Adam Dunn - Team Leader

Clyde

Does the leader have to be your best player? Highest paid?

The leader of the current team is not rah-rah. Scott Rolen is laid back and quiet.

If the Reds lacked leadership or a certain type of leader how do we pick out whom to blame?

Sure didn't seem like he was laid-back and quiet when I had an opportunity to watch up close recently. The guy oozes intensity.

As far as your other question, no, the leader doesn't necessarily have to be the best or highest-paid player. But in the absence of someone like Rolen who takes the bull by the horns, younger players are going to follow the example of the best/highest paid (Griffey, Dunn).

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure didn't seem like he was laid-back and quiet when I had an opportunity to watch up close recently. The guy oozes intensity.

As far as your other question, no, the leader doesn't necessarily have to be the best or highest-paid player. But in the absence of someone like Rolen who takes the bull by the horns, younger players are going to follow the example of the best/highest paid (Griffey, Dunn).

So if they followed Dunn's lead they would learn to show up and play every day like he did? 160 games per year?

I can possibly buy Griffey as a problem in the clubhouse. I don't buy it with Dunn.

So if they followed Dunn's lead they would learn to show up and play every day like he did? 160 games per year?

I can possibly buy Griffey as a problem in the clubhouse. I don't buy it with Dunn.

I'll side with the people who were in the clubhouse....Dunn and Griffey were not the leader types.

I'll side with the people who were in the clubhouse....Dunn and Griffey were not the leader types.

How many people have you talked to "in the clubhouse?"

Regardless, there's a difference in not being a leader and being a problem.

Little things? Such as?

His defense was certainly not a strength but that's why he was in LF, correct? So in your mind would a .275/40/100/100 guy be worth $10M on this team this season? Or do you subscribe to the Lance McAlister unfounded theory of him being bad for the "culture" of the team?

Dunn's career batting average with 2 outs and runners in scoring position.....wait for it...ready?

We have all watched the Reds this year, their starting pitching, Rolen, Votto get all the attention and rightfully so, but it's their ability to get that 2 out hit and drive runners in that has been a huge part of their success.

One might say, well you don't always have to drive a run in. I have a hard time recalling how many times Dunn got a runner over to 3rd with less than 2 outs. Those little things are what I'm referring to.

Who do you think Dunn learned his leadership style from? I don't think Dunn was a "problem" per se, but he wasn't the solution either.

Dunn's career batting average with 2 outs and runners in scoring position.....wait for it...ready?

We have all watched the Reds this year, their starting pitching, Rolen, Votto get all the attention and rightfully so, but it's their ability to get that 2 out hit and drive runners in that has been a huge part of their success.

One might say, well you don't always have to drive a run in. I have a hard time recalling how many times Dunn got a runner over to 3rd with less than 2 outs. Those little things are what I'm referring to.

Little things like the fact that a home-run hitter went something like a couple years without driving in a run via sac fly. That was one of the most exasperating things about him, and why I'm not sad he's gone.

RISP was never his strong point.

He hit 40 HRs seemingly every year. Can we agree that if he had better talent in front of him or behind him to protect him that he would have had more RBIs than he did? We conveniently ignore that fact that runners didn't get on in front of him enough. Lets look at the picture in its entirety .

Little things like the fact that a home-run hitter went something like a couple years without driving in a run via sac fly. That was one of the most exasperating things about him, and why I'm not sad he's gone.

I agree, that was another thing I thought about after I posted. It was baffling with his power and a runner at 3rd, he didn't get more sac flys.

I wasn't surprised when he was asking for big money after leaving Arizona, no team was willing to pay his asking price and he essentially had to settle for Washington. We shall see what happens this off season.