Grant County Head Coach Job

marvel

Agreed. My applogies if I offended anyone in My Pros and Cons post.

It's funny how different people read things in different ways. I read your list of pro's and con's, and thought you were right on. I didn't take your comment about Coach Kinmon and the community the way a couple of other people must have. I just assumed you were referencing the fact that things have been done in a certain way for a long period of time, and that anybody coming in wanting to change different aspects of the program, might initially experience a reaction as such.

But, like the others that have already posted, I think Coach Kinmon will be behind whoever gets the position and hopes he's able to take it to the next level.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a completely different question for everybody. As opposed to "who" is interested in the job...WHEN should Grant County have a decision made? I realize this isn't like college ball, where you've got recruiting to worry about. But, how long do you let the position sit in limbo? Surely you'd want to have someone in place before the school year lets out, right? But, even at that, given the number of "out of district" candidates that everybody has mentioned, even at that, the new head coach might not even be "visible", even if he were named today. So, what say you BGP...what should Grant County's deadline be?

Played for Grant in high school.

Coached 3 years middle school in Shelby.

This is his 4th year as teacher and assistant coach at Grant.

Works Hard at everything.

I would say he has a small advantage in getting the job unless the school just wants an outsider.

I don't know much about Joe Utter...what chance does he have to keep the job????

You would think they would make that decision as soon as possible. Like...right after the state tournament?

I have a completely different question for everybody. As opposed to "who" is interested in the job...WHEN should Grant County have a decision made? I realize this isn't like college ball, where you've got recruiting to worry about. But, how long do you let the position sit in limbo? Surely you'd want to have someone in place before the school year lets out, right? But, even at that, given the number of "out of district" candidates that everybody has mentioned, even at that, the new head coach might not even be "visible", even if he were named today. So, what say you BGP...what should Grant County's deadline be?

The new coach can start open gyms and have the kids in the weight room. The rules say that there can be no on court instruction. This would help the coach to get to know his players. Therefore, it is important that the coach get hired as soon as possible...my prediction is right after the state tourney.

Thanks I was just curious. I don't see him leavig South Laurel either.

I think you are right, but Wright does lose 4 good seniors and I know he looked at another job prior to this season, but did not want to up root his son who is a senior at SL. I know he is looking for another challenge, which I had heard him say several times and his assistant (not roscoe denny) is really pushing him to retire or move on...could be the right jog at the right time?

Lurked aroudn BGP for many years and have enjoyed reading everyones humor and insight associated to HS basketball. Basketball has been a passionate part of my life for 35 years; player, fan, coach, referee, spectator, and most importantly - a parent. IMO, the GC program has experienced a few memorable highs and some unwanted lows during these yrs. Coach Kinmon and Coach Utter have always been respected and have done an excellent job considering the circumstances that were imposed on them by a previous administration. Its difficult to build or improve a program without the resources/facilities and looking back at the post from "ShotDoc - The Pros and Cons at Grant", he/she is correct for most comments. Interested coaches should take note of these too! However, I too have taken note to comment #4 in the con section. The 3 players pointed out here are first class students who have their act together and have shown great sportsmanship over the years. I know for fact that the asst supers kid have never approached/complained about a lack of playing time. He's a straight "A" student, #4 in academics jr. class, and an excellent golf, which is his bread and butter to the next level. If anything were ever said to a coach, it was the father asking a coach to push him harder or standing up for another player. And yes, all 3 of players were part of the successful freshment and jv teams that you mentioned. Now that you've taken their ball and gone home, do you think the kids will have a chance? Probably not!

Whomever the coach will be, Coach Utter or a new one, there is definetly an opportunity and challenge awaiting them. Good luck to whoever applies and I can honestly say that the community will support you. If Coach Wright from SL were to apply and get this job, I've been told it'd be like a family reunion down there :)

Your are Correct! Once again, I appollogize for offending anyone for the pros/cons of Grant Post. Complaining does not need to be to a coach for it to be complaining. Every coach and staff member of any sport team is critisized and under a microscope. The audience is often parents and sometimes staff member of families whom most people may not know. I personally know a staff member at Grant very well and people talk about the program everywhere, stands, restroom, concession stands, to and from building as if people can not hear them. The staff member i know always says he does not care about what fans are complaining about or who is complaining. Just what it takes to improve. Critizism is part of the game. I did not intend to direct anything toward the crediability of any atheletes. Again I appolligize.

Lurked aroudn BGP for many years and have enjoyed reading everyones humor and insight associated to HS basketball. Basketball has been a passionate part of my life for 35 years; player, fan, coach, referee, spectator, and most importantly - a parent. IMO, the GC program has experienced a few memorable highs and some unwanted lows during these yrs. Coach Kinmon and Coach Utter have always been respected and have done an excellent job considering the circumstances that were imposed on them by a previous administration. Its difficult to build or improve a program without the resources/facilities and looking back at the post from "ShotDoc - The Pros and Cons at Grant", he/she is correct for most comments. Interested coaches should take note of these too! However, I too have taken note to comment #4 in the con section. The 3 players pointed out here are first class students who have their act together and have shown great sportsmanship over the years. I know for fact that the asst supers kid have never approached/complained about a lack of playing time. He's a straight "A" student, #4 in academics jr. class, and an excellent golf, which is his bread and butter to the next level. If anything were ever said to a coach, it was the father asking a coach to push him harder or standing up for another player. And yes, all 3 of players were part of the successful freshment and jv teams that you mentioned. Now that you've taken their ball and gone home, do you think the kids will have a chance? Probably not!

Whomever the coach will be, Coach Utter or a new one, there is definetly an opportunity and challenge awaiting them. Good luck to whoever applies and I can honestly say that the community will support you. If Coach Wright from SL were to apply and get this job, I've been told it'd be like a family reunion down there :)

Just heard that the coaching position has been posted. Also heard that this has to be out there for 30 days before a decision can be made...is this true?

If so, it will probably take until early May before a coach is named.

Blazer - isn't there an assistant at SL named Sizemore that was looking for a HC'ing job last year? What can you tell us about him?

Regardless of the time, making the right choice is most important. I know the AD personally and his heart beats for GC athletics. I hope coach utter gets it but if he doesn't, I trust the AD and Principal have an even better candidate lined up. All of the names mentioned are pretty solid candidates.

Other considerations:

Teaching Position

Can the new coach bring in his own preselected staff?

Vested interest in the county.

While i personally do not agree with some of the athletic philosophies, I do care about al of the athletes in the basketball program on the girls and boys side. I do believe that the AD and Prinicipal are very professional and will give fair consideration to all candidate, including coach utter. The well being of the student athletes is the most important thing in everyone's eyes.

There has been numerous people that said to be a varsity coach in Grant Co. you must work for the school district....how is this so when the Girsl Softball coach does not, Boys soccer coach does not...girls golf coach does not....

Your are Correct! Once again, I appollogize for offending anyone for the pros/cons of Grant Post. Complaining does not need to be to a coach for it to be complaining. Every coach and staff member of any sport team is critisized and under a microscope. The audience is often parents and sometimes staff member of families whom most people may not know. I personally know a staff member at Grant very well and people talk about the program everywhere, stands, restroom, concession stands, to and from building as if people can not hear them. The staff member i know always says he does not care about what fans are complaining about or who is complaining. Just what it takes to improve. Critizism is part of the game. I did not intend to direct anything toward the crediability of any atheletes. Again I appolligize.

Well personally....after watching the Braves this season I would probably be voicing my opinion as well. Grant Co is bad about not wanting people to speak their mind. Once someone does...they're looked down upon and people take it as "complaining" to make it seem bad that someone has voiced their opinon.....