December 3, 201015 yr http://gregg-doyel.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/26210048 I'm reading about Cam Newton, but I'm thinking about Enes Kanter. I'm reading about Josh Selby, but thinking about Enes Kanter. Reading about? Renardo Sydney. But thinking about? Enes Kanter. Those were all athlete-affirmative rulings by the NCAA. Newton's father was trying to cheat but couldn't consummate the deal, and anyway, Newton didn't know. So he can play for Auburn. Terrific, sincerely. Love that ruling. Selby was driving around in someone else's Mercedes, and ultimately Selby was found to have received almost $5,000 in extra benefits from Carmelo Anthony's business manager, but the NCAA decided that the business manager was a longtime friend of the family and not a scuzzball. So Selby will be able to play for Kansas in a few weeks, and that's great. Sidney is the Mississippi State basketball recruit whose family received so many thousands of dollars -- almost $12,000 -- that he was sidelined the entire 2009-10 season. But after that year suspension, and after missing a portion of this season, he'll eventually be able to play -- even though he misled NCAA investigators. And I say, fine. Sidney and his parents made huge mistakes, but the kid paid a huge penalty. Good for him that he can play. But what about Enes Kanter? What about him ? Kanter's father was the one who received the money from the Turkish national team, not Kanter himself. Enes had no idea what was coming in, or where it was going. He never saw the money, and anyway, the money was reimbursement for travel expenses, and coverage of educational expenditures. Not a Mercedes. Not clothes. Not cash.
December 3, 201015 yr The new information thing is really strange. Not sure what I think of it. Maybe they found a fax in Tubby's old desk saying Enes intended to keep his amateur status?
December 3, 201015 yr Maybe the new information is the ruling the NCAA just handed down in football...You know, the Cam Newton defense...
December 3, 201015 yr How do they all of a sudden get new info after all these months? It's time to move on. Time to move on? Why shouldn't Kentucky at least give it a shot? They're already in pretty deep. It'd be stupid to give up now.
December 3, 201015 yr Welp it'll be a while before we get another decision... I don't think it will matter too much. Kanter is going to be suspended for a significant portion of the season regardless...
December 3, 201015 yr If Kanter is suspended for the whole season, but allowed to play next year, what are the chances he'll stick around? I'd guess not very high, but that would make for the best recruiting class EVER.
December 3, 201015 yr If Kanter is suspended for the whole season, but allowed to play next year, what are the chances he'll stick around? I'd guess not very high, but that would make for the best recruiting class EVER. Might depend on the NBA labor situation. Anyway... he obviously turned down money before. Why not again?
December 3, 201015 yr If Kanter is suspended for the whole season, but allowed to play next year, what are the chances he'll stick around? I'd guess not very high, but that would make for the best recruiting class EVER. Kanter puzzles me. I don't understand why a guy would pass on the money he did and put the effort and time in that they have to try to play in college and only stick around for one season. Why wouldn't you just start making cash ASAP and then go straight to the NBA? I'm not convinced he'd leave after a season just based on how much he seems to want to play in college.
December 3, 201015 yr I am sure it is something worth looking at or they wouldn't have done it. Why move on if you can get him eligible? :thumb: Absolutely. I'd exhaust all my options, within the rules, to get this guy on the court. And, if you step away from what it means for UK's team, I don't think you're doing right by this kid if you don't exhaust every possibility to get him eligible. How would you feel if you knew there was another chance and the team just said, "Time to move on." UK loses nothing in this process. It would be different if there was some penalty for appealing the decision.
December 3, 201015 yr The "new information" is nothing more than the NCAA's new interpretation of the rule at question in the Cam Newton saga. Essentially, UK's going to re-defend its position in context with the Newton case. UK had its hearing Wednesday in the AM. NCAA ruled on Newton Wednesday in the PM. Actually, I think Cal touched on this as early as the ETSU game. In the post-game, he stated something to the affect of, "Enes did not take a dime. His father did. He was 14-16-years-old and his father was handling his affairs."
December 3, 201015 yr :thumb: Absolutely. I'd exhaust all my options, within the rules, to get this guy on the court. And, if you step away from what it means for UK's team, I don't think you're doing right by this kid if you don't exhaust every possibility to get him eligible. How would you feel if you knew there was another chance and the team just said, "Time to move on." UK loses nothing in this process. It would be different if there was some penalty for appealing the decision. Absolutely agree!
December 3, 201015 yr Andy Katz (a.k.a. Calipari's media mouthpiece) nails it down right here: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5880507
December 4, 201015 yr And the Saga Continues..... I smell a hollywood movie about this one day. It's going to have the following quote on the box. "Just let the kids play. - Bad News Bears II"
December 4, 201015 yr I think its a nice statement to the Ncaa that they need to get consistant with their findings. I would have no problem believing Cam didnt know what was going on if he hadnt changed his mind and went to Miss State anyway. The question I have is are the two cases close enough to compare, time will tell I guess.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.