Adam Dunn - Team Leader

Clyde

I know this doesn't fit what many Reds fans believe (despite having no evidence). I found this quote interesting and not surprising.

"It would difficult," Stammen said. "The biggest thing, I think, would be in the clubhouse. He's such a resounding presence. He's not rah-rah, but he's a leader. We look up to him. We love having him on the team. Hopefully he'll be here for years to come."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/05/AR2010080500117.html

We always heard from Reds players what a great teammate he was yet all we read on here and hear from commentators is "clubhouse cancer."

I'm convinced its a style issue. Yes, his RISP was poor but the man produced consistently every year and showed up for every game. Yet, because he was stuck on bad teams he took the shots. His indifference bothered many and confused many into believing it showed on the field. "He doesn't hustle." Myth and style issue. 6'6 260 is never going to look like Ryan Freel running. Ask Mike Lieberthal if he plays hard.

So hats off to the Donkey.

And let the bashing once again begin.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because you're a guy. :lol: I know quite a few chicks that have had less than plesant experiences with him at bars and parties.

He is among the league leaders in strikeouts every season.

Seriously, I think Dunn would be held in much higher regard if he was playing on the '10 version of the Reds. 40/100 every year is no small task.

He is among the league leaders in strikeouts every season.

Seriously, I think Dunn would be held in much higher regard if he was playing on the '10 version of the Reds. 40/100 every year is no small task.

So ... you're saying his penchant for scoring and strikeouts extends to off-the-field activities, too?

I was never a big Dunn fan because it felt like he had no real intention of trying to get better. Yeah, he will give you homers, RBI's and draw walks, but his strikeout total, his defense and what seemed like a lack of ever doing the little things got to me. With that said, it would be interesting to see what he could do if he was on a really good team and surrounded by great or quality hitters.

Just for fun, here is the Reds lineup on August 6th, 2006, this was the last time the Reds were truly in any kind of playoff hunt this late in the year. These names should bring back some memories.

Phillips

Hatteberg

Griffey

Encarnacion

Dunn

Ross

Denorofia

Clayton

Lohse started that day, the Reds lost which dropped them to 57-54 on the year.

I was never a big Dunn fan because it felt like he had no real intention of trying to get better. Yeah, he will give you homers, RBI's and draw walks, but his strikeout total, his defense and what seemed like a lack of ever doing the little things got to me. .

Little things? Such as?

His defense was certainly not a strength but that's why he was in LF, correct? So in your mind would a .275/40/100/100 guy be worth $10M on this team this season? Or do you subscribe to the Lance McAlister unfounded theory of him being bad for the "culture" of the team?

There are different types of leaders. The Reds needed a strong-willed rah-rah guy who will hold people accountable, not a laid-back, fun-loving type. Now that the Reds have the former as the club's alpha male instead of the latter, the difference in the results are not surprising.

There are different types of leaders. The Reds needed a strong-willed rah-rah guy who will hold people accountable, not a laid-back, fun-loving type. Now that the Reds have the former as the club's alpha male instead of the latter, the difference in the results are not surprising.

Does the leader have to be your best player? Highest paid?

The leader of the current team is not rah-rah. Scott Rolen is laid back and quiet.

If the Reds lacked leadership or a certain type of leader how do we pick out whom to blame?

Does the leader have to be your best player? Highest paid?

The leader of the current team is not rah-rah. Scott Rolen is laid back and quiet.

If the Reds lacked leadership or a certain type of leader how do we pick out whom to blame?

Rolen is laid back? :confused:

He's always seemed incredibly intense to me...