Grant County Head Coach Job

marvel

I say hire Hundley. He has played for coaches such as Billy Hicks and Stallings (sp?), he has coached under the likes of Hicks at Scott County and Griesser at Montgomery County. You know that he has a wealth of knowledge and understanding of the game that he has received from these great coaches and institutions. Just based on his former playing days, you know he is going to work extemely hard to make the program the best it can be. Not to mention he would bring with him a re-new spirit to the program and I'm sure some excitement based on his credentials alone. Grant would be a good fit for him, maybe some of those 6'8 Scott County boys walking the halls would decided to transfer to be with him???????????????

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't discrediting them at all. All I said was that the redistricting makes it easier to win the district due to the lack of a big school or two in their district. Any "A" school would love to be in a district with only one non-A school. Coach Jones has done a great job and I commend him and his Wildcats.

Big schools or not the last three years the 31st as a whole has done quite well in the regional big schools or not.

Why no Love for Mefford? I think he would be really Great for the school and the community. Knows how to build a program.

Nothing against Tim...but the way his situation ended at nearby Williamstown just a few years ago, will probably keep him out of the running IMO.

Why no Love for Mefford? I think he would be really Great for the school and the community. Knows how to build a program.

I don't believe he created any dynasty at Williamstown. He did okay with the talent he had but most other coaches would have probably had the same success. I don't think there is a lot of love for him at Grant Co.

Hire Tim Mefford. Excellent coach and great man. Plus he has some boys that are going to be players. Win/win combination.

Nothing personal here either but, his boys...don't think so. Give credit where credit is due. Their father was a good athlete, better at baseball than basketball though. :thumb:

I don't believe he created any dynasty at Williamstown. He did okay with the talent he had but most other coaches would have probably had the same success. I don't think there is a lot of love for him at Grant Co.

Per KHSAA site:

Tim Mefford ('97/'98 to '06/'07 - 10 years) at Williamstown

Overall 102-165 (.382)

District Tournament 3-9 (.250)

Regional Tournament 1-1 (.500)

Vs. Grant County 5-17 (.227)

Had four winning seasons, all consecutive, from '01/'02 to '04/'05

Was District Runner-Up first year as HC, with a record of 7-20. Made it to the 8th region semi's same year. Only 1 district win, and 0 regional appearances since then.

His final two years at Williamstown were 4-23 and 1-25.

Coach Jones does an excellent job and his players believe in him and his system. I do have one thought, his program did take-off after the redistricting took place. They have the benefit of playing in a district with teams their own size. They started winning districts when they were removed from the Oldham District. That said they have represented themselves well the last 2 or 3 years and beat some big schools in the region.

Will have to disagree. Since redistricting the 31st has been every bit the equal of the 29th if not better.

2007-Gallatin defeats Shelby for first regional win since 1959.

Henry loses in 1st round to Anderson by 1 point.

2008-Gallatin defeats Anderson and North Oldham and is 2 "phantom and-1"

calls from going to Sweet 16.

Owen falls to eventual champion Shelby in a game not decided until

the final 30 seconds.

2009- Henry defeats South Oldham and Owen beats Grant to advance to

semifinals where they lose to Shelby and Anderson.

2010-Gallatin defeats Walton-Verona and Owen beats Simon Kenton to

advance to semis where they lose to South Oldham and Shelby.

I might also add that the 2007 Daniel Neely led Owen Co. Rebels could have made a splash in

the regional, but fell to Gallatin in the district.

The 31st District takes a back seat to no one in the 8th Region. The Wildcats took off because they have had talented players and are usually the best passing team in the 8th.

Add that to the fact that nobody cares how many points a teammate may score. All they see is a blue or white jersey and if that player is open they will get the basketball more times than not.

Edited by Mack The Knife

Coach Jones does an excellent job and his players believe in him and his system. I do have one thought, his program did take-off after the redistricting took place. They have the benefit of playing in a district with teams their own size. They started winning districts when they were removed from the Oldham District. That said they have represented themselves well the last 2 or 3 years and beat some big schools in the region.

Mack...I'm not going to debate the winning that Coach Jones and the Cats have done over the past several years. Everything you have pointed out is true. However, I would like to go over what I think SM was trying to express.

First of all, I think all will agree that Coach Jones does do an excellent job and his players believe in him and his system. No doubt about this one.

