Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Enes Kanter appeal

Featured Replies

They are going to wait long enough so he can't play in the UNC game. :D

  • Replies 337
  • Views 43.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if the appeal was announced today & Kanter was ruled eligible, I'd imagine he'll have to serve a suspension. I find it very unlikely that he'd be ruled eligible & permitted to play immediately.

Even if the appeal was announced today & Kanter was ruled eligible, I'd imagine he'll have to serve a suspension. I find it very unlikely that he'd be ruled eligible & permitted to play immediately.

 

I would imagine the games he has missed already would count to that.

The longer the ruling takes the better it looks for UK in my opinion.

 

After alot of thought, Kanter shouldn't be allowed to play in my opinion. I hope he gets to play, but by rule, I don't think he should be allowed. I also don't believe Selby should be playing.

 

I understand what Kanters intentions were. I also understand that he or his family accepted money from a pro team.

 

If I intend not to run a red light, but run the red light for whatever reason, it doesn't change the facts that I committed a traffic violation regardless of what my intentions were.

 

True, but you might also get off with a warning.:idunno:

I would imagine the games he has missed already would count to that.

 

Yes, they would count towards the suspension; however, he'd be suspended for more than 6 games...

They probably weren't too sure about how the NCAA works. As far as I can tell from everything that's out there, they kept very detailed records of all funds received and their purpose, so as not to lose his eligibilty. My thoughts are, they received the money for schooling, and didn't know what to do with the extra money. They knew they weren't allowed to spend it, but I really believe they felt that just keeping it untouched in an account was not anything that would jeopardize Enes' eligibility. To me, they made an honest mistake, and a very easily correctable one at that. JMO.

 

The bolded nails it.

 

I agree. It makes much more sense to me now. Thank you. That is the best argument I have heard for 'freeing Enes'.

 

I hope he gets to play but like MBWC41 says, neither he or Selby should be allowed to but I hope they both can.

The longer the ruling takes the better it looks for UK in my opinion.

 

After alot of thought, Kanter shouldn't be allowed to play in my opinion. I hope he gets to play, but by rule, I don't think he should be allowed. I also don't believe Selby should be playing.

 

I understand what Kanters intentions were. I also understand that he or his family accepted money from a pro team.

 

If I intend not to run a red light, but run the red light for whatever reason, it doesn't change the facts that I committed a traffic violation regardless of what my intentions were.

 

All you "pro team!!!" people don't like to consider that the "pro team!!!" also runs amateur club teams, and the NCAA specifically made it OK to play on the "pro teams!!!" as long as you're not paid in excess of expenses.

 

Your red light analogy is terrible. If you want to use traffic analogies, its like getting a ticket in New York because you drove on the left hand side of the road.... in London.

If I intend not to run a red light, but run the red light for whatever reason, it doesn't change the facts that I committed a traffic violation regardless of what my intentions were.

 

But the powers-that-be (i.e. an officer or judge) have the ability to look at your situation and see whether it might be unique. Perhaps your wife was pregnant and you were in a hurry. Or maybe you've had a clean record & are shown leniency, whereas a multiple offender doesn't receive such grace.

 

UK acknowledged that Kanter received funds. They agreed wholeheartedly with the NCAA's findings that Enes received $33,033 (your letter of the law example). The appeal has to do with what UK is calling the unique nature of the situation (my example of the pregnant wife or first-time offender).

But the powers-that-be (i.e. an officer or judge) have the ability to look at your situation and see whether it might be unique. Perhaps your wife was pregnant and you were in a hurry. Or maybe you've had a clean record & are shown leniency, whereas a multiple offender doesn't receive such grace.

 

UK acknowledged that Kanter received funds. They agreed wholeheartedly with the NCAA's findings that Enes received $33,033 (your letter of the law example). The appeal has to do with what UK is calling the unique nature of the situation (my example of the pregnant wife or first-time offender).

 

I think his point is that even with his set of unique circumstances, he broke the rule, therefore, while they most certainly could show leniency, if they choose to uphold the ineligible ruling, it's not something that should really be complained about. A rule was broken, whether intentionally or not.

 

It's for that reason that while I think Kanter should be allowed to play, and I want him to play, if he can't I won't be upset about it.

  • Author
The longer the ruling takes the better it looks for UK in my opinion.

 

After alot of thought, Kanter shouldn't be allowed to play in my opinion. I hope he gets to play, but by rule, I don't think he should be allowed. I also don't believe Selby should be playing.

 

I understand what Kanters intentions were. I also understand that he or his family accepted money from a pro team.

 

If I intend not to run a red light, but run the red light for whatever reason, it doesn't change the facts that I committed a traffic violation regardless of what my intentions were.

The NCAA has stated that they want to make it easier for European players to be able to come over and play. As mentioned MANY times, in Europe it is totally different!

 

I know many Euro players and I keep in close contact with just about 20 Euro players who do not live close to their families as they are in another town to train, play and go to school, these club teams pay for almost every expense, it's the culture over there and for a lot of the players their only option. Most of these club teams also have pro team, the NCAA even stated about a month ago that some of the Euro teams have been sending their good youth players up to the pro team, or a pro player down to a youth team to add games to the old NCAA 1=1 rule, which is for each game you play with a pro you sit one game at a U.S. college, in hopes the player decides it is not worth going to the U.S.

