Quote the Coach

Ram

I know this is a football thread, but we didn't have a football team.

So here's mine.

Do you think you're Johnny Bench?

No sir....

Neither does anyone else......

But could you try to throw out the runners that look like they are pushing a loaded wheelbarrow on their way to second?

Edited by True blue (and gold)

Heard other coaches say these.

Talking about a RB tip toeing through the line. “Son, you look like you’re running through a field of balloons and you’re afraid to pop one”

Oline coach on splits. “You can tell your girlfriend that’s six inches but we all know better”

This one from a Campbell County scrimmage at Tates Creek in the late 80's. The JV teams were in and Coach Walton from TC called the players from both sides together like he would often do during scrimmages to tell them what they did or didn't do wrong. He looked at us and quietly said: "Boys, that side judge over there (he looked over and pointed at him) cost me a playoff game last year. We are going to run a sweep at him and I want all of you to try to hit him." The official knew something was up and as the play started and all 22 of us ran at him, he turned and ran off the field. Coach Walton was laughing like crazy.

Walton was a character. If one of his guys got beat on a play, he'd ask both teams to line up and then he'd ask our player that just beat his guy what his name was. He'd then look at his player and would say: "Meet (name), he just kicked your tail!"

Edited by Runcible Owl
Rule 8

Playing QB in HS for Coach Larry French at Mercer Co HS:

One day in practice, I tuck the ball and run it on a called pass play. I get back to the huddle. Coach French says, “ David, did you feel the earth start to shake under your feet?” I say ,”No sir.” He says, “ until you do, I don’t want you to run the ball. “

Also, on Toss Sweep, the QB would toss the ball and then lead block around the edge. When I did that as a senior, Coach French told me after I pitch the ball to stand back and cheer.

I was slow and not much of an athlete. Lol.

Our QB was known to throw the "look out" block.

55RedDog aint that the truth. I'v heard some great ones from him. And Coach Morris just plain could not speak when he got mad. That was the funniest thing to us when he was mad he would just jumble words up. Thought he was having a stroke sometimes.

Edited by cardinal89

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a basketball one...was playing in a gameand got 2 fouls called in the 1st 3 min. of the game and the coach took me out and motioned for me to cone to the end of the bench.."I know you're just a sophomore, and I don't know if anybody has told you this before but son, you only get 5 fouls in a game..try to spread them out a little."

• 2 years later...

I was just texting with one of my buddies who I talk football with, and brought up the mantra we used to hear from one of our O-line coaches, Barry Jones, when we were hitting the sled...

"Do it right, do it light. Do it wrong, do it long."

Funny, I never remember hearing him say that when we were "doing it right". It was always one of the times when we made multiple trips pushing the sled up down the entire length of the outfield wall on the baseball field where we practiced.