Grant County Head Coach Job

marvel

Sounds like Kinman was not the right man for the job if he was there 8 years and all this hasn't been worked out. I agree with Gator, school that big should be better. As my father say's "no excuses just results" Him moving on might be a blessing. No disrespect to him, probably a good man just not a head coach.

Kinmon also won one of those districts...against Scott county and I believe they were 4th in the state at the time. Last year was the only year i believe that Grant Co should of won or were the favorites to win in the past 3 or 4 years...Is that Kinmons fault.....could be. But watching that district game, and as others have said including Gator in previous posts, "the coaches can teach teach teach, but if the players do not execute, its NOT the coaches fault".:thumb:

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinmon also won one of those districts...against Scott county and I believe they were 4th in the state at the time. Last year was the only year i believe that Grant Co should of won or were the favorites to win in the past 3 or 4 years...Is that Kinmons fault.....could be. But watching that district game, and as others have said including Gator in previous posts, "the coaches can teach teach teach, but if the players do not execute, its NOT the coaches fault".:thumb:

I don't agree with every statement gator makes just the one i mentioned. That is true every once in a while but year after year? I'm not buying it. If it were that simple we would all actually be head coaches instead of just playing ones on Bluegrass Preps. The bottom line is are you winning at the varsity level as much as you should, less than you should, or more than you should and I would have to say in the past few years Grant Co. has won less than they should.

I agree Grant should be better than they are. Had enough talent to win district last year and didn't get it done. 1 district title since 2003 is not enough. I might be mistaken but Grant only has 3 district titles since 1988!

In just about any other district, I would tend to agree with you on that. However, please remember that up until 5 years or so ago, SCOTT COUNTY was in the district! When you have somebody like that, that is not only a regional contender, but a STATE contender, it makes winning the district just a little harder, don't you think?

And unfortunately for the Braves, as soon as Scott County exits, Simon Kenton comes in, right in the middle of a tremendous run of talent themselves. Last year, however, I will agree with you. Grant should have won the district. Shoot, even Williamstown had a chance to beat the Pioneers, but let it slip away.

Intramurals are a great idea but you have to consider:

1 - gym time

2 - coaches

3 - refs/scorekeepers/other gym supervision personnel

With cheerleading, wrestling, dance team, 6th, 7th, and 8th traveling basketball team it's not easy to implement an intramural program

Great ideas are often easy to throw out but hard to really implement.

I know they used to play in the AAU league with the A schools from Williamstown, Henry, Walton, Owen, Carroll, Trimble, and Gallatin but they did not play this year.

For the record, the elementary traveling league is not an AAU league. It's a nice league and gives the players some higher level competition, but it is not an AAU level league. Tobe an AAU league, the players have to have AAU cards, I believe the team has to be registered with AAU and maybe some other requirements.

In just about any other district, I would tend to agree with you on that. However, please remember that up until 5 years or so ago, SCOTT COUNTY was in the district! When you have somebody like that, that is not only a regional contender, but a STATE contender, it makes winning the district just a little harder, don't you think?

And unfortunately for the Braves, as soon as Scott County exits, Simon Kenton comes in, right in the middle of a tremendous run of talent themselves. Last year, however, I will agree with you. Grant should have won the district. Shoot, even Williamstown had a chance to beat the Pioneers, but let it slip away.

This may be true but all you have to do is come in second to advance to region play. The district now has 2 A schools and SK shouldn't a school the size of Grant Co. be able to win a district game to advance, especially since SK has been way down the last few years but continues to win in that District.

Went back and looked at records over last 10 years. Braves made it to the region 6 out of 10 years. Once losing to Scott County and once losing to Simon Kenton in first rounds. So 6 out of 8 times Grant faced an A school in District play and won. That is 75% of the time. THe problem is only one time did they upset someone in District play in 2003 to win the District. School this size should have upset Simon Kenton somewhere along the way.

Went back and looked at records over last 10 years. Braves made it to the region 6 out of 10 years. Once losing to Scott County and once losing to Simon Kenton in first rounds. So 6 out of 8 times Grant faced an A school in District play and won. That is 75% of the time. THe problem is only one time did they upset someone in District play in 2003 to win the District. School this size should have upset Simon Kenton somewhere along the way.

How many times have they been in the last 5 years? I really don't know and was wondering.

My point is that since they have only 36 middle school basketball players, that nuetralizes the advantage of being a larger school district. Grant Co. is a large school district with an 'A School' mentality. Until that mentality changes and there are two middle school teams with players "allowed" to move up as their ability allows them to; the big school philosophy will never materialize. I look at Walton and I see players being moved up (8th graders playing jr. high and freshman) and a very active elementary program, they are a small school doing whatever they can to try and win. Those players have three or four years of high school experience when they are sophomores.

At GC they high school and middle school programs are almost different entities with little or no collaboration.

Grant went to Region 4 out of the first 5 years Kinmon was at the helm. 2 out of the next 5. Then this year they didn't go as well. SO they have only made the Region 2 out of the last 6 years, that is unacceptable!

:sssh: Be nice.