Grant County Head Coach Job

marvel

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other considerations:

Teaching Position

Can the new coach bring in his own preselected staff?

Vested interest in the county.

I'm curious as to what you mean by that? Do you think the head coach should have family in county, or have originally been from Grant County?

There has been numerous people that said to be a varsity coach in Grant Co. you must work for the school district....how is this so when the Girsl Softball coach does not, Boys soccer coach does not...girls golf coach does not....

It was my understanding that policy only affects the boys basketball and football head coaches.

I have thought long and hard about posting on this subject. I am a parent and coach at Grant County. I have had two sons played for Coach Kinmon and Coach Utter. I first want to say that both of these men are class acts all the way, as well as their assistant coaches they have had this year and in the past. I agree it is much easier to sit in the stands and question every move a coach makes. I agree at times I found my self doing that very thing this year. It is tough to want success so much and not see it happen, but I am not the one spending everyday giving everything I have trying to make the basketball team and program better. These gentlemen were and all I can say is thank you.

As for the 3 young men mentioned in shotdoc's post, not to piggyback 11's post but you will not find a group of finer young men then the three you have mentioned and their parents are great people. I am sure their are pro's and con's for many jobs and Grant County is no different. Whoever gets the job will have a lot of work to do just as any new coach would have in taking over a new team. Whether they choose to stay with Utter or go outside there is work to be done at all levels to improve their "program". I for one would love to see them have two teams at each grade level in middle school. They have a strong youth program and they would benefit by more kids playing basketball through middle school. It would be great to see 18-24 kids trying out for freshman team.

All the names that people throw out sound great but the job was just posted and soon the applications and resume's will be coming in, then they will interview and soon enough the Braves will have a head coach. I can say the people that are in charge of making decisions at GCHS, Claudette Herald, the principal and Scott Shipp the AD will do what is best for the students above all. These people love Grant County and will make sure that they pick the best candidate to run the program. Shipp is all about GC athletics and wants all their programs succeed and will do whatever he can to help make that happen.

All I can wish for as a coach and parent of a braves basketball player I hope that the community, and all those involved will get behind whoever the administration picks and get the fire back in the stands and the supports the program like I hear it was in the past. Best of luck to all the Braves and their upcoming decision.

:clap:

I have thought long and hard about posting on this subject. I am a parent and coach at Grant County. I have had two sons played for Coach Kinmon and Coach Utter. I first want to say that both of these men are class acts all the way, as well as their assistant coaches they have had this year and in the past. I agree it is much easier to sit in the stands and question every move a coach makes. I agree at times I found my self doing that very thing this year. It is tough to want success so much and not see it happen, but I am not the one spending everyday giving everything I have trying to make the basketball team and program better. These gentlemen were and all I can say is thank you.

As for the 3 young men mentioned in shotdoc's post, not to piggyback 11's post but you will not find a group of finer young men then the three you have mentioned and their parents are great people. I am sure their are pro's and con's for many jobs and Grant County is no different. Whoever gets the job will have a lot of work to do just as any new coach would have in taking over a new team. Whether they choose to stay with Utter or go outside there is work to be done at all levels to improve their "program". I for one would love to see them have two teams at each grade level in middle school. They have a strong youth program and they would benefit by more kids playing basketball through middle school. It would be great to see 18-24 kids trying out for freshman team.

All the names that people throw out sound great but the job was just posted and soon the applications and resume's will be coming in, then they will interview and soon enough the Braves will have a head coach. I can say the people that are in charge of making decisions at GCHS, Claudette Herald, the principal and Scott Shipp the AD will do what is best for the students above all. These people love Grant County and will make sure that they pick the best candidate to run the program. Shipp is all about GC athletics and wants all their programs succeed and will do whatever he can to help make that happen.

All I can wish for as a coach and parent of a braves basketball player I hope that the community, and all those involved will get behind whoever the administration picks and get the fire back in the stands and the supports the program like I hear it was in the past. Best of luck to all the Braves and their upcoming decision.

It was my understanding that policy only affects the boys basketball and football head coaches.

Well that is a shame....it is an unfortunate policy that may prevent quality coaches to get the job.

Someone I think the program overlooks because he is the father of Coach Kinmon is Keith Kinmon. Coached a few years of AAU basketball for the 08-09 Varsity team that went 19-11. Very high basketball IQ, not only knows the x's and o's but is a very good motivator.

I have known Mr. Kinmon for a long time and have the upmost respect for the man...plain and simple,he is 100% about winning and he knows his basketball, not just the x's and o's but he gets to the players mindset and i strongly believe he would make a great HC...but like i said before, Grant co does not like people that speak their mind, Mr. Kinmon is one who does often.

Just heard that the coaching position has been posted. Also heard that this has to be out there for 30 days before a decision can be made...is this true?

If so, it will probably take until early May before a coach is named.

Blazer - isn't there an assistant at SL named Sizemore that was looking for a HC'ing job last year? What can you tell us about him?

I think he is going to be a good head coach at some point for some school. He was in the mix for the Knox Central job last year when Evans was hired. He coached South for two games this year when Wright was sitting out his suspension. He has been with Wright for sometime time now and appears to be a up and comer in the world of coaches. He is still young and I am not sure he could handle of program such as South at this time, but at some point he will be ready, just still a little green.

I heard the same thing but how long the hiring process is will be up to the AD and more specifically the principal. She makes the final decesions about her school.

Just heard that the coaching position has been posted. Also heard that this has to be out there for 30 days before a decision can be made...is this true?

If so, it will probably take until early May before a coach is named.

Blazer - isn't there an assistant at SL named Sizemore that was looking for a HC'ing job last year? What can you tell us about him?

Kieth would do a great job but i doubt he gets involved at that level or is he able to?? What do you think Freak91.

Someone I think the program overlooks because he is the father of Coach Kinmon is Keith Kinmon. Coached a few years of AAU basketball for the 08-09 Varsity team that went 19-11. Very high basketball IQ, not only knows the x's and o's but is a very good motivator.

I don't know why this thread has lasted so long. Coach Utter is the obvious choice. He may be the best young coach in the state, and if Grant County lets him get away they'll be kicking themselves in the but when they see him realize his potential somwhere else.Give him a bench full of kids with 6-7 years of AAU experience, and you'll get your W's.