Grant County Head Coach Job

marvel

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't bother me what everyone says about me. I just let everyone hear what they don't want to hear. With Grant being a pretty good size school they should be better, bottom line! :thumb:

That is a sound point.

But,

For as big as they are,they have only 36 middle school basketball players because they have only one team at every grade level. They have one feeder school with only 36 kids. This trumps the size of the school and causes it to operate as if it were an A school.

Because it is Grant County. Am I missing something or is this a great job? Please advise

Grant County could be a good job. But, it is going to take a little time. I do agree they should have multiple teams in middle school. It would improve numbers and build a better foundation.

I don't think it's the elementary level that needs the improvement as much as the middle school. There are plenty of kids playing before they hit the 6th grade. The problem is so many of them are cut at 6th grade tryouts. I think having an A team and a B team and playing the more advanced kids up a grade level would help a lot by the time those kids get to high school. Grant is very bad about not playing up a kid who is in 7th grade and good enough to play 8th grade, etc. But the parents complain when a kid is moved up. Lot of work to be done. :idunno:

I talked with a couple of people the other day (one was from another school) about this. He suggested what they should do is to allow ALL the kids who come out in middle school to play. But, considering Grant's size, he suggested at the very least, they should form their own intermural league with 8-12 kids per team. However, (and I thought this was the big thing) anybody that tries out and makes the "travelling team" CANNOT play on the intermural team. He said this way, you don't have teams featuring one or two "good" players that can dribble, shoot and steal the ball, with the remaining players just running up and down the court.

Same thing with the grade schools. Go ahead and hold tryouts for the traveling team. But with four grade schools, let each school form their own intermural team from the remaining players. He said parents may actually like the intermural system, because one, the games would be closer to home. And two, their kids would actually get to play.

This guy said this would accomplish two things. One, it keeps as many kids as possible interested in playing basketball up until high school. Two, it keeps kids competing against players more or less of the same talent level. (He said the "better" kids won't be challenged by forcing them to "play down". And the "lesser talented" kids won't be frustrated by either, not playing, or not touching the ball.)

Then each year, you have new tryouts for the traveling team (it's not an automatic that if you made it one year, that you make it the next). And if you truly have enough to form two traveling teams, then go ahead and form two teams.

I thought this "solution" might have some merit. And considering one of the guys I was talking to had nearly 15 years head coaching experience, I tend to trust his thinking.

I talked with a couple of people the other day (one was from another school) about this. He suggested what they should do is to allow ALL the kids who come out in middle school to play. But, considering Grant's size, he suggested at the very least, they should form their own intermural league with 8-12 kids per team. However, (and I thought this was the big thing) anybody that tries out and makes the "travelling team" CANNOT play on the intermural team. He said this way, you don't have teams featuring one or two "good" players that can dribble, shoot and steal the ball, with the remaining players just running up and down the court.

Same thing with the grade schools. Go ahead and hold tryouts for the traveling team. But with four grade schools, let each school form their own intermural team from the remaining players. He said parents may actually like the intermural system, because one, the games would be closer to home. And two, their kids would actually get to play.

This guy said this would accomplish two things. One, it keeps as many kids as possible interested in playing basketball up until high school. Two, it keeps kids competing against players more or less of the same talent level. (He said the "better" kids won't be challenged by forcing them to "play down". And the "lesser talented" kids won't be frustrated by either, not playing, or not touching the ball.)

Then each year, you have new tryouts for the traveling team (it's not an automatic that if you made it one year, that you make it the next). And if you truly have enough to form two traveling teams, then go ahead and form two teams.

I thought this "solution" might have some merit. And considering one of the guys I was talking to had nearly 15 years head coaching experience, I tend to trust his thinking.

:thumb:

It doesn't bother me what everyone says about me. I just let everyone hear what they don't want to hear. With Grant being a pretty good size school they should be better, bottom line! :thumb:

well, aren't you just a little rebel!!!!

I do agree with you that we should be better considering our size.

Excellent post! :thumb:

Because it is Grant County. Am I missing something or is this a great job? Please advise

It has the potential to be a good program. People in the community want it to be successful. So I guess you are missing something. There has been good talent that has come out of Grant but there has also been a lot of talent that has been overlooked and not reached its potential.

Sounds like Kinman was not the right man for the job if he was there 8 years and all this hasn't been worked out. I agree with Gator, school that big should be better. As my father say's "no excuses just results" Him moving on might be a blessing. No disrespect to him, probably a good man just not a head coach.