Grant County Head Coach Job

marvel

Nothing against Tim...but the way his situation ended at nearby Williamstown just a few years ago, will probably keep him out of the running IMO.

I don't think you really know how it ended. Mefford is a great Guy and a better coach. What he did at Williamstown is pretty impressive and most Coaches could never make it through it and for that long. He did MORE with less there but people don't see that because they just look at the scores not the talent. Grant Co would do it self good with a Coach like Mefford, he would be there thru thick and THIN!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will have to disagree. Since redistricting the 31st has been every bit the equal of the 29th if not better.

2007-Gallatin defeats Shelby for first regional win since 1959.

Henry loses in 1st round to Anderson by 1 point.

2008-Gallatin defeats Anderson and North Oldham and is 2 "phantom and-1"

calls from going to Sweet 16.

Owen falls to eventual champion Shelby in a game not decided until

the final 30 seconds.

2009- Henry defeats South Oldham and Owen beats Grant to advance to

semifinals where they lose to Shelby and Anderson.

2010-Gallatin defeats Walton-Verona and Owen beats Simon Kenton to

advance to semis where they lose to South Oldham and Shelby.

I might also add that the 2007 Daniel Neely led Owen Co. Rebels could have made a splash in

the regional, but fell to Gallatin in the district.

The 31st District takes a back seat to no one in the 8th Region. The Wildcats took off because they have had talented players and are usually the best passing team in the 8th.

Add that to the fact that nobody cares how many points a teammate may score. All they see is a blue or white jersey and if that player is open they will get the basketball more times than not.

Has there been a team in the 8th more fun to watch than Gallatin the last few years? I say not.

If i were the Athletic Director at Grant County after looking at this thread I would say the obvious choice would be one of John Jones from Gallatin assistants. They would know a formula that has proven to be successful.

Why would it have to be one of the assistants? What about Coach Jones himself :banana: He is a graduate of Grant and was a member of the state tournament team from 79!

Why would it have to be one of the assistants? What about Coach Jones himself :banana: He is a graduate of Grant and was a member of the state tournament team from 79!

Yeah i guess. Gallatin is in good shape and I don't see him leaving but you never know.

Former Pendleton County assistant coach Brad Cox is interested and would be a good choice.

[brad is a class act and if I was hiring he would be the man. He was at PC when they struggled, so I think that seems to be the same situation at Grant County. Good fit.

The fact is when he had players he won. He had a good stretch of talent and Grant won. Since they haven't had much. I'm sorry I am not trying to talk about kids here but to say he can't coach is just plain silly. He had 1 real nice team that got beat in the regional finals by Oldham. All the other stuff I don't know about or care really but to say he can't coach is to much.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think Grant to be a decent job. I would rank the Shelby's as 1 and 2, Oldhams 3,4,5 Simon and Anderson 6, 7 and Grant as the 8th best job in the region. Any job where you should go to the region every year has a shot at Rupp. Grant does not have a large city to support their talent pool. Shelbyville, Lagrange, Crestwood, Independence,and Lawrenceburg are going to attract and support players more than towns the size of Dry Ridge and Crittenden. Still, every 10 years, they will have a shot.