December 12, 201015 yr So the guys doing the commentating for the UK game today didn't seem to think that the outlook was good for Kanter's reinstatement. Vitale was going on with "It doesn't look good" comments about the Kanter case before the NCAA ruled on it the first time and he hasn't changed since except to say the kid should be allowed to play. I don't think he has any more inside info on the present status of the case than anyone else. He's just mouthing his opinion. I believe he will be ruled eligible in the near future. I don't think the NCAA has much of a choice after the Newton decision. If they do rule him ineligible I would sue the NCAA for a LOT of money if I were the Kanters. Holding a a kid who was under 18 at the time responsible for financial decisions made by his parents is wrong imo. And based on their ruling on Newton it would also be wrong.
December 12, 201015 yr Vitale was going on with "It doesn't look good" comments about the Kanter case before the NCAA ruled on it the first time and he hasn't changed since except to say the kid should be allowed to play. I don't think he has any more inside info on the present status of the case than anyone else. He's just mouthing his opinion. I believe he will be ruled eligible in the near future. I don't think the NCAA has much of a choice after the Newton decision. If they do rule him ineligible I would sue the NCAA for a LOT of money if I were the Kanters. Holding a a kid who was under 18 at the time responsible for financial decisions made by his parents is wrong imo. And based on their ruling on Newton it would also be wrong. Unfortunately though that would require the NCAA to want to "do the right thing" and they've proven several times that they could care less.
December 12, 201015 yr Author Vitale was going on with "It doesn't look good" comments about the Kanter case before the NCAA ruled on it the first time and he hasn't changed since except to say the kid should be allowed to play. I don't think he has any more inside info on the present status of the case than anyone else. He's just mouthing his opinion. I agree with you, it's just his opinion. But talk about riding both sides of the fence on an issue so you are not wrong whatever happens, "It doesn't look good" and "The kid should be allowed to play".
December 12, 201015 yr Is it safe to say that Auburn will be stripped of a National Championship if they beat Oregon? I smell a Memphis situation coming a mile away....... I don't feel that way. I just don't think they've closed the book on this one. If something else comes up, they might re-visit the situation.
December 12, 201015 yr Is it safe to say that Auburn will be stripped of a National Championship if they beat Oregon? I smell a Memphis situation coming a mile away....... If Auburn wins the title then I don't think there is any way that happens. Just like I think the NCAA might have let the Rose thing go away if they had won the title. I just don't see the NCAA to interested in doing things to a team who won the title.
December 13, 201015 yr If Auburn wins the title then I don't think there is any way that happens. Just like I think the NCAA might have let the Rose thing go away if they had won the title. I just don't see the NCAA to interested in doing things to a team who won the title. But didn't they just penalize USC?
December 13, 201015 yr But didn't they just penalize USC?They (USC) penalized Reggie Bush, but no wins were stripped by the NCAA. All punishment was in the reduction of scholarships, missing Bowl games, and being on probation.
December 13, 201015 yr They (USC) penalized Reggie Bush, but no wins were stripped by the NCAA. All punishment was in the reduction of scholarships, missing Bowl games, and being on probation. I thought the matter of stripped wins was still under consideration. If not, I stand corrected.
December 13, 201015 yr If Auburn wins the title then I don't think there is any way that happens. Just like I think the NCAA might have let the Rose thing go away if they had won the title. I just don't see the NCAA to interested in doing things to a team who won the title. I agree. UCLA has a few titles under the same status as well. None of the Sam Gilbert funded championships were ever tampered with by the NCAA.
December 13, 201015 yr I thought the matter of stripped wins was still under consideration. If not, I stand corrected. It may be. future's post may have merit though.
December 13, 201015 yr All I have to say and this comment actually makes the Enes case seem even slightly sillier in my opinion, when did college become less about getting a good education and more about promoting your athletic ablities as a jumping board to professional sports? Cam Newton never had any aspirations of a great education. Heck many of the greatest athletes of high school sports don't really care about the academic benefits of the colleges. Requirements are just low enough to get into the right programs (yes even my beloved UK) and with the right people around you and the proper schedule you can make it just long enough at a school just till you are ready to jump for the big time. When was going to school not about going to school? Maybe its just a sign of the changing economy where Entertainment is our biggest money making industry and a college degree isn't really required to make money. Heck, now days a college degree is hardly a guarantee of having a job post graduation.
December 13, 201015 yr All I have to say and this comment actually makes the Enes case seem even slightly sillier in my opinion, when did college become less about getting a good education and more about promoting your athletic ablities as a jumping board to professional sports? Cam Newton never had any aspirations of a great education. Heck many of the greatest athletes of high school sports don't really care about the academic benefits of the colleges. Requirements are just low enough to get into the right programs (yes even my beloved UK) and with the right people around you and the proper schedule you can make it just long enough at a school just till you are ready to jump for the big time. When was going to school not about going to school? Maybe its just a sign of the changing economy where Entertainment is our biggest money making industry and a college degree isn't really required to make money. Heck, now days a college degree is hardly a guarantee of having a job post graduation. When 100,000 people show up to watch a science experiment or a spelling bee it will be about academics. In all seriousness for every Cam Newton on Auburns team how many are actually graduating? I would guess the majority. And without football most of those kids probably wouldn't be able to go to college and get a degree. I think you take the good with the bad.
December 13, 201015 yr Congrats Scam Newton lol just kidding! FREE ENES is all I'm worried about! Go Big Blue!
December 15, 201015 yr Hard to believe its taking this long to see a decision issued. They ruled on Cam Newton in like 2 days. If the Newton ruling is the new info, why so long?
December 15, 201015 yr Hard to believe its taking this long to see a decision issued. They ruled on Cam Newton in like 2 days. If the Newton ruling is the new info, why so long? Actually they ruled on Newton in about 8 hours which makes this all the more frustrating.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.