Grant County Head Coach Job

marvel

I don't know why this thread has lasted so long. Coach Utter is the obvious choice. He may be the best young coach in the state, and if Grant County lets him get away they'll be kicking themselves in the but when they see him realize his potential somwhere else.Give him a bench full of kids with 6-7 years of AAU experience, and you'll get your W's.

:laugh: I don't have a dog in this fight. Utter may have some potential but he's not the "John Wooden" that you proclaim him to be. There needs to be new blood with someone who has no ties to the school. Give any coach a bench full of kids with 6-7 years of AAU experience and he would get you W's. For Grant's sake, it better be someone other than Utter.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why this thread has lasted so long. Coach Utter is the obvious choice. He may be the best young coach in the state, and if Grant County lets him get away they'll be kicking themselves in the but when they see him realize his potential somwhere else.Give him a bench full of kids with 6-7 years of AAU experience, and you'll get your W's.

Potential...he may have and only time and a job can tell...however...you're saying if you got a chance to hire Scott Hundley (Mr. Basketball and Division 1 player at Vandy.) and has been asst. under Billy Hicks and Keith Griesser, you would take Utter...?

and if Utter was the obvious choice they wouldn't of opened up the job, please do not insult the AD and Principals intelligence...it would be naive to not open it up..considering some of the names that have shown interest in the job..including Steve Wright (State Title...Numerous trips to Rupp, Several Regional Titles...)

If Utter is the best Candidate he should get it.What bluecollar wrote about him being a hard worker about the job is good but coaching is more than just that. If the AD feels he can bring alot more to the table then hire him. I just want the ABSOLUTE BEST for this job. The Braves, Fans, and Parents deserve nothing less!!!!

considering some of the names that have shown interest in the job..including Steve Wright (State Title...Numerous trips to Rupp, Several Regional Titles...)

As it's already been discussed earlier in the thread, I think it's highly unlikely that Wright would leave his current job. To say that he has "shown interest" in the Grant County position might be stretching it. Somebody may have talked to him and said "Hey, did you know the GC job is open? You ever think about heading back up north?" To which he may have replied "No, not really." Somebody else walking by, hears the first part of the conversation, and suddenly Steve's "interested" in the job. I'll believe it when there's an actual application sent in.

I'd put Wright and Jon Jones in the same group...very, very, very unlikely to leave their current situations. Steve Simpson might be a more logical potential candidate, simply because he may feel he was passed over for the job before....but, even he would be taking a step backwards from his current situation.

After reviewing Shot-doc's pros & cons Utter would be a fool to stay. Go ahead and let the not-nieve AD , Boosters, and School Board pick between Billy Donavan , Rick Pitino, and all the other great coaches fight for this gem of a job.

After reviewing Shot-doc's pros & cons Utter would be a fool to stay. Go ahead and let the not-nieve AD , Boosters, and School Board pick between Billy Donavan , Rick Pitino, and all the other great coaches fight for this gem of a job.

Actually the Boosters do not have a say so in who the new coach will be....

and please do not make a joke of this post. You stated your opinon and I stated mine. No need to get upset.

As it's already been discussed earlier in the thread, I think it's highly unlikely that Wright would leave his current job. To say that he has "shown interest" in the Grant County position might be stretching it. Somebody may have talked to him and said "Hey, did you know the GC job is open? You ever think about heading back up north?" To which he may have replied "No, not really." Somebody else walking by, hears the first part of the conversation, and suddenly Steve's "interested" in the job. I'll believe it when there's an actual application sent in

My mistake, you're probably right, my source was terribly mistaken....

My mistake, you're probably right, my source was terribly mistaken....

Hey, no problem...didn't want it to sound like I was coming down hard on you, though.

The thing that we all have to remember here, is until someone actually puts it down on paper and sends it in to the AD...all this speculation here on "who's interested" is just that, speculation. I'm sure there is more than one coach who may be interested in it, but may not have verbally expressed it yet, simply because his current team may still have been playing ball. How do you think that would go over in the locker room (and in the stands) when you knew your head coach was looking for another place next year?!?!?

So, I think a lot of the true potential candidates may have been tight-lipped up to this point. And, even if they're directly asked about it, may have to "blow it off" for the time being. After all, several of the coaches mentioned here have their teams still playing in the regional tournaments. They'd want no part of this (the Grant County job) becoming a distraction for their kids.

I think once the state tournament begins, and certainly by the time it's over, we'll have a much better idea of who's truly interested in the job. I don't know if it's true that they have to keep the job posted for 30 days or not, but anybody that's really, really interested in the position, is most likely not going to wait until the very last minute, IMO. Especially since everybody has known about this since late December (when Kinmon stepped down), so it's not really a short notice.

It sad how the previous coaching staff ran off this years senior class over the past 4 years, only one kid survived the daily yelling and the other moved into the district. I think its time to clean house and start from scratch including the AD. Many alum support the program to keep it going only to be criticized by staff and parents.....Remember we are here to support the student athletes not the crazed parents ego!!!

As to speak of your cons#4 without the Booster Pres. dedication and interest in this basketball program over the past 15 to 20 years, the program would have had to do on a lot less funds!! This person who I am talking about has only had a grand kid in the program the last 4 years! Any adult much less a teen would dedicate hours weekly for months, if they weren't going to see the court! Common sense you don't waste effort if you are never rewarded!! Remember they are academic students first, being a athlete is just a plus!! Grades will get you $$$ in college, althletic scholarships are like a lottery!

Funny, this years senior class only had 7 or 8 kids try out when they were freshman. One of them transfered to Walton, 1 quit to try and get a baseball scholarship after his freshman year in which he played varsity. One quit this year because he didn't think he would get to play alot. Coaches will always get blamed when programs don't win, but did Kinmon coach any different the last 4 years than he did the first 4 years when his teams were in the Region every year, once going to the semis and once to the finals. Booster president is dedicated and has done a lot for the program, but if he was doing it so that his grandsons would get to play he was doing it for the wrong reasons. JMHO