Grant County Head Coach Job

marvel

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see what Grant County does with their job. Kinmon had a decent 10 year run. Started out really good and kind of flamed out the last few years. Historically the program is a 500 level program. Some new life to the program could be a good thing, but their are a lot of issues within the district that makes me wonder if they can be successful. Not any athletic program has sustained a long history of winning. That is alarming!

It seems like a good job with plenty of fan support.

As Preachit as already stated, this is probably not true. There ARE some long-standing "supporters" of the program, but their numbers are dwindling. As with most programs, the more vocal ones at the games seem to be the ones that are doing the criticizing. And, as you can imagine, a lot of those are parents. Especially parents of kids who aren't getting a lot of playing time (imagine that).

Student support (in a form of a fan base) is mediocre at best.

They'll have their nights, when they play games against Williamstown or Owen County or Walton, where people will show up to watch. But, other than that, you never really have to fight to get a good seat.

Not any athletic program has sustained a long history of winning. That is alarming!

Whoever gets the head coaching job, needs to take a long, hard look at how Grant County does their feeder system. This past year, I believe they had over 60 kids come out for 6th grade basketball. They cut down to 15!

So, guess what'll happen next year, and the year after...there'll be fewer and fewer kids coming out for basketball. And then they wonder why they may have a 6'5 kid walking down the hall as a junior who's not playing basketball. If they're going to pick their varsity team in 6th grade...it makes them no better than all the Class A schools around them. And it's no wonder why they can't consistently win against them.

Utter deserves the job.

Names I've heard include

Mefford: Old W-Town Coach

Billy Hicks: Probably wishful thinking

Kyle Bennet: Doubt it

Whoever the South Oldham coach is.

It's funny looking at who people are talking about!

Billy Hicks - Seriously?!?!? Why would he leave Scott County? For the challenge?!? Preachit's right on...definitely wishful thinking.

Kyle Bennet - Stepped down as HC at Walton to become their AD. I understand he has a perfect teaching/admin schedule right now, so I doubt he walks away from that. Plus, he's got a young family, and I know he likes the prospect of being able to spend time with them, and watch his kids participate in sports. So again...very, very doubtful.

Tim Mefford - I believe he's an assistant at Simon Kenton right now, so becoming a HC would be a step up, in that fashion. However, he didn't leave Williamstown on a positive note, and I think many at Grant County still remember that. Nothing against Tim, but I don't know that many in the program would deem that a step up right now.

Steve Simpson - Having a wonderful year at South Oldham. As already stated, he is a Grant County alum, and has spent time as their AD and assistant boys HC back in the 90's. I believe his daughter is in her senior year at SO, so after this year, he won't have to worry about uprooting his children from the school. Don't know how much time he's got left until he can retire...so, that could play a factor. The big question will be...does he want to come back "home" and start over...versus staying where he is and building on what he's already got in place? Of the four names listed here, IMO, this one has the best chance of occurring.

As far as Utter is concerned...the big thing that he's got going for him right now, is the fact that he's already a teacher in the system. The wouldn't have to "find" a job for him, the way they would with any other "outsider" coming in. Joe is a very passionate young man, and no doubt would truly love the job and give it 110%. But, at this point in time, I wonder if Grant County may think they need to go "outside" and bring some fresh blood into the program. Only time will tell.

A few coaches that are from around the Grant County area:

Jon Jones- which I hear he has taken interest in the job.

Steve Simpson and

Steve Wright-Coach at South Laurell

I have heard rumors that the first two mentioned may pursue it.

Doubtful about Coach Wright, but you never know.....

A few coaches that are from around the Grant County area:

Jon Jones- which I hear he has taken interest in the job.

Steve Simpson and

Steve Wright-Coach at South Laurell

I have heard rumors that the first two mentioned may pursue it.

Doubtful about Coach Wright, but you never know.....

I have heard this rumor as well...but, it's been more of the "wish list" variety. I'm sure Grant County would love to have Jon come back home. (He like Steve Simpson, is a Grant County alum). But, Jon's wife is from Gallatin County, and I think that would play a HUGE role in whether or not he would take the job. I'd put the probability of him coming to Grant County right now at 10% or less.

I have heard this rumor as well...but, it's been more of the "wish list" variety. I'm sure Grant County would love to have Jon come back home. (He like Steve Simpson, is a Grant County alum). But, Jon's wife is from Gallatin County, and I think that would play a HUGE role in whether or not he would take the job. I'd put the probability of him coming to Grant County right now at 10% or less.

Jon Jones played on the 1979 Grant County 8th Region champs that won over 30 games...

Utter deserves the job.

Names I've heard include

Mefford: Old W-Town Coach

Billy Hicks: Probably wishful thinking

Kyle Bennet: Doubt it

Whoever the South Oldham coach is.

Haven't heard any of these names mentioned for the Head Coaching position.

Names that have been talked about are

Jon Jones: Gallatin

Steve Simpson: South Oldham

Steve Wright: South Laurel

Scott Hundley

I have had no one mention Billy Hicks...that seems rather ludacris for his name to be mentioned.

and..About the comment toward criticizing..well..winning cures that problem. What fans wouldn't complain going from 19-12 to winning just 10 games. Just a tough year for the program and no one enjoys watching a selfish team that does not play together. Best of luck to the Braves tonight at Walton.

Edited by BasketballFreak91
forgot a word...