 

The NCAA now says it is okay to get paid by these club/pro teams for expenses, and a good number of the players have their schooling paid for as well, The Kanter's wanted private teachers, the NCAA had no problem with that either. The thing the NCAA is stuck up on is how the money was paid out, it was paid to the Kanter's and not directly to the educators. In the U.S. when a student gets a loan or grant, does all of that money go directly to the school or is the student responsible to pay at least some of that out?

 

If I am a parent I would want to decide who will teach my kid, I would not want someone else to decide as education is important to me. To make sure my kid got the education I wanted for them I would want to be the one who is 100% involved and responsible, including the pay for my kids educators, and if there is extra money I would give it back. This is what the Kanter's were doing, they did not touch the excess money and in fact tried to give it back, but Fenerbance would not take it back.

 

What about some of these private/boarding schools in the U.S.? Many of these players there get their education paid for, but they are okay to play?

 

If the NCAA wants good Euro players, by ruling in favor of making Enes eligible they will not only be doing the right thing, they will be sending a message to the club/pro teams in Europe that they will not be pushed around and that the clubs will not ruin these kids dreams. If Enes is not able to play, these clubs will see they can prevent these kids from coming over, and these clubs will only get worse.

 

And regards to the running a red light, what if you came here from a culture where there were no red lights ect, how would you know what the red light meant? Is the U.S. going to forbid you to ever drive again in this country?

  • Author
I'm sick of "sources" on this.

 

The only thing that people know is that the NCAA ruled him ineligible; that he accepted about $30,000 worth of money; and that an appeal occurred yesterday. Why would someone leak the results of a pending appeal? Oh that's right, they wouldn't. Saying he'll that the judgement will be affirmed and Enes will be permanently ineligible is taking the safe bet & hoping to say "I told you so" later.

I agree! Now maybe someone has information that the committee did not meet today, if their is any "sources" that will be about it!

 

As mentioned before, just like the NCAA ruling, this will be up to UK to release the information. Let's say the ruling already came down and UK knows about it, then UK could sit on it until they board the plane tonight to head to UNC if they wanted, not letting UNC know until the last minute that they will have Kanter. When the ruling comes down there will be no "inside source", UK will be informed and they will quickly tell Enes before anyone else knows anything!

The NCAA has stated that they want to make it easier for European players to be able to come over and play. As mentioned MANY times, in Europe it is totally different!

 

I know many Euro players and I keep in close contact with just about 20 Euro players who do not live close to their families as they are in another town to train, play and go to school, these club teams pay for almost every expense, it's the culture over there and for a lot of the players their only option. Most of these club teams also have pro team, the NCAA even stated about a month ago that some of the Euro teams have been sending their good youth players up to the pro team, or a pro player down to a youth team to add games to the old NCAA 1=1 rule, which is for each game you play with a pro you sit one game at a U.S. college, in hopes the player decides it is not worth going to the U.S.

 

The NCAA now says it is okay to get paid by these club/pro teams for expenses, and a good number of the players have their schooling paid for as well, The Kanter's wanted private teachers, the NCAA had no problem with that either. The thing the NCAA is stuck up on is how the money was paid out, it was paid to the Kanter's and not directly to the educators. In the U.S. when a student gets a loan or grant, does all of that money go directly to the school or is the student responsible to pay at least some of that out?

 

If I am a parent I would want to decide who will teach my kid, I would not want someone else to decide as education is important to me. To make sure my kid got the education I wanted for them I would want to be the one who is 100% involved and responsible, including the pay for my kids educators, and if there is extra money I would give it back. This is what the Kanter's were doing, they did not touch the excess money and in fact tried to give it back, but Fenerbance would not take it back.

What about some of these private/boarding schools in the U.S.? Many of these players there get their education paid for, but they are okay to play?

 

If the NCAA wants good Euro players, by ruling in favor of making Enes eligible they will not only be doing the right thing, they will be sending a message to the club/pro teams in Europe that they will not be pushed around and that the clubs will not ruin these kids dreams. If Enes is not able to play, these clubs will see they can prevent these kids from coming over, and these clubs will only get worse.

 

And regards to the running a red light, what if you came here from a culture where there were no red lights ect, how would you know what the red light meant? Is the U.S. going to forbid you to ever drive again in this country?

 

 

Not if the private/boarding school gives them more money than the allowable amount(room and boarding) and it can be proven that they gave more than the allowable amount(room and boarding).

All you "pro team!!!" people don't like to consider that the "pro team!!!" also runs amateur club teams, and the NCAA specifically made it OK to play on the "pro teams!!!" as long as you're not paid in excess of expenses.

 

Your red light analogy is terrible. If you want to use traffic analogies, its like getting a ticket in New York because you drove on the left hand side of the road.... in London.

 

 

And he was paid in excess of the expenses, correct?

Not if the private/boarding school gives them more money than the allowable amount(room and boarding) and it can be proven that they gave more than the allowable amount(room and boarding).

 

Right, since I am sure that doesn't happen.

And he was paid in excess of the expenses, correct?

 

Agreed (about $10,000 of the $30,000 in contention, IIRC). And that money hasn't' been used, and has been offered to be repaid. In similar situations (Josh Selby), the NCAA has suspended the person a number of games and required the money to be paid back. Thats all anyone is expecting. To rule Enes permanently ineligible seems to fly in the face of past precedents. If other players had been ruled permanently ineligible in the past, nobody would have an argument.

 

This case seems even more open to leniency since the player and family intended to follow the rules, where other cases the guilty parties have taken money knowing it was not allowed.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.