Grant County Head Coach Job

marvel

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, this years senior class only had 7 or 8 kids try out when they were freshman. One of them transfered to Walton, 1 quit to try and get a baseball scholarship after his freshman year in which he played varsity. One quit this year because he didn't think he would get to play alot. Coaches will always get blamed when programs don't win, but did Kinmon coach any different the last 4 years than he did the first 4 years when his teams were in the Region every year, once going to the semis and once to the finals. Booster president is dedicated and has done a lot for the program, but if he was doing it so that his grandsons would get to play he was doing it for the wrong reasons. JMHO

Also one kid that decided to dedicate his time to soccer.....

another, just simply had other interests and was burnt out of basketball.

Kinmon had nothing to do with these 2 quiting.

It sad how the previous coaching staff ran off this years senior class over the past 4 years, only one kid survived the daily yelling and the other moved into the district. I think its time to clean house and start from scratch including the AD. Many alum support the program to keep it going only to be criticized by staff and parents.....Remember we are here to support the student athletes not the crazed parents ego!!!

alot of those "crazed" parents and their egos' are also alum.

the parents support the program as well as coach kinmon, more than anyone.

Funny, this years senior class only had 7 or 8 kids try out when they were freshman.

IMO, this is one of the main underlying problems that Grant faces. There's no reason why you couldn't/shouldn't have two to three times that number trying out with a school size of Grant's. My belief is that the situation at the feeder level is what the next head coach needs to address. Hope the AD, principal, boosters and fans realize that success won't be achieved overnight.

I would have to agree the feeder system needs some improvements. Yes, that would take time, $, and support. I think better commitment of players in the off season to develop skills would improve the program with immediate results. Every time the school gets a class that is totally committed to basketball...that is when they tend to have their better years. Also on another note the booster president at Grant may put more hours in than any school booster I have ever seen. As for the extra assistant position this year, I don't beleive the boosters paid $3000 to get it. I believe the boosters helped with the elmentary program which was ran by the coaching staff to pay for that extra coaching position this year. Correct me if i am wrong?? The 4th (varsitiy assistant) coach in any program is very beneficial. IMO I think Grant not only needs to fill the head spot but add some more staff. Why not have a head freshman coach and a freshman assistant, Jv and assistant, and varsitity assistant. I know it may cost and people would make comments about boosters paying for a coaching position?

I would have to agree the feeder system needs some improvements. Yes, that would take time, $, and support. I think better commitment of players in the off season to develop skills would improve the program with immediate results. Every time the school gets a class that is totally committed to basketball...that is when they tend to have their better years. Also on another note the booster president at Grant may put more hours in than any school booster I have ever seen. As for the extra assistant position this year, I don't beleive the boosters paid $3000 to get it. I believe the boosters helped with the elmentary program which was ran by the coaching staff to pay for that extra coaching position this year. Correct me if i am wrong?? The 4th (varsitiy assistant) coach in any program is very beneficial. IMO I think Grant not only needs to fill the head spot but add some more staff. Why not have a head freshman coach and a freshman assistant, Jv and assistant, and varsitity assistant. I know it may cost and people would make comments about boosters paying for a coaching position?

I agree, any good team will always have quite a few coaches..not just one per level.

You didn t get the point that Booster president has dedicated many years to the program even before he had a grand kid! The kids and his Love for Gc basketball would be the only reason I could imagine why anyone dedicate so many hours!!

What the heck does that have to do with hiring a coach?:ohbrother:

What the heck does that have to do with hiring a coach?:ohbrother:

Exactly, why all the personally crap that was listed in shotdoc's pros and cons! I do believe it was taken to vote for the boosters to pay for an asst. coach salary to be added to the staff to assist in the elm. program. If it was paid or if the elm. program was profitable enough to pay for itself are figures I haven't seen on a fiancial report and don t care. The most important thing at hand is that GCHS needs a COACH and staff and they need everyones help! So volunteer a hour, come show your support, encourage a player or even a new player to try out. Anything to improve a program!

I just don't think this is a premier job for all the discussion going on.

It may not be premier to some people like yourself but to a young coach or just any coach looking for a change/challenge, it's an excellent opportunity.

Do you think Coach Jones (no disrespect here either - he's an outstanding man) looked at your Gallatin County program as the premier starting point? No, but he's turned this into a premier program and there's swagger in the kids now. Most of the posters on this discussion are probably from Grant Co., who are sharing their views and showing the support that they always have. :D