered, they attempted return the excess. Not sure how that's wrong?

 

Thanks, that helps. My next question is when they received the money for education expenses and found the extra 13,000 did they know he was going to play in the NCAA? Could they not have reported it to the NCAA immediately and not go through this mess or were they not certain where he would play when they received the extra money? Would that make a difference in perception(to the NCAA) as to how the money was going to spent or used?

  • Replies 337
  • Views 43.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guess is that the money was distributed before the actual costs were incurred (so they didn't know what the actual expenses would be). They used the money to pay the actual expenses, and then tried to the return the excess.

 

The numbers I keep hearing are $30,000 too much, of which $20,000 was actually used for education. That leaves $10,000 which is still sitting in a bank account.

 

Not sure how this is worse than taking money from an agent.

 

My guess is because it came from a pro team in a sport he is trying to play as an amateur. Either way, both should render you ineligible forever but nowadays an agent can pay a kid and the kid only get 9 game suspensions so I understand your frustration. I don't think the NCAA will ever be able to be a consistent governing body. It is shameful really to think these guys make all of this money off of the kids and spend most of their time screwing all this kids over.

Thanks, that helps. My next question is when they received the money for education expenses and found the extra 13,000 did they know he was going to play in the NCAA? Could they not have reported it to the NCAA immediately and not go through this mess or were they not certain where he would play when they received the extra money? Would that make a difference in perception(to the NCAA) as to how the money was going to spent or used?

 

They probably weren't too sure about how the NCAA works. As far as I can tell from everything that's out there, they kept very detailed records of all funds received and their purpose, so as not to lose his eligibilty. My thoughts are, they received the money for schooling, and didn't know what to do with the extra money. They knew they weren't allowed to spend it, but I really believe they felt that just keeping it untouched in an account was not anything that would jeopardize Enes' eligibility. To me, they made an honest mistake, and a very easily correctable one at that. JMO.

My guess is because it came from a pro team in a sport he is trying to play as an amateur. Either way, both should render you ineligible forever but nowadays an agent can pay a kid and the kid only get 9 game suspensions so I understand your frustration. I don't think the NCAA will ever be able to be a consistent governing body. It is shameful really to think these guys make all of this money off of the kids and spend most of their time screwing all this kids over.

 

Again, the pro team and the amateur team are the same organization. Blurs the lines considerably, especially if the money was used for education (which is an allowable expense, IIRC).

My guess is because it came from a pro team in a sport he is trying to play as an amateur. Either way, both should render you ineligible forever but nowadays an agent can pay a kid and the kid only get 9 game suspensions so I understand your frustration. I don't think the NCAA will ever be able to be a consistent governing body. It is shameful really to think these guys make all of this money off of the kids and spend most of their time screwing all this kids over.

 

Does that mean he would be eligible to play baseball or any other sport besides Basketball?

Doyel claims he was told the ruling will NOT be today.

Doyel claims he was told the ruling will NOT be today.

 

 

Roy Williams called crying asking that the ruling be held off until at least 3pm Saturday. :lol::lol:

  • Author
they kept very detailed records of all funds received
I wonder what detailed records Selby kept of the over 5 grand that allowed him to be eligible. :rolleyes:

 

Here you have a kid and his family that tried to do everything right, and kept records to prove it! They didn't understand the NCAA rules, Heck, none of us even understand how they are interpreted by the NCAA! The Kanter's did not deliberately do anything wrong, NO ONE can say that about Selby! EVERY kid knows you cannot take money from an agent, but he did, and it was deliberate! And he doesn't even have to pay that money back himself, KU is able to do it for him?

 

Also, does anyone honestly believe that Rev Newton started shopping around his son around recently? I wonder what he asked from Florida a few years ago?

Does that mean he would be eligible to play baseball or any other sport besides Basketball?

 

Yes. Chris Wenke who played QB for FSU when they beat Vick and VT in the national title game played for years in minor league baseball.

They probably weren't too sure about how the NCAA works. As far as I can tell from everything that's out there, they kept very detailed records of all funds received and their purpose, so as not to lose his eligibilty. My thoughts are, they received the money for schooling, and didn't know what to do with the extra money. They knew they weren't allowed to spend it, but I really believe they felt that just keeping it untouched in an account was not anything that would jeopardize Enes' eligibility. To me, they made an honest mistake, and a very easily correctable one at that. JMO.

 

The bolded nails it.

KySportsRadio

 

Having talked to @greggdoyelcbs, his source is impeccable on this and the fact that source is pessimistic on Enes ruling makes me quite sad

KySportsRadio

 

Having talked to @greggdoyelcbs, his source is impeccable on this and the fact that source is pessimistic on Enes ruling makes me quite sad

 

 

greggdoyelcbs Gregg Doyel

 

@KySportsRadio And finally, my guy doesn't know what the ruling will be, but sounds pessimistic. (Sorry, Matt, to use you like this)

 

 

 

Gregg Doyel

greggdoyelcbs Gregg Doyel

 

@KySportsRadio UK folks, I know the 48-hour deal, but my guy says no Enes ruling today. My guy could be wrong, but that would be .... weird

 

 

Gregg Doyel

greggdoyelcbs Gregg Doyel

 

@KySportsRadio Enes appeal ruling not coming today. That's what I was told. Why is everyone going nuts TODAY?

I'm sick of "sources" on this.

 

The only thing that people know is that the NCAA ruled him ineligible; that he accepted about $30,000 worth of money; and that an appeal occurred yesterday. Why would someone leak the results of a pending appeal? Oh that's right, they wouldn't. Saying he'll that the judgement will be affirmed and Enes will be permanently ineligible is taking the safe bet & hoping to say "I told you so" later.

The longer the ruling takes the better it looks for UK in my opinion.

 

After alot of thought, Kanter shouldn't be allowed to play in my opinion. I hope he gets to play, but by rule, I don't think he should be allowed. I also don't believe Selby should be playing.

 

I understand what Kanters intentions were. I also understand that he or his family accepted money from a pro team.

 

If I intend not to run a red light, but run the red light for whatever reason, it doesn't change the facts that I committed a traffic violation regardless of what my intentions were.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.