Quote the Coach

Ram

University of Texas coach Darrell Royal. But, it's often said that Woody Hayes said it too.

Former Raceland coach Larry Heck also used that one (3 things can happen when you throw the ball,,,,,,)

Dang it son!!! You are going to fumble my job away

During grass drills in the heat of summer....."you gotta love em men"

Should we score, we might win.....Should they never score, we will never lose. Defense wins championships!

You would had beeen better off to have died at birth than to jump offsides on the goal line

Those were all used by Larry Heck, former Raceland coach, the last one was also from Woody Hayes.

One more and I heard Lou Holtz tell this when commenting one of one of his players speed to the player.

"son, if you entered a race with a pregnant woman then the best you would finish would be 3rd!"

Edited by oldrambler

While I know we are quoting football coaches, and this is a football forum, I can't help but quote possibly the greatest coach of all time, and a great teacher as well. John Wooden.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability. If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

And my favorite John Wooden Quote: Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

John Wooden

I had heard those and all are great.:thumb:

• 7 years later...

I was running down on kickoff and got caught in a wall return and got a clean lookout block on me, saw him at the last second next thing I know my feet were above my head and then I was on the ground. I got up and went to the sideline, my head was pounding and I felt sick. I went to my coach and said "Coach I don't feel so good" he replied " I bet he knocked the snot out of you!" and that was it, I went in the next series and played the rest of the game, that would never happen today. This was in 2004 things have changed quickly!

Edited by bugatti

A guy hurts his knee at practice. The coach says "Tape an aspirin to it and get back to work."

A poor offensive lineman missed an important block in a game and the coach is running the film at a film session the next day. He runs the missed block over and over, getting madder each time. He starts to run it again and says to the player "Michaels, if you miss this block this time, you're running all next practice."

After a play, my coach called a time out and came out to the huddle, looked me straight in the eye and said, "say 'pop'". I said "what?". He said, "say 'pop'". I said "pop". He said, "good now your head is out of your butt, lets play football". He then just walked off the field leaving us in the huddle.

During a scrimmage at football camp, our center and guard both missed a block resulting in a very small nose guard from the opponent tackling our running back for a loss. As our coach requested that we line it back up to discuss, the following took place:

Coach our Center: "How much do you weigh?"

Center: "200, sir."

Coach to our Guard: "How much do you weigh?"

Guard: "210, sir."

Coach to the opponent noseguard: "Son, how much do you weigh?"

Nose guard: (in a very squeaky voice) "145, sir."

Coach: Son, you must be part wolverine!

Playing QB in HS for Coach Larry French at Mercer Co HS:

One day in practice, I tuck the ball and run it on a called pass play. I get back to the huddle. Coach French says, “ David, did you feel the earth start to shake under your feet?” I say ,”No sir.” He says, “ until you do, I don’t want you to run the ball. “

Also, on Toss Sweep, the QB would toss the ball and then lead block around the edge. When I did that as a senior, Coach French told me after I pitch the ball to stand back and cheer.

I was slow and not much of an athlete. Lol.