With regards to his program "taking off" after redistricting took place...it depends on what you're using as a measuring stick. Did the Cats have some quality teams and post some big wins when Oldham and South were in the district? Sure. But, I think SM's point was that getting out of the district was really, really tough. From 2001-2005, Oldham and South Oldham were either the district winner or the runner-up. None of the Class A schools in that district made it to the regional (Gallatin, Carroll or Trimble)

So, SM's point about them starting to win districts (4 out of the last 5) after the redistricting occurred is very much accurate. In fact, the same could be said about the Owen County squad. After failing to win a district game for many, many years, suddenly the Rebels have gone to the region the past three years. Good coaching? Yes. Good players? Yes. A more "equal" district to compete in? Yes.

In fact, SM points out the many wins that you have gone into great detail about in your post. So, I don't think his intention was to slight Gallatin County in any way. But to blindly say they haven't benefitted from being in an "all A" district, would be wrong.

Mack...I'm not going to debate the winning that Coach Jones and the Cats have done over the past several years. Everything you have pointed out is true. However, I would like to go over what I think SM was trying to express.

First of all, I think all will agree that Coach Jones does do an excellent job and his players believe in him and his system. No doubt about this one.

With regards to his program "taking off" after redistricting took place...it depends on what you're using as a measuring stick. Did the Cats have some quality teams and post some big wins when Oldham and South were in the district? Sure. But, I think SM's point was that getting out of the district was really, really tough. From 2001-2005, Oldham and South Oldham were either the district winner or the runner-up. None of the Class A schools in that district made it to the regional (Gallatin, Carroll or Trimble)

So, SM's point about them starting to win districts (4 out of the last 5) after the redistricting occurred is very much accurate. In fact, the same could be said about the Owen County squad. After failing to win a district game for many, many years, suddenly the Rebels have gone to the region the past three years. Good coaching? Yes. Good players? Yes. A more "equal" district to compete in? Yes.

In fact, SM points out the many wins that you have gone into great detail about in your post. So, I don't think his intention was to slight Gallatin County in any way. But to blindly say they haven't benefitted from being in an "all A" district, would be wrong.

That is where you are wrong it is not an all A district. Gallatin by far is the smallest school in the district Owen and Carrol are 2A in football and Henry is 3A. In the past 3 years Owen was not in the all A and last year neither was Henry. It is not a true all A anymore it is the top 125 smallest schools.

Thanks CincySportsFan for understanding what i was trying to say. Coach Jones does an excellent job. The comments Mack made about his players is correct. They do share the ball as good as any team around. Pound for pound they are tougher than any team in the region. My point was just as you understood it. You can't win Regional Games if you don't make it out of district and that was what was happening until the Oldham's were put into a different district. Not trying to slight anyone. Jones has to be considered one of the top coaches in the region if not the best.

That is where you are wrong it is not an all A district. Gallatin by far is the smallest school in the district Owen and Carrol are 2A in football and Henry is 3A. In the past 3 years Owen was not in the all A and last year neither was Henry. It is not a true all A anymore it is the top 125 smallest schools.

Oh for Pete's sake...where to start.

First of all, classification for football means nothing here in basketball. According to the 2009 student populations that I could find for each district...

Gallatin 443 students

Carroll 520

Owen 601

Henry 636

Now, I know Gallatin, Carroll and Owen all competed in this year's "All-A" tournament at Walton, so I guess that means they're part of your 125 smallest. Which means Henry County "missed" by just 35 kids. So, okay...I concede your point...they're not an "All A" district. :isurrender:

The POINT however, was that competing against those three schools in a district tournament, is a heck of a lot easier, year in and year out, than having to go up against a South Oldham (pop. 1011) and Oldham County (pop. 1270).

Oh for Pete's sake...where to start.

First of all, classification for football means nothing here in basketball. According to the 2009 student populations that I could find for each district...

Gallatin 443 students

Carroll 520

Owen 601

Henry 636

Now, I know Gallatin, Carroll and Owen all competed in this year's "All-A" tournament at Walton, so I guess that means they're part of your 125 smallest. Which means Henry County "missed" by just 35 kids. So, okay...I concede your point...they're not an "All A" district. :isurrender:

The POINT however, was that competing against those three schools in a district tournament, is a heck of a lot easier, year in and year out, than having to go up against a South Oldham (pop. 1011) and Oldham County (pop. 1270).

No doubt on that not that Gallatin wouldn't have been just as many times if the districts hadn't changed. I guess what I am saying on this who Grants next coach will be thread is that their district was made easier also and they have not taken near the advantage of that as they should have. Cinysportsfan I agree with you on a lot of your post, was just getting tired of hearing all that all a district nonsense.