2024 Mayfield Cardinals

DevilMayCare

8asrrj.thumb.jpg.daf4ecbe2394f7d0b01615078260a2ea.jpg

2023 Outcome

Record: 13-1

Reached the finish line first in a track meet with Owensboro Catholic to claim the storied program's 13th state championship. 

🎓 ‘Juju’ Starks (RB/DE) | Zane Cartwright (QB) | Xavier Biggers (ATH) | Braden Morris (WR/DB) | Landon Kemp (TE/LB) | Ethan Kemp (TE/DL) | Mack Whiteside (LB)

🔙 Ian Williams (LB/TE) | Carter Morris (LB) | Tre Jackson (OL/DL) | Zane Cook (OL) | Caleb Mathis (OL) | Thayer Henley (OL) | Diego Torres (DB) | Mak Hoover (WR) | Malik Kirby (WR)

🔗 Mayfield's 2023 Statistical Leaders

2024 Outlook

The climb to the top last year was one for the ages. The Cards will have to one up themselves to defend the crown after suffering the loss of talent at the heart of that ascent. This is Mayfield, mind you. Anything less than a semifinal appearance would be a disappointment, but the departures of Starks, Biggers, and Cartwright will leave a void that could take longer than one year to fill. The offensive line may be the heart of the team next season, and there's no better building block for success than the guys doing the dirty work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Cardinals will be just fine next year. Next years OL will likely be their biggest and deepest they've had in a long time, mixed in with experience and a few up and coming underclassmen. They also return both their defensive interior linemen in Tre Jackson and Ashton Rogers as well as all 3 starting LBs. They'll be extremely tough to run the ball against. Starks was a great back and will be missed, but, they have 3 or 4 fast and athletic guys to fill that void and a potential star in England, who'll be a sophomore and is already over 200 lbs with power and speed to burn. They have 2 or 3 proven WRs in Kirby, Morris and Hoover along with a couple high potential younger kids that will give them solid depth. They also return their TE who made several big plays for them this year. Losing Cartwright is the only player that they lose that'll be hard to replace. The Robbins kid got alot of playing time last year in lopsided wins and may struggle early, but, I expect by the time playoffs roll around will be performing like a seasoned veteran. He's got good size and arm strength and will end up being a good one before all is said and done. I expect they'll take a step back in the kicking game, just not sure how big a factor that turns out to be. Overall, expect Mayfield to reload and be right in the hunt for another title. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Tracy House said:

We will just have to see what happens in Cardinal land, when you think the Cardinals are down to nothing, Coach Joe Morris is up to something.

Oh come on Tracy, I know you have a lot more than that to say about the 2024 Cards.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:35 PM, Tracy House said:

We will just have to see what happens in Cardinal land, when you think the Cardinals are down to nothing, Coach Joe Morris is up to something.

Doesn't seem like they are down to nothing - not even close. The only position of concern is QB. But that position is never a problem at Mayfield. They have a system on offense that is proven. Plug in the QB, teach him to throw the safe passes - the quick slants and bubble screens. With the line, RB's and WR's Mayfield will have, the QB will be able to grow into the role. Mayfield is the preseason number 1 until someone shows us they shouldn't be.

As far as preseason #1, I wouldn’t even come close to that. If OC keeps their qb, big if, they are #1. If they don’t, Beechwood is #1. I do think Mayfield will reach the semis again. However, that has a lot to do with the RPI. I suspect the Cards will lose at least a couple of their first five games. That could really hurt in the RPI. 

• Thanks 1

Mayfield will be just fine.  They lost a bunch of skill kids, but they will find a way.  Their line play was supposed to be their achille"s heal last year and developed into a strong core.  Most of those kids are back and their defensive box play is going to be strong and physical.  I have a hard time finding a team that will have success running the ball on them. I would put them at #1 preseason. 

OCath with Atwell is just returning 1/2 offensive starters.  I understand they have several transfers that will help but not sure if that merits being over the state champ.  Beechwood will be the top contender and they will not be challenged until they semi-state, and that too, is a big maybe.  

Mayfield will be a contender by the end of the 24 season. I look for them to have some growing pains in 24 but they have will have a stout defense and a bunch of potential on the offensive side of the ball. The qb position is up for grabs, at least that's what I'm told. They will have a pretty good runner in the England kid and a proven receiver in the Hoover kid who will be just a junior. There is is some uncertainty for Mayfield but spring ball we will know a little more.

I will say Mayfield should be the favorites again in the 25 season but in 24 it goes to Beechwood but I think Mayfield won't lay down for them if they happen to meet.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:03 PM, theguru said:

Oh come on Tracy, I know you have a lot more than that to say about the 2024 Cards.

No, we will just have to see what happens, you know this is AA  football anything can happen to make or break your season.😜😜

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2023 at 7:45 PM, DevilMayCare said:

2023 Outcome

Record: 13-1

Reached the finish line first in a track meet with Owensboro Catholic to claim the storied program's 13th state championship.

2023 Regular Schedule:
Aug 18 vs. Graves County (Win) 42-7
Aug 25 vs. Hopkinsville (Win) 59-6
Sep 1 at Paducah Tilghman (Loss) 35-28
Sep 8 vs. McCracken County (Win) 48-14
Sep 22 at Henderson County (Win) 38-24
Sep 29 at Caldwell County (Win) 63-7
Oct 6 - OPEN
Oct 13 vs. Crittenden County (Win) 46-6
Oct 20 vs. Murray (Win) 49-14
Oct 27 at Christian County (Win) 72-8
Nov 3 - OPEN

I've been able to confirm these games thus far for the 2024 season:

Aug 23 at Graves County
Aug 30 at Hopkinsville
Sep 6 vs. Paducah Tilghman
Sep 13 at McCracken County
Sep 27 vs. Henderson County
Oct 18 at Crittenden County (District)
Oct 25 at Murray (District)

The 2024 schedule will also include their district game against Caldwell County. If they leave things the same as last season, that game will be falling on October 4th at Mayfield.

• Like 1